Do premium cellular carriers holdback twers or channls frm their flanker brands? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By JamesK

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 2017-10-19, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Question Do premium cellular carriers holdback twers or channls frm their flanker brands?

When I was negotiating a retention plan with my carrier, I didn't take too seriously my carrier after I told them I would be switching to another carrier like Public Mobile or Koodo when they said the coverage won't be as good as the non-flanker brands like Telus.

I often hear complaints from people regarding their internet after subscribing to name brand resellers like CIK or Teksavy. I also heard complaints about Canadians buying US Roam Mobility SIM cards and how service is poor in some locations despite being well served by T-Mobile. Roam Mobility uses T-Mobile towers for those that don't know.

It's human nature for many that they would rather hear comforting lies than unpleasant truths. Is there legislation in Canada to prevent carriers from restricting access to cellular towers or channels even on their own network?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 2017-10-20, 12:07 AM
Veteran

My understanding is that this is false.

But even if it's true, my experience is that the signal strengths are hardly different.

I know this by comparing identical phones that my SO and I have, one which was on Bell, the other on Koodo. We seemed to get identical service levels on the Telus network in Alberta.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 2017-10-20, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

I think that may be true in general, but not completely. In a fringe location, it stands to reason that the premium carrier would offer full access to its premium subscribers compared to their flanker providers; after all, the subscriber is paying less, usually a lot less for the flanker service. If you want unrestricted access and all the network features, you can go with the premium carrier and pay more?

Last edited by 57; 2017-10-20 at 12:33 AM. Reason: Unnecessary Quote Removed

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 2017-10-20, 01:16 AM
Veteran

I've been in fringe areas of Alberta, and it was true there. Specifically, the two phones had the same service level.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 2017-10-20, 07:58 AM
Veteran

Let's not forget you were talking to a sales person.
Jase88 likes this.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 2017-10-20, 09:45 AM

An interesting anecdote that speaks to this question:

My cottage in Eastern Ontario has no Rogers coverage. Excellent Bell/Telus coverage in the area. Whenever friends/family visit with Fido phones, a Rogers "discount" brand, their phones roam perfectly on Bell's network. Rogers customers get no roaming or coverage. So far no roaming fees have been noted. It seems there can be benefits to using the discount brand that go beyond price.

Professionally, having worked in the industry previously, the only "traffic prioritization" that I'm aware of is reserved for emergency services (police, fire, ambulance, etc). For example, some police forces use cellular networks for their mobile communications (voice and data).

DMX 68' tower, HyGain HAM 5 rotator, Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 2017-10-20, 10:05 AM
Veteran

^^^^
????
I'm on Rogers and when I was in Bancroft a couple of years ago, I had roaming on the Bell network. There was no charge for it.

Extended Coverage

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 2017-10-20, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmm888 View Post
...service is poor in some locations despite being well served by T-Mobile.
In terms of customer service, TMO is excellent. Though that statement in reference to their coverage is an oxymoron.

DMX 68' tower, HyGain HAM 5 rotator, Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 2017-10-20, 10:32 AM

@JamesK We're about 30km south of Bancroft. Not sure if this is a local cell tower oddity, or if our visitors using Rogers had incompatible plans. I did attempt to use a portable wifi device (on Rogers) this summer at the cottage and couldn't get extended coverage on the Bell network.

Either way, good to know that most Rogers customers are also eligible for extended coverage.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 2017-10-20, 10:52 AM
Veteran

I think I can understand the question as do premium brands and their child brands have the identical coverage? Well if you want a proper answer to this question, do not ask a Customer Service or Sales associate for an answer, if you do, you will get conflicting information. My advice is to ask someone who actually works in the correct field. I myself have worked in the Wireless RF field for many years and can tell you that coverage is identical. no one consumer gets priority with one brand over another, now for emergency personnel, police, that is a different story.

Bell Satellite TV, 9400 HD PVR, 65 Inch LED TV, Smart Blue Ray Player, No sound system.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 2017-10-20, 04:53 PM

The coverage will be identical. However, sometimes new network technologies are rolled out to the main brand before they're available for the flanker brands. Public Mobile, for example, still has plans that are limited to HSPA only.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 2017-10-20, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

I think I should rephrase my question: Does Telus prioritize network access (not to be confused with features) for their premium subscribers? Apparently, this was raised at one point with Bell and their MVNO where Bell denied it. It's actually common in the USA where the sub companies have less priority on the network.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 2017-10-20, 10:29 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase88 View Post
In terms of customer service, TMO is excellent. Though that statement in reference to their coverage is an oxymoron.
Tmo prepaid does not have the coverage of their contract sims. Also roaming with prepaid is less. There is some truth to the op at least with tmo in the usa.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 2017-10-20, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Prioritizing of network access is fairly common folks: What is a Virtual Mobile Network? | Investopedia

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.