Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Cell Tower Plans

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  HenryWiggers 
#1 ·
Hi:

I've been searching the web for a source of information about cell provider plans for new tower installations.

I've found lots of info on existing towers but virtually nothing about what may be in the works. I'm about to spend a pile of cash on an antennae tower and booster kit so it would be nice to know that if something new was coming soon I would just wait for that. I have not tried contacting the providers directly yet but may do so. You would think the CRTC would have public information on applications they receive (or have approved) for new towers but apparently not.

Anyway, let me know if you have any links or ideas!

Thanks

#2 ·
As one who has worked on new cell sites, I doubt you'll find much. You'd have to search things like licences for short haul microwave links, municipal records for building permits etc. Also, it's Industry Canada, not CRTC that issues the licences.

#4 ·
@ihrytsak the federal government isn't involved in tower approvals unless there is an irreconcilable dispute at the local level. A new tower requires a public consultation process for the immediately surrounding area (three times the tower height,) so there will usually be a record with your municipality (there are some exclusions.) It may not be a lot of notice, but at least you can find out is one is going up next month.

Here are some useful links:

Facts about towers - For citizens - Industry Canada
Click on "For new towers"

CPC-2-0-03 ? Radiocommunication and Broadcasting Antenna Systems - Spectrum management and telecommunications

#5 ·
^^^^
There may be building permits at the municipal level, particularly if the installation requires significant work on an existing building. I have been on top of several buildings and seen what the various carriers have. Freedom tends to have a small cabinet, but Rogers, Bell & Telus have large structures, about the size of a shipping container. Those require significant support. All require power, etc. This sort of work tends to leave a trail of permits etc. Of course, Industry Canada licenses all the radio equipment, both cell and short haul microwave.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.