Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Rogers iPhone 3G Owners discussion and review thread

54K views 159 replies 57 participants last post by  canabiz 
#1 ·
Well it arrives July 11th and I know many of us would love to have one of these babies. I for one can't afford one but hope to someday!

If you have get one, please tell the Digital Forum members what you think and your review!

Thanks in advance

Signed,
Sad in Toronto

(Folks wishing to discuss whether they should buy one or pricing please post on other threads. This thread is strictly for the lucky ones that have one!)

#145 ·
Iam on fido with a iPhone and wanted to know does the iPhone support name display when someone calls, I sub to that package but only get the phone number, I called fido and they said the phone does not support name display iam wondering if this is true?

#148 ·
iPhone app that locks most of your info when you lend your phone

I think I read about an iPhone app that allows the owner to lock most of the apps and data, so when they lend the phone to someone, the borrower cannot access photos, contacts, web, etc. Does anyone know what it's called? I can't seem to find it.

Ricketty

#150 ·
iPhone 3G now...or wait for new iPhone ?

I've been reading as much as I can find on the new iPhone, mostly speculation of course. A better camera ? that's of little use to me. Sounds like the wi-fi will be upgraded to 'N', but I only have 'g' at home anyway. It's not really a bottle-neck for internet speed around our house. (we're in the country and have a wireless service) The potential of a faster processor sounds promising, do current iPhone owners find this a problem right now ? Maybe good to have for future apps. Then there is always the promise of more flash memory. Do current iPhone owners find the 8G or 16G to small ? That's a lot of music !! Not so much for movies ? I guess what I am really dancing around whether to purchase the current iPhone or wait it out a couple or 3 more months to get the new model. I don't have an iPhone now, I just own a basic clam-shell phone...so I must admit I do have to suppress that urge to just run out there and get it !! ;) Since the new OS will work on the 3G model, I'm just not sure if the wait is actually going to be worth it. Tough to make a decision while trying to compare a real phone to speculation. thoughts ? advice ?? Thanks !

Ted

#151 ·
More battery life and a more powerful processor would help. The phone chugs along at times with the more demanding web pages and games, but overall its pretty good. I have a 16GB and its plenty enough for my music tastes, which is wide, and I have a big library but I dont care to have it all with me anyway. If you will have movies, even 16GB will be smallish.

The camera is fine, it needs a better lens and software package to give us better quality snap shots.

I would wait personally, as it will likely cost the same and you will benefit from the development improvements for the year.

#153 ·
The faster processor might allow Flash objects in the web browser on the phone, that is one thing I really wish I had but that may not be enabled upon launch.

I have a 16 GB phone and I use about half of my storage. I wouldn't be able to hold many movies / TV shows on it so having a 32 GB or larger would be nice but it is not bad.

The newer version of the phone is likely to cost more if they add storage.

Since it is so close to new model possibly being launched, I'd wait to get the details before deciding. If you can wait, great. Remember it involves a 3 year contract so having the newest phone is not a bad thing.

#154 ·
IPhone signal strength

I presently have a Motorola Razr with Telus as my provider. When I am in my house I have to go outside to make a call because the signal strength is weak (no bars). My contract is up soon and I am thinking of getting an Iphone with Rodgers.
I live in South Windsor; can anyone who has an Iphone or has Rodgers in South Windsor tell me what their signal strenth is indoors. I want to discontinue my landline and go wireless if I can.

#155 ·
jailbreak and contacts etc?

Has anyone jailbroken their 3.0 yet? I just went through all the steps and seem to have it done properly BUT I have lost contacts etc?

Do I need to resynch? I also get this message on itunes about setting up my new phone? or restore?

Sorry I am confused

#157 ·
Anyone notice on a 3g 3.0 with jailbreak that things are a little more sluggish?

Once I'm in an app, things seem to move reasonably well, but there's lots of times when a tap from the home screen doesn't seem to register for up to 10 seconds. :(

I jailbroke with Pwnage Tool on my Mac, then RESTORED FROM BACKUP of phone (settings, music, mail accounts, etc. etc.).

#158 ·
Folks, can you bring your iPhone overseas and continue to use the built-in GPS for maps and points of interest (restaurants, landmarks, attractions etc) without racking exorbitant costs in roaming charges?

I am travelling to Europe towards the end of this year and I have been debating about getting an iPhone and download some neat travelling apps and bring it along. Obviously, if that will result in 3 or 4-digit bills from Rogers/Fido then I guess I will download the European maps onto my Garmin Nuvi 350 then.

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.