Unlocking your Cell - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 2015-06-18, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Unlocking your Cell

Finally off my 3 year contract with Bell and with new wireless code.. Bell will still charge $50 to unlock. after calling in (40 minute wait and transfer) they will call you back in 3 days. call back done @7.30 pm on 3rd day. rep confirmed $50 charge even though we stated we've been with you for 3 years + and can unlock online for half that price. she said nothing she can do. Thanked her and said goodbye... unlocked online and will be off to a new carrier (orange). sad to give up my 6 G plan for 80$ but paying half that for 5 Gb is more appealing.. sorry for the rant. please help to continue this topic.

Notes: A service provider that provides a locked device to the customer as part of a contract must
for subsidized devices: unlock the device, or give the customer the means to unlock the device, upon request, at the rate specified by the service provider, no later than 90 calendar days after the contract start date.
for unsubsidized devices: unlock the device, or give the customer the means to unlock the device, at the rate specified by the service provider, upon request..
Device Unlocking Fee: $50

Last edited by creepwalker; 2015-06-18 at 08:39 AM. Reason: adding a note
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 2015-06-18, 09:42 AM
Veteran

What exactly is your rant? That Bell has a 50 buck fee to unlock the phone. They can charge whatever they want and you can go and get it done for cheaper even locally.
For my old phone. I personally would not have kept it as a phone since it can't do LTE.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 2015-06-18, 10:23 AM
Veteran

Of course you can get it done cheaper online! Carriers aren't going to charge the same as a third-party service as they're all about making a profit!

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 2015-06-18, 11:10 AM
Veteran

Bell sometimes provides the unlock code for free on their web site. Just log in to your account and go to the devices page. The unlock code is there for my phone. Then just find instructions on how to unlock your phone.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 2015-06-18, 12:59 PM

I don't see anything on the site for unlocking... mind you, I bought an S5 last December and when I tried to register the IMEI the site told me "your current plan is not compatible with that device, please pick a new plan"... um, nope. So as far as the Bell website knows, I'm still using my SGS3. BUT - my account also shows that I am now eligible for an upgrade (I bought my S5 outright).
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 2015-06-19, 12:02 PM
Veteran

eBay has something called "Universal Turbo Sim Unlock Card" that I'd never seen before. It's a thin card you insert into your phone instead of using an unlock code. Sells for less than they sell unlock codes (but of course takes longer to ship from China).

Anyone ever heard of these? My wife's contract is up in February and I'm already starting to think along these lines.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 2015-06-19, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

My rant is after 5 years and buying a Note 4 outright there is no loyalty... i was with them for before but went to Fido and after rogers bought them and changed my plan i went back to bell... Bell who calls me weekly to offer me deals to change my contract, or give a me "new " phone at twice the current plan. ( we have 2 cell phones on bell. again i get a loyalty call today.. and i said thanks but no thanks.. my phone was unlocked online and i'm moving on. Let them charge (whatever they want ) to unlock but people need to know there are cheaper options and if asking gets you nothing then they deserve to get as little as they can.

p.s. i got chocolates from Bell today. other half did not not.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 2015-06-20, 12:30 AM
Veteran

There is no loyalty by the internet/TV/cell companies and customers today.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 2015-06-20, 12:31 AM
Veteran

There is no loyalty between companies and customers anymore.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 2015-06-20, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

i agree.. why there should be any loyalty when there is a choice or lack thereof at times... i like that Wind has cheaper plans but coverage is a big issue at the moment.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 2017-10-19, 01:11 PM
Rookie

I am a couple days away from unlocking my Bell cell phone and switching to Public Mobile. I already have the unlock code I purchased online as well as a new SIM card from Public Mobile. My question is, after removing the Bell SIM card and unlocking the phone with the code, will it still work on the Bell network if I decide to put the Bell SIM card back in? And what if I had gone a step further and already connected to the Public Mobile network and got the phone working on that network?
Thx in advance :-)
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 2017-10-19, 01:16 PM

I believe once it is unlocked it will work on any compatible network as long as you have a proper SIM and a paid account with the exception of calling 911 which I believe all phones must be able to access regardless of whether they have a paid account. Someone can correct me if I am wrong on either point.

LOSat
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 2017-10-19, 01:40 PM
Veteran

LONsat is correct. The most you might have to do is manually configure APN settings so that data will work, but sometimes phones will get that info automatically as well.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 2017-10-19, 02:31 PM
Veteran

I've done this as well. The phone should remain fully functional with Bell after being unlocked. BGY11 brings up a good point about APN settings. Bell data should still work but APN settings will likely need to be reconfigured after switching to Public Mobile.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 2017-10-19, 05:35 PM

I've switched SIM cards many times when travelling internationally and never had an issue. Just pop the SIM in and you're good to go. Never had to fuss with settings at all. Everything, talk, text, data, all work. I use an iPhone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.