Wake on Lan over Internet w/ Actiontec V1000h
I'm trying to get Wake on LAN to work from anywhere to my laptop which is plugged into my Telus Actiontec router via Ethernet.
The relevant info is:
- Wake on LAN works within my home network. My iPhone on Wifi can turn my laptop on from shutdown within my LAN. Thus I've set everything up from the laptop's side. The utility I used to send the magic packet was "Scany" for iOS.
- I used a Wake On LAN monitor utility and found that the requests my iPhone was sending were over UDP port 9. Monitoring port 9 on my laptop and sending the request from my iPhone over LAN (you don't specify a port when over LAN with Scany) showed the Magic packets being sent.
- I have attempted to forward port 9 UDP to 192.168.1.255, the broadcast address. I then sent a WoL request from my iPhone (Scany) to my external IP, port 9. My intention was to send it to my IP, and then with that port forwarded to the broadcast address, for it to detect my MAC address and turn the computer on. It isn't seeing the packet, clearly.
- I also tried adding an arp entry of 192.168.1.10 FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF by telnetting into the router (yes I am able to Telnet). Then I removed the port 9 UDP port forwarding for 192.168.1.255 and replaced it with forwarding to 192.168.1.10.
- Still doesn't work. I've tried other WoL utilities on Windows and have the same result - can do it from LAN, but can't do it from outside my LAN.
Has anybody gotten this to work?