Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

WAN Load Balance Router and HH 3000

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Dr.Dave 
#1 ·
Hi,

I am in the process of ordering a WAN load Balance Router (TP-Link TL-ER5120Z) and adding a Cable modem to my existing Bell Internet. Reason for this is that I only can get 50Mb with Bell and I need more speed and failover. I have 6 heavy users and a tone of IOT devices. And probable the next reason besides more bandwidth/failover, I just love Bell Fibe TV.

Please see config below:
- Bell Services (All), internet, phone and Fibe TV, HH 3000
- Adding Rogers internet because all i can get is 50Mb with dual bonding through Bell
- 4 Bell PODs connected to the HH 3000
- Existing Netgear 24port Managed switch.

Question:
Is this doable in directing my 2 provider connections to the load balancer router and out to all endpoints?
Will my Bell Fibe TV still operate outside the HH 3000?
I assume the DHCP server and Bell Credentials will be on the Load Balancer and I would have to turn off the one on the HH 3000?

Thanks in advance
Matt

See less See more
#2 ·
You might want to learn how load balancing work. On gear from Cisco etc., load balancing is achieved by sending multiple connections via different links. That is one TCP connection will go entirely via one connection and the next will go entirely via the other. This means you won't see much improvement for a single user. You will however, get failover. If you get a Rogers connection, you might consider using them as the primary connection as they tend to have much better than ADSL rates. For example, I have a 60 Mb down/10 up package. They have other packages up to 1 Gb, IIRC. Rogers also provides IPv6, which I don't believe Bell does yet.

#3 ·
Thanks for your replay. I understand LB and Networking very well, but the question still remains for me, how would the Bell HomeHUB and TV service react by moving my DHCP server to the router. Yes, I was going to make the 1Gig rogers connection my default and the Bell one my backup. Does Bell require the HB to manage the TV service and all its receivers?
Thanks again....

#4 ·
The Bell Fibe TV service only works over Bell's network. The STBs won't work if they are connected to Rogers internet.

Bell also expects the STBs to be directly connected to the Home Hub 3000 as well as any TV related apps, etc. to maintain full functionality. You may run into problems if an app isn't on the same subnet as the STBs and Fibe streaming will only recognize in-home access for devices on the same Bell subnet. You also have to handle the VLANs correctly if you insert any devices between the HH 3000 and the Fibe TV related apps and STBs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.