Rogers Gigabit Internet - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 2015-10-05, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Rogers Gigabit Internet

Rogers announces gigabit internet and world's largest commitment to live sports broadcasting in 4K with HDR
Quote:
Delivers gigabit internet speeds to entire footprint by end of 2016
Perfect for streaming 4K, Rogers Ignite Gigabit internet will start to roll out this year in downtown Toronto and the GTA, including: Harbourfront, Cabbagetown, Riverdale, King Street West, Queen Street West, the Financial District, Discovery District, Yonge and Bloor, and more, as well as Vaughan, Markham, Richmond Hill, Pickering, Ajax, and Whitby. By the end of 2016, Rogers Ignite Gigabit internet will be available to over four million homes - Rogers entire cable footprint across Ontario and Atlantic Canada. This investment to bring customers gigabit internet speeds supports Rogers commitment to delivering the fastest speeds to the most Canadians. Today over 3.4 million homes in Ontario can get Rogers internet speeds up to five times faster than the competition can deliver to most homes.

"The number of devices connected to the internet in the home is increasing and they are consuming more internet every month. With our Gigabit roll out, customers can watch TV in 4K and still have all their devices in their home streaming movies and shows with clearer picture quality and less buffering," said Laurence, noting it's an experience telephone copper wire technology cannot deliver. "We don't have to pick and choose which customers can access the fastest speeds, our technology will deliver it to virtually all our customers. Canadians shouldn't have to wait for the best home entertainment experience and fastest internet speeds."

Even better streaming in 4K
A new partnership with Netflix will directly connect the Rogers network to Netflix servers, enabling a better Netflix experience with faster start-up times and superior image quality. Netflix will also be available on select cable set top boxes and Android devices from Rogers.

"Our partnership with Rogers will make it even easier for Netflix members to watch their favourite shows and films on their TVs," said Bill Holmes, global head of business development at Netflix. "Members with a Rogers 4K set top box will be able to enjoy Netflix original series in 4K, a more immersive experience with stunning picture quality."

To be among the first to get Rogers 4K TV, 4K set top box and Rogers Ignite Gigabit internet with unlimited usage for $149.99, please visit Rogers.com/4K to reserve.
To connect your home with download speeds up to 1 Gigabit per second you’ll need the new Rocket Gigabit Wi-Fi modem, included with the Rogers Ignite Gigabit Internet service. More info in the FAQ:
http://www.rogers.com/web/support/ac...v4k-ignite/389

Please use the following thread to discuss 4K TV:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/61-r...t-top-box.html

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2015-10-05 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Added FAQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 2015-10-05, 03:16 PM
Veteran

You can get more info here, at Rogers 4K TV + Rogers Ignite Gigabit Internet . Upload speed will be bumped to 50Mbps, which I guess is all they can do for now under Docsis 3.0 and the new Ignite Gigabit tier 1000/50 will be priced at 149.00 unlimited with modem included.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 2015-10-05, 03:33 PM
Veteran

I am paying $116 for Hybrid Fibre 250. For another $30, they are going to quadruple the speed?

Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

Once (if?) it comes to Brampton, that is....
post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 2015-10-05, 05:11 PM
Veteran

I think it's a little bit over priced. I think it should be priced at $90, but maybe I'm dreaming.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 2015-10-05, 09:53 PM

Maybe.

But you have to look.. that's a DEAL compared to not even, what 1-2 years ago?

The 150mbps service used to be around that price... now the 250 is less than $100.

GDKitty
Rogers 9865, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Onkyo HT-R690.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 2015-10-06, 05:44 AM

Hopefully they will combine this rollout with introducing IPV6 availability...that would seem like a no-brainer as they will have to be changing a lot of head end kit with those speeds.
I hope that Guelph, being a University town will be fairly early in the rollout after the places they have already said will be first.

I will be signing up for this, just for the internet. Don't really careabout 4K TV... but then I haven't seen it yet!
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 2015-10-06, 08:14 AM
Veteran

^^^^
A few years ago, I was working on the Rogers LTE roll out. All the network gear we installed was IPv6 ready.

As for a university town, yesterday I was on a job at a bank in York University. They're talking about getting fibre in at only 10 Mb. They'd have to pay to have the fibre brought in from Keele St.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 2015-10-06, 10:11 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
^^^^
A few years ago, I was working on the Rogers LTE roll out. All the network gear we installed was IPv6 ready.
Hasn't it been a few years since any IPv4 only commercial equipment was installed?
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 2015-10-06, 07:05 PM
Veteran

^^^^
Around that time, I called Adtran. They said their switches could handle IPv6, but not the routers. I'd really be surprised if there were any switches or even hubs that could not pass IPv6. So, at least 4 years ago, Adtran wasn't ready. Also, there are 2 things to consider:
1) Can a router pass IPv6?
2) Can the management interface work over IPv6

With Cisco, the answer is yes. With Adtran, in 2011, no.

One of the reasons Comcast moved to IPv6 was there weren't enough RFC1918 addresses to even manage their network, without breaking it up into segments.

post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 2015-10-06, 09:42 PM

Also they still have a lot of older Customer site gear that will need changing and presumably there will have to be some major V6 testing...after all they certainly don't want their CSRs to be swamped with calls about "what is this /64" and "why does my XP machine not work the way it did last week"

As far as I can tell W7, W10 and all Linux distros I've tried in the last several years...send them an RA packet offering a V6 prefix and they'll set themselves up and start using V6 right away so most of it should be transparent.
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 2015-10-06, 10:36 PM
Veteran

^^^^
XP SP3 supports IPv6.

As you mention, Linux has for several years, as does Android. Apple has said apps for the App store will have to support it too.

post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 2015-10-10, 04:38 PM

Actually i'm surprised that the monthly charge is as good as it is .Do you think they will make it symmetrical when docsis 3.1 comes along ?
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 2015-10-10, 05:40 PM
Veteran

^^^^
That would depend on how it's delivered. If over coax, then it will always be asymmetrical due to the way the cable plant works. If via fibre all the way, then it might be symmetrical.

post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 2015-10-11, 05:38 PM

Would docsis 3.1 at least provide the possibility of a boost on the upload if not totally symmetrical ?
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 2015-10-11, 06:10 PM

It's definitely possible but Rogers had announced this will not be a symmetrical service. Upload I think is 50mbps

Tags
gigabit ethernet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.