You may need to update your Rogers email account settings - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 2017-05-08, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
You may need to update your Rogers email account settings

I got an e-mail from Rogers on one of my e-mail accounts this morning. Interestingly I only got it on one of our accounts, not the other three accounts that my wife and I have.

At first I thought it was phishing, but it appears that people who use certain e-mail clients (like Outlook) will have to reconfigure those clients for a "new password" (app password). Webmail doesn't appear to require the change.

The e-mail states:

Quote:
Important: You must update your Rogers email account settings.

Protecting your data is as important to us as it is to you. Rogers is making several security upgrades and implementing a new authentication system to further protect you and your data.

Rogers requires you to update your email settings to continue using your email account.

It only takes a few minutes of your time to ensure you have uninterrupted access to your email.
There is a link as follows indicating the people who need to do this, as well as instructions on how to do it:

Updated Link: https://www.rogers.com/customer/supp...email-settings

Another Link: How To: Updating your Rogers Yahoo! Email Settings - Rogers Community

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 2017-05-09, 07:12 AM
Veteran

I didn't get the email yet, but I was told they were moving off Yahoo. That was supposed to happen on April 24.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 2017-05-09, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
I also read that POP would no longer be used and everyone would be forced to IMAP after April 24th. I believe these rumours were a poor interpretation of something written about e-mail forwarding, which doesn't affect normal e-mails. Anyway, back to the topic of this thread. I haven't bothered changing my password(s) yet as I have only received one notice out of four e-mail addresses...so far.

I also noticed over on Rogers' Forums that some people were having password issues on various mobiles. Perhaps impacted by other changes being performed by Rogers recently, like the security certificate issue in February.

Rogers e-mail Client - Security Certificate Issue

At least this time we got notice before our e-mails stopped working properly...

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 2017-05-09, 02:17 PM

Curious as to WHICH email address you got it on 57?

Wonder if its only going to the account PRIMARY one?

GDKitty
Rogers 9865, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Onkyo HT-R690.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 2017-05-09, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

I have an interesting situation in that my "primary ID" is not actually used for e-mail. This primary ID was established when Rogers changed from "@Home" in late 2001. Under the primary Rogers/Yahoo ID, I have 4 e-mail addresses - 3 for me, 1 for my wife. The Rogers e-mail came to one of mine, which may have been the first e-mail address established outside the "primary ID". I really don't remember the details of what happened 15 years ago.

I have three e-mail addresses because I have one for personal, one for "business" and one "disposable" for on-line purchases. They all automatically download to my Outlook client.

I started personal e-mail with Rogers around 1999, but had business (company) e-mail since around 1980.

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 2017-05-09, 07:01 PM
Veteran

I have only one account on Rogers, yet still haven't received that email yet.

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 2017-05-09, 07:14 PM

I have 4 email accounts with Rogers. I received the email notice on my Primary account on Monday, and today I received the same email on all my secondary accounts.

Samsung LN52A650, Samsung LN40A450, Samsung BD-D6500 Blu-Ray, Sony BDP-S350 Blu-Ray, Sony HT-SF2300 HTIB, 2 x 9242
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 2017-05-10, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

My wife received her notice this morning. I have not yet made the recommended changes. I'll wait to see how this plays out in the various forum threads first. Here's the thread over on Rogers' Forum:

You must update your Rogers email account settings - Rogers Community

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 2017-05-12, 06:03 PM
Veteran

Thunderbird and Seamonkey email apps appear to support the new method. Here's some info on "OAuth".

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 2017-05-12, 10:28 PM

@JamesK

I've been experimenting with this today and I'm not sure I completely understand the results. My primary Rogers e-mail is only used for advertising and web site sign-ins so is set up as POP3 with filters to forward interesting messages to other IDs. This is done through Thunderbird. I have a test Rogers e-mail ID that I use in order to leave my main e-mail undisturbed.

I set up the test ID under Thunderbird as IMAP. This allowed me to select OAuth2 as the authentication method. When I did this, it reported that OAuth2 was not supported for this account. OAuth2 is not offered for the POP3 account.

I then set up the test ID on MAC OS Mail (El Capitan), again using IMAP. OAuth2 was not offered as an authentication option. I read in the Thunderbird support that it supports OAuth2 for POP3 accounts, but does not offer it as a configuration option if the e-mail server does not support it.

I conclude from this that Rogers/Yahoo have not yet enabled OAuth2 and won't do it until the deadline date. At that point, OAuth2 would be enabled. But how does the authentication protocol get changed on the client? I read the Wikipedia article, and then read a basic introduction on the Oauth.org site. It appears that when OAuth2 is used the first time, the customer will be asked to authorize access to the e-mail resources by the application. I can't figure out whether OAuth2 has to be enabled on the client or whether it will be automatically enabled by the protocol.

I guess I just have to wait until the deadline date to see if it all works.

My contingency plan is to set up a new GMail account and change the Rogers/Yahoo e-mail to forward all mail to the Gmail account. This has a risk to it as Yahoo has on occasion disabled mail forwarding.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 2017-05-13, 08:12 AM
Veteran

Yahoo, who provides Rogers email, is apparently deprecating POP, so they probably won't support this with it. On Thunderbird, you can change it with the password Authentication method button. I have no idea about Apple computers. I'm allergic to their stuff.

I have set up OAuth on GMail with Thunderbird and it appears to work there.

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 2017-05-16, 05:12 PM

I also ran a couple of tests using OEClassic (an Outlook Express 6 look-alike) in both Windows 7 and Windows 10.
I submitted the changes using Windows 7 and there was no interruption in my sending and receiving.
Then I booted into Windows 10 and did a Send & Receive test without the recommended changes and there were also no interruptions.
Strange.
So I called Rogers and they told me that if you have your POP3 e-mail client set to automatically send the password, the changes aren't necessary.
They are only required if you have your e-mail client set up so that you have to enter your password manually every time you connect...who does that?
Web mail is unaffected.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 2017-05-31, 11:36 PM

I am still getting the message to update my account settings. I have been using WLM for years. E-mail is still working smoothly and my password is automatically sent on all accounts. I will wait this one out.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 2017-07-13, 11:49 AM
Rookie

update warning

Got a second warning today to update my email account, but they send gibberish instructions that the majority of people probably don't understand.

I have no idea what an APP password is and I'm not going to screw up my email account playing around because some bored IT guy thought up a new way to bugger up everybody.

I'm not computer stupid, but I also know my limits on what I can and can't do

I have a couple of Yahoo email accounts, but those are for when I sign up to something and I don't want emails in my main account.

Don't people have enough passwords? Don't tell people your passwords or reply to phishing emails and you won't get hacked.

Been on line since 1997 and never been hacked or passwords stolen.

So far no problems with Office Outlook

DON
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 2017-07-13, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

I have received several "warnings" with the last one this week indicating that the deadline for making the changes is approaching. The instructions in the link in post 1 don't appear that difficult to follow, but I have not yet changed my Outlook Password to the APP Password.

If you only have one e-mail address on one device, it should be relatively straight forward to create the app password in your Rogers/Yahoo account and copy it into Outlook (or whatever client you use). It gets a bit more bothersome if you have more than one e-mail address and more than one computer/device.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.