Bell Canada Fibe 100 (gfast) - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 2017-06-21, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by MCIBUS View Post
I'm in Ottawa(older section so its pole feed and wire is copper not fibe) and just got 100/10 a few days ago, but had had 50/10 for sometime now.So I'm not sure why you can't get it unless they haven't upgrade your area for 100?
How much more does 100/10 cost?
Sponsored Links
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 2017-06-21, 05:19 PM

Regular price is $94/month(in Ottawa) not sure of price outside of Ottawa.

But got it for $84/month for 3 months, but also have $10 credit/month for 1 year so I'll pay $74/month for 3 months, then pay $84/month for 9 months after that depending om if I can get a deal again or not, if not hopefully still pay $94/month unless it goes up.

It's fun being weird It's fun being weird It's fun being weird You should try it sometime. The Detour
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 2017-06-21, 06:10 PM
I have Fibe TV, internet, and home phone with 100/10. Had it for a month now.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 2017-06-28, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Talked to Bell again and used the on-line tools to check addresses, it seems that all even number homes can get 100/10 with fibe TV and odd numbers (Mine) can't. I understand it depends on a few things but seeing my neighbour across the street be able to get 100/10 with his TV is frustrating. (lololo). I guess I need to play the waiting game for now. On a good note, I was able to talk down Bell a few $$ on my 50/10 package.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 2017-06-29, 07:56 AM
I"m wondering what people are doing that the 100/10 is required. Does it increase the number of TV channels that can be recorded or some other benefit?

I have 15/10 and I remember a few months ago Bell sent an email asking how I was enjoying the free trial period of 25/10 they were supplying me. I checked the speed and indeed the speed was 25. The funny thing was that I never noticed for all that time. Now it's back to 15 and I just don't see the difference.

post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 2017-07-07, 06:39 PM
That depends. These days services like Netflix and Amazon Prime provide 4K streaming so streaming one of those services would take about half of your available speed. If you had more people in the house then 15/10 might not be enough.
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 2017-07-09, 08:00 PM
I'm in London and I just had 100/10 installed yesterday with a Hub 3000. It didn't sound on the phone like I needed the 3000, and could have stayed with the 2000, but I was hoping with the increase in antennas that it might take care of a dead spot in our family room where the wifi signal was spotty at best. Now it seems the whole house is spotty. Almost all devices are constantly dropping off.

Was on Fibe 25 before, and anytime I did a speedtest, it was between 20-25, even got a 37 later in the evening on my ipad when the other devices and TV were off. Now I'm not getting anywhere near 20, and the download is often slower than the upload on the various sites I check on the speedtest app. Not impressed with it so far.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 2017-07-12, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Can verify my HH 3000 has been working for almost 4 months now without issues. The HB is located in my basement and having great results without any spotty areas. Runs 3 Fibe TV receivers on the second floor and roughly 15 devices in total. Have you called support to go through setup etc...? My problem is Im waiting for 100/10 service. They tell me soon, but my neighbours have already got it. They run to the same street cabinet.
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 2017-07-15, 11:43 PM
The installer had mentioned that certain parts of the house, like duct work and my garage foundation might interfere with the signal coming over to this corner of the house. The strange thing is my second TV (the one connected wirelessly to the hub downstairs) is about 7 feet away from where I sit with my laptop, and my laptop is between the TV and the hub. TV doesn't have any connection issues but the laptop is always dropping it. He had suggested I could consider popping a small hole in the wall downstairs and running a cat5 cable to the back room and hook up a router there to help the coverage across the back half of the house, but I have no idea what specs on a router I would need or if there is one type that's a better match for the home hub.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 2017-07-16, 01:03 PM
I have a similar issue. The incoming router is between the foundation and a couple of main ducts. Never mind that it has crappy wifi. I turned off the wifi in that and put a wired router configured as an access point in a central location on the main floor. That covers the entire house with a strong signal.

The number of antennas will not necessarily improve range. It can to a certain extent when compared to non-AC routers. It also depends on how well and how much of the AC standard is implemented. Tri-band routers use both 5GHz bands to provide more throughput and provide better support for more devices simultaneously. Maximum rated wifi throughput is typically to an identical router and can be limited by regional regulations. Devices will still be limited by their own wifi but a higher speed AC router speed means more devices can be supported at their maximum speed. Devices with AC wifi will benefit the most.

But never mind all that. To match the HH3000 a wired AC5300 router or better configured as an access point will be required. Ultimately, individual requirements will determine whether a $500 tri-band AC router, a high performance $250 dual band AC router or a more modest $150 AC router is best. To that end I'd recommend the ASUS RT-AC5300, the ASUS RT-AC1900 or the ASUS RT-AC66U. I recommend ASUS because they provide excellent firmware support, have a good set of features and are simple to configure as an access point or repeater. They are all rated at or near the top of their class on SmallNetBuilder. The two I have are rock solid. They typically have third party firmware options if extra features are required.
matdaj likes this.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 2017-07-18, 09:51 PM
I added one of these things on the weekend, and it seems to have improved connectivity, if not really the speed so much.

D-Link Wireless AC1750 Dual-Band Range Extender (DAP-1720) : Range Extenders & Powerline Networking - Best Buy Canada

I plugged it in on the main level almost directly above where the HH3000 is. My wife and my daughter both said they noticed the connection was a lot more stable. I was a little nervous after asking the guy at Best Buy if he thought it would work. He said no, that the Bell modem has a very low speed and I should just dump it and add a new high speed modem. When I said again that I had the latest Bell Fibe home gateway, not the old dsl modems that we used to get with Sympatico, he was like "Oh, oh ok, yeah this will work fine, just plug it in and press the buttons on both units to connect them". Filled me with lots of confidence lol.

Another question if anyone knows. I happened to notice on my wifi available connections that it had my Bell SSID listed 3 times, the regular "BELL123", and one with -EXT and one with EXT5G. Any difference in those, any benefit to connecting different devices to any of them?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.