Rogers PAYGo Auto-Saver (Now Auto Top-up) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 101 (permalink) Old 2008-08-12, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Rogers PAYGo Auto-Saver (Now Auto Top-up)

Hello,
just curious if anyone has used the Auto-Saver benefit with Rogers Pay as You Go plans.

According to the website:
Auto Saver Benefits

Saves you 20% off regular local calling minute rates (when you sign-up for pre-authorized monthly credit card top-up of $20 or more).
Convenient automatic monthly airtime top ups.
Unused airtime AUTOMATICALLY carries over to next month.
Eligibility

A valid credit card must be provided to participate.
Customers are required to enroll in automatic monthly credit card top ups.
Included with all price plans:

Free local Incoming calls from other Pay As You Go customers
Call display
Access to Voicemail with NO monthly fee****
On-screen Voicemail messages waiting alerts
Call Forwarding
Group Calling
Call Waiting
Calls to *611 Self-Care Customer Line, *225 to check account balance & *868 to top up your account
Any unused airtime is rolled over when you top up your account before the expiry date

Any hidden things I should know about? It makes the rates of packages more reasonable (e.g. All Day play becomes $0.20/min for first 5 min and $0.12/min for all other minutes that day - plus, unused minutes are carried over, a common complaint)

If anyone has used it or is happy with it, please let me know. I am shopping for a good PAYG plan or an affordable monthly plan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 101 (permalink) Old 2008-08-12, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

As I was reading numerous posts on this forum, I saw that some believe a pay as you go plan with $0.10/min would be a great deal. With this Auto-Saver, it makes it pretty close (after the first 5 min of the day however).

I hope someone with experience on this plan can comment. If these rates are correct and there isn't anything hidden, a plan with these rates with the option of automatic top-up and minutes that carry forward sounds attractive (considering it's Rogers!)
post #3 of 101 (permalink) Old 2008-08-13, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Hello,
I'm surprised no one has a comment on this Auto-Saver feature.

Anyway, I've gone ahead and signed up for Rogers pay as you go (I already had a Rogers phone and SIM card). After shopping around, I thought these rates are pretty good.

First 5 min (of each day) = $0.20/min
Subsequent min (of each day) = $0.12/min

At the very worst, $20 will give you 100 minutes of talk time. At the very best, $20 would give you approximately 158 minutes of talk time (assuming you consume the entire amount in a single day).

[Edit Note: This is just one of their PAYG plans. If for instance you want to blitz evening and weekends, they have a better plan with unlimited talk from 6-8 for $0.80/day, for instance]

I was given a $10 credit used toward my account and there was no charge for activation or for registering a new phone #. Also, Call Display and Unlimited Incoming TXT is included ($0.15/txt sent). Other than the monthly 911 fee, everything is included.

Also, make note that the Auto-Saver feature does not begin immediately. However, if you ask, they will make your initial credit purchase does not expire before the Auto-Saver kicks in. However, once Auto-Saver begins, your minutes DO NOT expire and will roll over every month.

Overall I think this is very good and I'll have to wait and see if my actual usage lines up with the plan.

post #4 of 101 (permalink) Old 2008-08-14, 01:51 PM

An alternative to the autosaver is the $100 pre-paid card that's good for 1-year. The rates ($0.25 for the 1st 5 minutes, $0.15 after) are not as good as the autosaver. But for someone who really doesn't need that many minutes its the cheapest way to go at less than $10/month. I have this now but I'm starting to use more and more minutes so I may switch to the autosaver.
post #5 of 101 (permalink) Old 2008-08-14, 04:49 PM

I used the Rogers PAYG with auto-saver when I needed a second phone temporarily. I had absolutely no problems with the service, billing to my credit card, etc. Your credit card will be billed a couple of days before your monthly renewal date to ensure the charge clears and the time is credited on time. Unnecessary maybe, but it was all explained up-front.

I even was impressed when I no longer needed the service and called to cancel. The CSR noted I had "time in the bank" and extended the expiry for 90 days so I could use the balance. Not the stereotypical Rogers experience.

Perhaps the only downside is that the PAYG call centre, which is located in NB, is not open weekends and late-night. If you want to make changes to your plan, you have to do ti during extended business hours but you can buy more minutes any time.

