Rogers & IPV6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 136 (permalink) Old 2012-06-06, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Rogers & IPV6

I had started a thread a couple of weeks ago on the Rogers Community Forum about IPV6 and today I got a reply pointing to http://ipv6.rogers.com/
and there was a whole lot of info about V6 at Rogers and a section on tunneling.
As I have a compatible router I immediately tried it and it works quite well. Does all the good stuff including router advertisement so my Ubuntu machines worked as well. I used Googles Public V6 DNS.

I was using GOGO/Freenet but I do prefer that the router does the work rather than my W7 machine.

I will try it with W8 later.

On test-ipv6.com I notice I get only 7/10 compared to GoGo 9/10 I'll look into that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 136 (permalink) Old 2012-06-06, 01:14 PM
Veteran

Good to see that and also that site has an IPv6 address. There are a few different ways to tunnel IPv6. I use 6in4. I have worked with Cisco routers that support 6to4 and, IIRC, there were some issues with it that 6in4 doesn't have. I have no idea about 6RD though. I wonder if Rogers provides subnets or just single addresses to subscribers. I have a /56 subnet (2^72 addresses) from gogonet
post #3 of 136 (permalink) Old 2012-06-06, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Rogers is providing a /64 on 6 to 4. My Dlink 655 doesn't claim to do 6RD

post #4 of 136 (permalink) Old 2012-06-06, 03:31 PM

interesting to see that ipv6.rogers.com has a AAAA record, but the webserver must be misconfigured or something, as its not sending data back (port 80 is open, just not doing anything). lol

if you connect to it via ipv4, it works fine.
post #5 of 136 (permalink) Old 2012-06-06, 04:03 PM
Veteran

^^^^
I have no problem seeing that site with IPv6.
post #6 of 136 (permalink) Old 2012-06-06, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

I only see it with IPV4. I think that my W7 machine with Firefox, Chrome and showip *prefers* V4, maybe because v4 is faster. This is maybe a desirable trait at this time.

On this subject I noticed that since this morning the test-ipv6.com pages seems to have changed. Does fewer tests now. Possibly because the router is doing the work not the PC...dunno.
post #7 of 136 (permalink) Old 2012-06-06, 05:02 PM

telnet -6 ipv6.rogers.com 80
Trying 2607:f798:10:114:0:672:3121:171...
Connected to rogersipv6.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET / HTTP/1.1
Host: ipv6.rogers.com

hangs forever..

telnet -4 ipv6.rogers.com 80
Trying 67.231.210.171...
Connected to ipv6.rogers.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET / HTTP/1.1
Host: ipv6.rogers.com

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2012 21:00:52 GMT
Server: Apache/2.2.3 (Red Hat)
X-Powered-By: PHP/5.1.6
[tons of crap snipped]

maybe they are blocking ipv6.rogers.com for only rogers ips? Im not on rogers ipv6, but teksavvy.

(not that any of this is really important, just found it weird they actually have a AAAA record and have it open to www, but not working properly)
post #8 of 136 (permalink) Old 2012-06-06, 10:04 PM
Veteran

I still have no problem at all. I'm on Rogers but get my 6in4 IPv6 tunnel from gogonet. The site opens and ShowIP displays an IPv6 address. Also, I have used 6to4 at work and found it didn't work very well. I wound up installing the gogo6 client there too.
post #9 of 136 (permalink) Old 2012-06-07, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

I played further with the Rogers 6 to 4 and went back to Gogo. Gogo has its problems with unreliability but when it is up it is fine. The 6to4 service when applied by my Dlink 655 to Windows 7 machines seems to give different results.

I would rather my router looked after V6 as with Gogo I need to have my master machine on all the time, I don't have a separate firewall/router PC.

Example is the ipv6.rogers.com Another is Yahoo.com. With 6to4 the site opens in V6 and shortly thereafter goes to V4. This may be a Firefox on W7 thing where the browser picks the fastest connection.

I do worry a bikt that if people don't use Rogers 6to4 that they will not bother to continue with V6 rollout...why bother if nobody is using it.
post #10 of 136 (permalink) Old 2012-06-07, 07:29 AM
Veteran

My firewall/router is an old computer running Linux. It's where I terminate the 6in4 tunnel. I could configure it for 6RD, but it works well as is with gogonet. Also, one thing I don't care about with 6to4 and 6RD is that your IPv6 address is dependent on your IPv4 address, so that when you get a different IPv4 DHCP address, your IPv6 addresses will follow. That will mess up my local DNS and remote access. With gogonet, my IPv6 subnet address is static. We'll have to see what happens when Rogers rolls out proper IPv6 support.
post #11 of 136 (permalink) Old 2012-06-07, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

I just discovered that I was waaaaayyyyy behind on my router firmware version. I upgrade and Lo and Behold I now have 6rd. Haven't tried it yet.
post #12 of 136 (permalink) Old 2012-06-07, 12:33 PM
Veteran

^^^^
Try http://ipv6.google.com or http://test-ipv6.iad.vr.org/ to test your IPv6 tunnel.
post #13 of 136 (permalink) Old 2012-06-12, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

I moved to 6rd and now everything works. W7,W8,Ubuntu 11. and 12. and my galaxy nexus via wifi. That's all I have that has ipv6 stack capability, the printer and the NAS do not.
My Dlink DIR655 seems to do a good job on this. I don't run a web site so I have not bothered to have my own dns or my own domain name.
post #14 of 136 (permalink) Old 2012-06-12, 11:11 AM
Veteran

^^^^
If you want to use IPv6 on your local network, it helps to have the computers listed in your hosts file, just like with IPv4. You might also consider dnsmasq on one of the Linux systems. On Linux, I find it's necessary to have the IPv6 address listed first to force IPv6. Also, you'll want that hosts file to point to the MAC based address. However, in Windows Vista and 7, by default, that address is not used. To fix that you'll have to enable it from the command line in administrator mode, not just logged in as administrator.

The command to enable it is: netsh interface ipv6 set global randomize*identifiers=disabled

Once you've done that, your computer will have both MAC & random number based IPv6 addresses. The random number address will be used when accessing other systems, but when other systems access you via DNS or hosts, they will use the MAC based address.
post #15 of 136 (permalink) Old 2013-02-21, 03:28 PM
Veteran

Rogers router/modems and IPv6 tunneling

One thing I've been wondering about is whether the router/modems that Rogers supply, such as Cisco, Hiltron or SMC support IPv6 tunneling, as described here. Anyone tried this?

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.