Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Rogers & IPV6

39K views 135 replies 13 participants last post by  JamesK 
#1 ·
I had started a thread a couple of weeks ago on the Rogers Community Forum about IPV6 and today I got a reply pointing to http://ipv6.rogers.com/
and there was a whole lot of info about V6 at Rogers and a section on tunneling.
As I have a compatible router I immediately tried it and it works quite well. Does all the good stuff including router advertisement so my Ubuntu machines worked as well. I used Googles Public V6 DNS.

I was using GOGO/Freenet but I do prefer that the router does the work rather than my W7 machine.

I will try it with W8 later.

On test-ipv6.com I notice I get only 7/10 compared to GoGo 9/10 I'll look into that.

#2 ·
Good to see that and also that site has an IPv6 address. There are a few different ways to tunnel IPv6. I use 6in4. I have worked with Cisco routers that support 6to4 and, IIRC, there were some issues with it that 6in4 doesn't have. I have no idea about 6RD though. I wonder if Rogers provides subnets or just single addresses to subscribers. I have a /56 subnet (2^72 addresses) from gogonet

#6 ·
I only see it with IPV4. I think that my W7 machine with Firefox, Chrome and showip *prefers* V4, maybe because v4 is faster. This is maybe a desirable trait at this time.

On this subject I noticed that since this morning the test-ipv6.com pages seems to have changed. Does fewer tests now. Possibly because the router is doing the work not the PC...dunno.

#7 ·
telnet -6 ipv6.rogers.com 80
Trying 2607:f798:10:114:0:672:3121:171...
Connected to rogersipv6.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET / HTTP/1.1
Host: ipv6.rogers.com

hangs forever..

telnet -4 ipv6.rogers.com 80
Trying 67.231.210.171...
Connected to ipv6.rogers.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET / HTTP/1.1
Host: ipv6.rogers.com

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2012 21:00:52 GMT
Server: Apache/2.2.3 (Red Hat)
X-Powered-By: PHP/5.1.6
[tons of crap snipped]

maybe they are blocking ipv6.rogers.com for only rogers ips? Im not on rogers ipv6, but teksavvy.

(not that any of this is really important, just found it weird they actually have a AAAA record and have it open to www, but not working properly)

#8 ·
I still have no problem at all. I'm on Rogers but get my 6in4 IPv6 tunnel from gogonet. The site opens and ShowIP displays an IPv6 address. Also, I have used 6to4 at work and found it didn't work very well. I wound up installing the gogo6 client there too.

#9 ·
I played further with the Rogers 6 to 4 and went back to Gogo. Gogo has its problems with unreliability but when it is up it is fine. The 6to4 service when applied by my Dlink 655 to Windows 7 machines seems to give different results.

I would rather my router looked after V6 as with Gogo I need to have my master machine on all the time, I don't have a separate firewall/router PC.

Example is the ipv6.rogers.com Another is Yahoo.com. With 6to4 the site opens in V6 and shortly thereafter goes to V4. This may be a Firefox on W7 thing where the browser picks the fastest connection.

I do worry a bikt that if people don't use Rogers 6to4 that they will not bother to continue with V6 rollout...why bother if nobody is using it.

#10 ·
My firewall/router is an old computer running Linux. It's where I terminate the 6in4 tunnel. I could configure it for 6RD, but it works well as is with gogonet. Also, one thing I don't care about with 6to4 and 6RD is that your IPv6 address is dependent on your IPv4 address, so that when you get a different IPv4 DHCP address, your IPv6 addresses will follow. That will mess up my local DNS and remote access. With gogonet, my IPv6 subnet address is static. We'll have to see what happens when Rogers rolls out proper IPv6 support.

#13 ·
I moved to 6rd and now everything works. W7,W8,Ubuntu 11. and 12. and my galaxy nexus via wifi. That's all I have that has ipv6 stack capability, the printer and the NAS do not.
My Dlink DIR655 seems to do a good job on this. I don't run a web site so I have not bothered to have my own dns or my own domain name.

#14 ·
^^^^
If you want to use IPv6 on your local network, it helps to have the computers listed in your hosts file, just like with IPv4. You might also consider dnsmasq on one of the Linux systems. On Linux, I find it's necessary to have the IPv6 address listed first to force IPv6. Also, you'll want that hosts file to point to the MAC based address. However, in Windows Vista and 7, by default, that address is not used. To fix that you'll have to enable it from the command line in administrator mode, not just logged in as administrator.