Once upon a time, you could not use PAYG outside Canada. I think that has changed and you can now use the phone in the USA. Check first if this matters to you.
post #6 of 101 (permalink) Old 2008-08-14, 05:07 PM

Also Rogers just introduced unlimited web browsing on PayGo. For $7/month you get unlimited web access through the wap settings. Rogers says that only Rogers-branded phones can be used but there are reports that (for now at least) any unlocked non-smartphone will work also.
post #7 of 101 (permalink) Old 2008-08-14, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
An alternative to the autosaver is the $100 pre-paid card that's good for 1-year. The rates ($0.25 for the 1st 5 minutes, $0.15 after) are not as good as the autosaver. But for someone who really doesn't need that many minutes its the cheapest way to go at less than $10/month. I have this now but I'm starting to use more and more minutes so I may switch to the autosaver.
Yes, that is an alternative, if you don't spend any more than $10 per month in air time. Since I know this line would consume the $20/month that is automatically withdrawn, I thought it was a good plan. The average usage was 80-90 minutes, which $20 would cover and have roll-over minutes.
post #8 of 101 (permalink) Old 2008-08-14, 11:21 PM

"Once upon a time, you could not use PAYG outside Canada. I think that has changed and you can now use the phone in the USA. Check first if this matters to you."

Worked, (for me) in the USA for the first time ever this past weekend in upstate New York. Unicell amd ATT were the providers shown on the phone. Never worked in the USA before, so no idea what the rates are.

I have used Rogers PAYG for 5 years with no issues whatsoever. I have a fairly huge balance as I was on the $25 monthly top up for a while and wasn't really using the phone. Now $10 a month.

"Your credit card will be billed a couple of days before your monthly renewal date to ensure the charge clears and the time is credited on time"

My card is charged 3 days before I get the credit. The "charge" clears in a split second. There is no reason whatsoever for the delay.
post #9 of 101 (permalink) Old 2009-05-01, 11:29 AM
Rookie

One thing to be aware of with Rogers Auto Saver is to be very careful about keeping your credit card info up to date. I had my credit card stolen and... since I don't use the phone that much (I can go weeks without making a call)... it took me awhile to realize what was going on (i.e... that my old credit card number was still associated with the account and that's why the minutes I had been adding manually kept running out... even if I never used the phone). I got no warning from Rogers. I got warnings about my minutes being gone... but not about my credit card and/or the potential for being banner from auto saver.

When I finally got in touch with them... they told me the card had been rejected three times... so the SIM card would be banned from using Auto Saver for life. They said it was "impossible" to reinstate the plan.

I explained to them that I don't use the phone that much so I didn't put two and two together. I explained to them that my card was stolen and they were trying to charge a card that no longer existed. I explained to them that HAD tried to change my credit card info online awhile ago but their website did not offer that option... so I just started topping up manually... and didn't understand why my minutes kept expiring. I explained that I tried to call them a few weeks earlier (on a weekend) but they were closed. I explained to them that they gave me no warning. They said that wasn't their job. I explained that even when I DID realize what was happening... I didn't think it was that critical. How could I have known? I just topped up manually and figured I would call them again later... on a weekday. None of that mattered. The only thing Rogers told me was "No"... P.F.O.

They did say I could buy a $100 card. Don't want that. They did say I could buy a new SIM for $40 and lose my number. Not a good option. And I don't even understand that. If the rule is in place to protect them from people with bad credit (and I have excellent credit... I only use PayGo because I don't use the phone that much)... then what difference does a new SIM card make? I'm still the same customer!

Anyway... they were not at all accommodating. They said it was "impossible" to reinstate auto saver. "Impossible". Nice. I started to get upset and the women on the other end of the line just kept talking over me. She wouldn't even listen. She just kept trying to shut me down. She kept cutting me off and talking over me. And she kept blaming me. She blamed me numerous times. Yes... I should have called sooner. And I'd planned to. And I DID call and explain everything!!! But it was too late. And again... I had no idea they were going to place a lifetime ban on auto saver on my SIM. How could I have known that? Unless I read all the fine print legalese when I'd bought the thing three years ago.

