Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

How to stop spam from Fido

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  hugh 
#1 ·
Recently I got angry with email spam that I was receiving from my wireless phone provider, Fido Communications.

Like most Canadians, realizing there is little that I can do about junk email, I typically just delete all spam email from my Inbox and move on with my day.

The reason I was angry is the Fido spam emails contained some of my personal account information. Since the email messages were sent without any encryption, it meant that any hacker intercepting Fido emails could glean personal information from Fido account holders.

Determined to stop the spam from Fido, I logged onto my Fido Online profile expecting to find a profile option that would allow me to stop the spam emails.

What I learned is that Rogers Communications, the owners of Fido, does not allow customers to opt out of its spam email nor do they allow you to opt out when you sign up for their service. It seems that once you sign up for online billing with Rogers Wireless or Fido Wireless (which you have to do if you wish to avoid paying $2 per month for a printed invoice) you are automatically signed up to get their spam email.

After some investigation, however, I have learned that you can opt out if you phone the company at 1-888-481-3436 and tell them that you no longer want to receive spam email. After two to three weeks you will be removed from Fido's spam email lists.

If you are a Fido customer and if you think this policy of spamming customers with unsolicited email which contains personal billing information then I encourage you to contact the Fido Privacy commissioner at privacy@fido.ca.

See less See more
#3 ·
After I wrote is I learned that Privacy@fido.ca is no longer a valid email address. Apparently it got too much spam!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.