Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Shaw modem question?

6K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  BGY11 
#1 ·
Hello folks

I currently have a modem ( provided by shaw) and a wireless router (bought separately)

Both are kinda old and I am looking to replace them. On the shaw website they are advertising their advanced wifi modem and I was wondering if these are two pieces of equipment combined into one?

Another question is if I bring in the old shaw modem will they replace it with this new one for free? In the past they let me exchange my old modem with the modem I have now for no charge.

Thanks

#4 ·
If you're happy with your router, or if you have a Wireless AC router, I don't see any reason to go with the Shaw Advanced Wifi modem. If you use your own router, you may choose to disable Shaw's built-in wireless and DMZ your router to minimize conflicts.

The main selling points for the Advanced WiFi modem are convenience, better range than some other routers, and that Shaw only has to deploy one type of modem. Disadvantages are that it's limited to N only, Shaw controls the firmware, and some people have reported problems changing the DNS servers (e.g. for unblock-us).

#6 ·
Are you sure? When they initially launched the Advanced Wi-Fi modem, there was confusion over whether the Shaw model actually supported AC, so I asked Shaw about it directly and they told me that their Advanced modems supported N only and not AC.

#8 ·
OK, well if the router configuration page says so, it probably came with that feature enabled. I stand corrected. The fact that it has an "a/n/ac" mode confirms that it has a dual-band (5 GHz) antenna, as A and AC don't use 2.4 GHz. Additionally, the 80 MHz (and 160 MHz) channels are only available with AC.

I think the confusion stems from the fact that Shaw refers to several different modems as "Advanced Wifi" modems. The one I heard about was Arris/Motorola SBG6782, which had an N router. It seems now they also have Hitron and Cisco DPC3848V modems, both of which are AC.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.