POTS and Bell Fibe FTTH - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 2017-10-20, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

POTS and Bell Fibe FTTH

Hi. Our 30 year old condo building was wired for Bell FTTH last year but I never considered switching from DSL (Fibe 25/10) because the fibre had to be run to a phone jack in the bedroom and my PVR, Apple TV, etc. are all in the living room on the other side of the apartment.

Long story short, I decided to take the plunge this week and go for FTTH (double the speed for pretty much the same price). I ordered the upgrade online but what I didn't realize is that this apparently forces you onto VoIP through the HH3000 for phone service. At least that's what the installer told me. Along with, "Oh, didn't they tell you that when you ordered...?"

That was yesterday morning and the phone service has dropped at least three times since then. The last time it happened, Bell support reset the connection, had me reset the modem, and swore it wouldn't happen again. We'll see ...

Anyway, I was wondering why I couldn't keep the POTS and just have fibre for TV and internet. I assume they got rid of the DSL signal on the phone line anyway, so why not leave intact with just voice on it? I realize that probably isn't true POTS either, but it was sure more reliable than what I have now.

Thanks.

flaminghomer
Samsung Smart TV | Bell Fibe | Apple TV | Pioneer 919AH | Panasonic BD75 | Bose AM6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 2017-10-20, 06:49 PM

I suspect once a customer is removed from the copper pair that supports POTS, that BELL wouldn't entertain going back to it. I'm sure BELL doesn't want to maintain two separate systems (copper and Fiber), and so will do their best to remove everyone from copper.

elyk
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 2017-10-20, 11:47 PM
Veteran

There is no reason why the couldn't maintain the POTS connection but I have the feeling they won't.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 2017-10-21, 09:05 AM
Veteran

^^^^
I expect they plan to abandon the copper cables. It costs money to maintain it.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 2017-10-21, 03:42 PM
Veteran

I'm guessing it will take about 20 years for Bell to get everyone of of POTS without some serious incentives, especially with older people.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 2017-10-21, 10:02 PM
Veteran

There are still lots of people who have only POTS available, no FTTN and many without DSL as an option. One incentive is to wire neighborhoods so it's even an option. As far as home phone is concerned, Bell will have to give it away in 20 years. Everyone will be on cellphone or with more reasonably priced VoIP providers. There are lots of free VoIP options as well.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 2017-10-21, 10:04 PM
Veteran

Quote:
especially with older people.
Ageism again.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 2017-10-22, 02:29 AM
Veteran

Facts again. https://smallbusiness.com/uncategori...ine-cellphone/

Percentage of Americans with no Landline Phones (by Age)

71% | Millennial (born from 1977 to 1994) household
55% | Generation X (born 1965 to 1976) household
40% | Baby Boomers (born 1946 to 1964)
23% | 65+ years old

Canadian stats probably aren't too different.

--
Neil
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 2017-10-22, 03:49 AM
Veteran

That can also be explained by a combination of lifestyle, income, employment, residence, health... Demographics by age is ageist in nature. It ignores other factors. Assuming a causal relationship where none has been proven is prejudicial in nature.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 2017-10-22, 08:53 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Percentage of Americans with no Landline Phones (by Age)
That's about wired phone vs cell phone, not fibre vs copper. Copper pairs can no longer keep up with the bandwidth demands. Even now, in many areas where a customer has a copper pair coming in, it converts to fibre somewhere nearby.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 2017-10-22, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewdc View Post
I'm guessing it will take about 20 years for Bell to get everyone off of POTS without some serious incentives.
The incentive was jacking the price from $18 to $40.

The switch to Ooma has saved me $400 in one year.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 2017-10-22, 11:15 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
That can also be explained by a combination of lifestyle, income, employment, residence, health... Demographics by age is ageist in nature. It ignores other factors. Assuming a causal relationship where none has been proven is prejudicial in nature.
Okay, a combination of senior citizens' "lifestyle, income, employment, residence, health..." will make it harder to get them off POTS. How's that?

--
Neil
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 2017-10-22, 11:17 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Let's get back to the topic of this thread, please. Thanks.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 2017-10-22, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsspredator View Post
The switch to Ooma has saved me $400 in one year.
I'm thinking since I was forced onto VoIP anyway, I might as well save some money by getting rid of my $66.00/mo. phone bill. I'm sure there's lots of discussion about that elsewhere in the forums.

flaminghomer
Samsung Smart TV | Bell Fibe | Apple TV | Pioneer 919AH | Panasonic BD75 | Bose AM6
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 2017-10-22, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaminghomer View Post
Bell support reset the connection, had me reset the modem, and swore it wouldn't happen again. We'll see ...
Well, FWIW, the phone service has been stable ever since, so I guess the support guy knew what he was doing

flaminghomer

Tags
fibe , fibre , pots

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.