Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Chromecast and Telus Actiontec Router

16K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  xiegeo 
#1 ·
I thought I would try out the Chromecast and immediately ran into a problem connecting to the Actiontec V1000h router (firmware version 31.121L.13).

A quick Google search led to the solution - change the router firewall settings from NAT Only to High. Problem solved - Chromecast works.

The question is: in changing from Telus's default NAT Only setting to High, am I reducing my firewall security significantly? Another Google search couldn't provide any specifics on the various firewall security level settings.

Any thoughts?

#3 ·
Just for the heck of it I went back into the router and reset the firewall settings to the NAT Only default and........the Chromecast is still working. Go figure. I'll see how long it lasts.
Perhaps the problem is transient only for the initial setup process.

Thanks for the reply.

#4 ·
I've had numerous connectivity issues with the actiontec.
1 day everything works, next day networked equipment can't be reached,
Had DLNA issues with equipment connected to an unmanaged switch talking to my main PC directly connected to the router.

Ditched the actiontec and haven't looked back.

#8 ·
Using a purchased teksavvy zyxel modem with factory firmware in bridge mode.
To a Netgear Nighthawk Router, which feeds an unmanaged switch, also feeds an Asus RT-N65U which I use to extend my wireless network and as another switch

My home network is far more complicated than it ever was and about 1000 times more stable.
I tried running the actiontec with my Nighthawk setup up in DMZ, but I ran into gaming lag
I think I've rebooted the zyxel once or twice since I put it in, something I used to say about the actiontec, but telus seems to make it worse each time they update their firmware. I left Shaw cause I had to reboot the modem several times daily. I was starting to feel the same about the actiontec.
The internet access wasn't my issue like it was with shaw, just the general network use and stability. Not to mention the wireless was horrible.

#10 ·
I was getting huge amounts, way more than milliseconds, I was getting like full seconds, people were jumping across the screen playing any fps

Could be something wrong with my actiontec, but I was getting tired of it anyway so I got a zyxel for cheap on craigslist.

#12 ·
from what I researched any VDSL modem should work,
I knew the zyxel would for sure becuase telus used to use it, took a bit of configuring though,

try resetting the actiontec, plug your router wan port into the actiontec,
reserve the router IP and set the router in the actiontec DMZ, should work
then your router will control all network routing ip assignment etc.

just make sure you change the router ip so it doesn't conflict, my netgear uses 10.0.0.1 so its good to go out the box.

#13 ·
I have things 90% working this way (my router in the Actiontec DMZ) but the one thing that doesn't work is NAT Loopback.

I have a bunch of stuff I normally connect to via the WAN IP. This works great, unless I'm in my LAN. The Actiontec router doesn't support NAT loopback, and since it's the first thing in the chain, it prevents this from working.

I'm trying to work around it with IP tables in my router, but so far, no luck.

#14 ·
Loopback doesn't work with the Actiontec router. You can't access your own WAN IP address from the LAN side of the Actiontec. It's annoying if you have apps on mobile devices set up to access a home server or camera via your WAN IP address - they won't work when you're at home on your own WiFi network. It's an Actiontec firmware issue rather than a Telus issue. Some other routers have the same issue.

The Chromecast does work on the Actiontec V1000H router, but it's a bit erratic. Google puts it in their "not supported" router model list. It's difficult to say what the problem is, but at times the control devices can't seem to see the Chromecast, while at other times everything is fine with the same router settings. When it's not working you have to try various measures up to and including doing a factory reset on the Chromecast and setting it up again from scratch. It's probably a bug of some sort in the Actiontec firmware.

#16 ·
I have a work around for loopback if anyone is interested:

1. Get a domain name for your public ip. One for each server or service you have. Use a Dynmic DNS service for fast updates and anonymity. (I use changeip.com, their free tier never bothers you with reactivation emails.)
2. Go to DNS Host Mapping page (in the telus router it's under Advanced Setup -> IP address), and put the domain name as DNS Host Name, and the local ip address of the server in IP Address. This is basically a hosts file for anyone using the router as DNS server.
3. Test it out. To debug, clear your DNS cache, and make sure you are using DHCP auto assigned DNS settings.

nat loopback workaround.md

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.