I haven't given them a cent of my money since. I'm planning to start my own business within the next year and at that point I will become a HEAVY cell phone user. But it certainly WON'T be with Rogers. Rogers can suck it.
post #10 of 101 (permalink) Old 2009-05-01, 03:42 PM
apn

Auto-saver is a good idea if you're just on the threshold where usage still makes PAYGO attractive over a post-paid plan. It's not worth it for me, since most months I just don't use $20 of airtime or SMS fees, but some people might save money switching to a post-paid plan.

I took the latter route of the $100 voucher (from Costco). It's good for a year, and the week before my time was expiring (Mar01) I received an incentive TXT offering a $10 credit if I added funds to my account before the end of Feb. I added my voucher on Feb28 and received the credit, plus my unused credits rolled-over.

Finally, I've used my phone on recent trips to the US and UK. Since these were short trips, I didn't bother getting a prepaid SIM, hence swallowed Rogers roaming airtime @ $2.50/min, but it was just a couple of short urgent calls and the odd text.
post #11 of 101 (permalink) Old 2009-05-02, 12:37 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Curious. Can the credit card automatic withdrawal option be used for $10/mo top ups and rollover of unused funds, or only if you agree to the $20/mo? I noted that the $20/mo gives other features, but I don't believe we'll need the $20/mo.

We have not had a cell phone other than my wife's phone which was supplied through work and we're considering getting a phone, but plan to use it very sparingly. (ie - cellphone newbie)

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #12 of 101 (permalink) Old 2009-05-02, 08:59 AM
apn

From the Auto-Saver tab on the table at the top of this page:

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/wi...10=paygo_rates

Code:
Auto Saver Benefits

Saves you 20% off regular local calling minute rates (when you sign-up for pre-authorized monthly credit card top-up of $20 or more). 
Convenient automatic monthly airtime top ups. 
Unused airtime AUTOMATICALLY carries over to next month.
Hence you might be better off on the $100/year voucher if you want Rogers. The benefits on Rogers PAYGO are international roaming and monthly data/txt plans.

However, if these are not important and you need a basic phone, then 711-speakout has better airtime rates ($0.20/min), (iirc) $25 top-up has 1year expiry and I'm told they recently added the ability to top-up online.
post #13 of 101 (permalink) Old 2009-05-02, 10:55 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
I saw that page, which covered Auto-Saver. What I was asking is if Rogers will do a $10/mo automatic withdrawal from a credit card? Sorry if that's a bit OT for this thread, I just equated auto-withdrawal a bit with auto-saver...

I also read that the $100/year voucher is somewhat tricky to get in another thread, but I'll investigate that as an option once the time comes.

post #14 of 101 (permalink) Old 2009-05-02, 11:16 AM
apn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57 View Post
I saw that page, which covered Auto-Saver. What I was asking is if Rogers will do a $10/mo automatic withdrawal from a credit card?
Based on that page, I'd say no, but the data presentation is not ideal; best to call to confirm.

The only other paygo option I've found that does automatic payment is Virgin. However, in that case, it's balance, not time based. My wife has a Virgin paygo mobile, and like Rogers, $100 is valid for a year, but she has automatic credit card top-up of $100 when her balance reaches $5

What I'm not sure about yet on Virgin is if the unused balance is carried-over at the 1 year mark.

Constraints are Virgin is CDMA (Bell) and again, no international roaming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57 View Post
I also read that the $100/year voucher is somewhat tricky to get in another thread, but I'll investigate that as an option once the time comes.
Er, no;

1) Drive to local Costco and park the car.

2) Walk into store and present membership card. If not available, proceed to customer service, where the nice lady will take your picture, ask for some $ and give you a card.

3) Walk over to the cellphone stand and ask for a $100 Rogers Paygo card. The sales associate will give you a piece of paper with the activation/PIN scratched out.

4) Take the piece of paper to the cash register, and a runner will fetch you another unscratched copy of the paper (voucher), which you get to keep after providing payment.

post #15 of 101 (permalink) Old 2009-05-02, 11:22 AM

apn, thanks for the info. I see you're very helpful in these phone threads. I guess I will have to call Rogers. Being a newbie to cellphones, I have other questions. I'll cover them all at the same time - I just don't trust CSRs or salespeople to provide accurate info.

Don't know if I'll become a Costco member just for the $100 voucher...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.