The command to enable it is: netsh interface ipv6 set global randomize*identifiers=disabled

Once you've done that, your computer will have both MAC & random number based IPv6 addresses. The random number address will be used when accessing other systems, but when other systems access you via DNS or hosts, they will use the MAC based address.

#16 ·
Anyone using IPv6 from Rogers?

Rogers has been offering IPv6 via tunnelling for a while. Has anyone used it? Is it reliable? How big is the subnet? I haven't seen any sign of them offering native IPv6 yet. Does anyone have any info on that?

I currently obtain my IPv6 /56 subnet from another provider and my addresses (all 4.7 sextillion of them) are static. One concern I have for the Rogers tunnels is the IPv6 addresses are dependent on the IPv4 address and thus subject to change when the IPv4 address changes. Native IPv6 support should hopefully eliminate that issue.

#18 ·
6rd was intended to replace 6to4 and provides some improvement. So, if you have a choice, go with 6rd.

There are some consumer grade routers that support this, so perhaps more will use it.
Windows also supports Teredo, but I don't know anyone that uses it.

#19 ·
IPv6 now on Rogers?

I was just looking at my firewall connection, using Wireshark. One thing I've noticed is IPv6 router advertisements are now on the cable, along with IPv6 multicast listener reports and neighbour solicitations. The addresses are all link local (they start with FE80), but not that of my firewall. The MAC addresses indicate Cisco gear, so it's likely the Rogers hardware I see. So, it appears IPv6 traffic is on the network, without having to use a tunnel. Does anyone know if Rogers is getting ready to implement native IPv6 in the near future?

I doubt there'd be any point in asking the Rogers help people about this. They have enough of a problem understanding IPv4.

tnx jk

#20 ·
Native IPv6 enabled on Rogers network

It appears, according to a couple of posts on the forums over at DSLReports, that Rogers has enable native IPv6 on at least parts of its network.

At least two people on Rogers Internet have enabled IPv6 on their own routers (one using an Apple Time Capsule the other using a D-Link DIR-850L) after putting the Rogers Router/Modem into bridged mode, and have been assigned IPv6 addresses.

One confirmed user is in the High Park/Toronto area, the other who first posted about getting IPv6 access a week ago, hasn't been back to comment in the forums so we don't know his location.

If you have a router capable of IPv6 and run your Rogers modem in bridged mode please post if you have any luck getting an IPv6 address on the Rogers network.

I'm in Downsview/Toronto and it is not working for me yet.

#21 ·
^^^^
Every Saturday morning I meet some friends at a deli on Steeles, near Yonge. Last week I noticed my tablet had an IPv6 address and this week I confirmed they were on Rogers. The deli is on the Thornhill side of Steeles. I still don't see Rogers IPv6 at my home in Mississauga.

#22 ·
For the past couple of days Gmail has been complaining about my logins - says there is something unusual about the way I am logging in.

I ran a query through whatismyip.com and the address returned was an IPv6 address - not my usual Rogers IPv4 one. They must be quietly rolling it out.

I'm in North York - top end of Toronto.

#23 ·
I saw a message on the Rogers forum about IPV6 this morning from a forum poster, not a Rogers guy, and immediately tried it. ( I have been using Rogers 6RD) I am in Guelph.

I am using a Dlink DIR655 behinds a CGN3 modem in bridge mode. Told the router to check for a V6 connection and Lo and Behold it said it found one. Fingers crossed, rebooted and there it is, a real /64, prefix 2607:fea8 some DNS addresses 2607:f798:18:10:0:640:7125: 5204 and 5198.

It all seems to work just fine.

Needless to say I kept a copy of the 6RD stuff...just in case this is a test set up and will go away.

I don't need a /56 but I presume that if Rogers decides to offer /56 that either it will just happen or at some point tech support will be able to issue a new prefix. I believe Telus is offering /56 from the start so I suppose I ought to be surprised that Rogers did not do the same.

#24 ·
^^^^
To take advantage of a /56 or any other prefix other than /64 requires a router capable of splitting off the various /64s. A home user might use a 2nd /64 for a guest LAN for example. A business, where VLANs are commonly used, could make use of multiple /64s.

BTW, I'm still waiting for IPv6 in Mississauga.

#25 ·
If I needed or wanted subnets I'd either buy a new router or use a spare machine to build one on Linux.

I am sure that when the rollout is done and Rogers announces V6 that there will some means to get a /56.

I suspect that they will be doing a reflash or just an online re-configure of their various gateways for V6 as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.