Bell introduces Sympatico High Speed Unplugged - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 71 (permalink) Old 2006-12-06, 08:46 AM

I have been testing it for the past few months. Not impressed. Besides being a fairly large unit that needs to have its own power source, I have found the signal strength in my area to be weak and undependable. Definitely not a replacement for your regular service, may be a good (but expensive) back up service.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 71 (permalink) Old 2006-12-07, 01:16 AM

Wireless internet was originally intended to be a rural service to replace dial up, not as a replacement for wired DSL. Best to treat it that way, better than dial up and not as good as DSL. It's about time that Bell fulfilled their commitment to provide rural high speed internet with Sympatico Unplugged and stop screwing urban customers that have a better alternative at a lower price.
post #18 of 71 (permalink) Old 2007-03-06, 09:26 PM

Agreed

I agree with IWM HDTV, this service is not intended to compete with urban terrestrial services, which for obvious reasons will always be more reliable, and will likely remain faster and cheaper for the foreseeable future.

I must admit my frustration with Inukshuk as their mandate with Industry Canada was to deliver "last mile" service to underserviced parts of Canada and their initial rollout was to the broadband-deprived e-deserts of Toronto, Calgary, Ottawa, etc. I guarantee if you provided WIMAX to professionals/residents in Muskoka, they would rave about the service and the price. Heck, charge 50% more and I'd be in line for one.

Therein lies the frustration; they are rolling out a technology that can blanket large unserviced areas of moderate population density (numerous southern ontario regions spring to mind) and market to consumers that would jump at the service, but instead they blanket urban areas already covered by a multitude of broadband networks and market it as a gimmicky gadgety Business Commuter service.

Unless you are lucky enough to live in a "politically popular underserviced area" like Iqaluit, Whitehorse or Charlottetown, I'm not placing bets on seeing this service any time soon. I'm currently forking over a hefty $108 monthly for a very latent and highly bandwidth restricted Xplornet satellite service, I live in a city of +30,000 and most have no broadband option. I would walk across a bed of broken glass and dirty crack needles to get a 3 meg connection without latency.

Finally, why all the secrecy about the rollout plans for this and other broadband services. It sure would be nice if Rogers/Bell would say region X is scheduled for spring 2008, give us cavemen in the woods something to look forward to.

I purchased the Bell 3MB service and tested it briefly today in Barrie and it worked great (tested at +2.6mbps d/l midday), though not quite as fast as the 10 meg fiber connection already in the building. Unfortunately, I was hoping it would work at some of our remote locations without service in the outskirts of Barrie and so far no luck. As for my house on Lake Simcoe near Orillia, no workie. Explorenet is destined to be my very expensive and very latent housemate.

post #19 of 71 (permalink) Old 2007-03-24, 10:34 AM

It's not so bad

I do agree that this product should be deployed in underserviced regions of Canada. Why would these Telcos roll out a product in regions where they already have High speed customers? Why put it on metropolitan and surrounding areas that already have a multitude of highspeed options?

Part of the answer lies with Industry Canada and the CRTC. In order for Rogers and Bell to keep the 2.5Ghz frequency (practically given to them with the expectaions that they would use it for a national WiMax network) was to blanket 2/3 of the Canadian population by 2007. And where do the majority of Canadians live? Metropolitan and surrounding areas..... So they basically had little choice if they wanted to keep the frequency.

The other part lies with the Telcos themselves. We have to remember that this is a last mile service. To reach the underserved communites the Backhual still needs to be installed from scratch or significanlty upgraded. Even though Rogers and Bell probablly have Cell towers in these areas, the amount of bandwidth needed for voice is next to nothing compared to the amount needed for data. These upgrades will take time.

Now for the service itself. In all the areas I have tested Portable Internet it has worked very well. I have consistently acheived speeds of 1.5Mbps, which is what the Rogers page advertises. There is some latancy when accessing a page, but with all the extra overhead used to transmit the data over the air this is expected. The signal can be a little flaky at times. It needs to be in just the right spot. With the signal being at 2.5Ghz it is succeptable to interference and it is not that great at penetrating through buildings or trees, etc. A lower frequency would have been a better choice, but you work with what you are given.

All in all it is not so bad, it just needs to be deployed in the regions that actually need it.
post #20 of 71 (permalink) Old 2007-04-02, 12:02 PM

Angry Echoing Mountie

I would walk across a bed of broken glass and dirty crack needles to get a 3 meg connection without latency.

QFT

The service launched in my area today, and I purchased it this morning. 3-5* (!!!!) business days for delivery... differs from the 2-3*(!!!!!!!!!!) days, as stated in the legally binding agreement literature. I read it and I know I'm screwed from the get-go.

I live north of Peterborough in a black hole of 24kbps dial-up connectivity. Bell DSL is available 1km away from the center of my house in every direction and to an even more sparse extent, the same can be said for Cogeco's offerings. A review wasn't required to determine whether this service is worth the price of admission; it's immediately worth it for me and though I don't appreciate the financial reaming I must incur to receive said service, I must admit that I would pay more than what Bell has decided to charge for this apparent privelege.

Like Mountie, it really bothers me that this service has been available for so long in metropolitan centers yet has remained unavailable for the customers who are most debilitated by the lack of this essential service (broadband internet access). I understand companies must ( ) focus on where they can potentially make the greatest profit but I can see the damn tower they decided to use from my back porch. The service was announced back in January for April... so they came through there, in a crappy sort of way. What's the hold-up? I know 50 people who will immediately purchase at least the minor package. Also of note, Bell installation crews only started wandering into the tower parking lot within the past week So... what? Am I beta testing NEW EQUIPMENT for 60$/week?

I'm confident that I'll enjoy the massive upgrade from dial-up in terms of sheer download speed. With the thin population, my latency is what I'm most interested in, what, with my stack of games and all (noting that gaming is advertised as one of the benefits of Bell Unplugged). It'll be interesting to see how smooth the install and testing goes.

More information to come, that's for sure. Glad I found this site.
post #21 of 71 (permalink) Old 2007-04-02, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Inukshuk Wireless coverage Area expanded includes list of new areas serviced. Of course it applies to both Bell and Rogers.
post #22 of 71 (permalink) Old 2007-04-02, 01:40 PM

This is finally available in my city.
I've researched both providers and feel that Rogers offers more of what I'm looking for.
Although not as fast as the best Bell package, Rogers doesn't suck you into a two year term and provides a larger download limit (30 GB for Rogers vs. 10 GB for Bell)
Are there any DHC users of the Rogers Portable internet service that could share their experiences?

Thanks in advance.
post #23 of 71 (permalink) Old 2007-04-04, 01:03 PM

Thumbs up better than expected

1. I've managed to find an excellent signal; after a little searching, that is...which was suprising to me, given I can see the tower from my porch. ? The modem itself seems very sensitive to the slightest movement.

2. Every video I've streamed so far has been fantastically fast; no hitching at all. This holds true for file downloads as well.

3. Counterstrike: Source

I haven't sat down to do any 'benchmarking', but with transfers of up to (what I've seen so far) 150kb/s and 'pings' as low as 30, colour me satisfied.

This is exactly what rural Canada has been waiting for.

It's been rainy and miserable since I've set up my wireless modem. Any chance that the signal is impeded by the rain and that my connection will only get better?
post #24 of 71 (permalink) Old 2007-04-05, 01:46 PM

New Bell WiMax service

Check out the site for more info.......still does not service all areas!!!

wimaxinhome.bell.ca
post #25 of 71 (permalink) Old 2007-04-05, 05:55 PM

Actually a Rogers and Bell joint effort.

http://www.inukshuk.ca/anglais/distributeurs.html

Paul C Baden, Ont (Rogers - Grand River)
Multimedia: Pioneer PDP-4270 - CISCO 8642 PVR - Rogers Express Internet
post #26 of 71 (permalink) Old 2007-04-06, 08:37 PM

Still mainly servicing URBAN areas that already have access to DSL type connections.
post #27 of 71 (permalink) Old 2007-04-07, 02:24 AM

I guess they are just adding a new outdoors modem.

It still the inuksuk network i would assume which has been live for a year+: http://www.wirelessweek.com/article/CA6321057.html
post #28 of 71 (permalink) Old 2007-04-08, 11:18 AM

I don't understand what this new service is. I thought the Inukshuk service uses WiMAX technology yet this Bell WiMAX in Home seems to be separate from the Inukshuk service. The rated download is 2Mbps which puts it in between the upper and lower tiers of the Inukshuk service offered by Rogers and Bell. The only reason I can think of why this exists is that it uses a different part of the radio spectrum. This might give it different range and speed characteristics and also allow Bell to offer it exclusively (ie. separate from their joint venture in Inukshuk ).

When I check the Bell web site Internet availability in my area (Caledon, Ont) it says Internet Unplugged (Inukshuk) is unavailable but WiMAX in Home is available. Curiously, Rogers says the Portable Internet (Inukshuk) is available where I am. I helped a neighbour order it from Rogers so will see if it does work where I am.
post #29 of 71 (permalink) Old 2007-04-09, 05:15 PM

I got details from Bell today. It the same system as Unplugged but with an outdoor modem that needs to be installed. $50/month for the service, plus $15/month for the modem which you pay $15/month for 36 months after which you own the modem. $200 to install modem. Must be the same as the outdoor modem Rogers has on their web site http://www.rogers.com/muskoka/ and the prices are cheaper. You buy the Rogers Outdoor modem for $250.00.
post #30 of 71 (permalink) Old 2007-06-28, 01:22 PM

Bell and Rogers will not deploy rural areas, only urban because they just have to show CRTC that they're using their spectrum allocations so it's not reauctioned. They couldn't care less about rural Canada, they firmly believe they cannot get a dime out of it. I'm rural just outside Guelph and I have no coverage.
In summary, go with a local wireless ISP i.e. HighSpeedFX or Humminbird Wireless.
Please write to the CRTC and your MP and let them know what's going on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.