Adding Router to Home Hub 3000 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2017-05-29, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Adding Router to Home Hub 3000

Lurker for a while, first time poster.

I'm a Bell Aliant Fibreop customer, and they upgraded me today to the Home Hub 3000. I have all three services.

I'm happy with the wired internet (300/100), and Wifi is great within a certain distance of the Bell router, but it fades considerably (along with the speed) the farther away I get from the hub. I also have the wireless TV receivers, although I asked the installer to hook up the existing pre-wired Ethernet drops close to the TVs just in case the TV Wifi ends up not working well - I can then just plug the receivers into the nearby ports.

The installer put the 3000 in the electrical cabinet in the basement - this is where the fiber drop terminates. Problem is, the living room is on the other end of the house, upstairs. As I mentioned, the Wifi signal fades considerably at that distance. It is quite inconsistent but I get speed test results on my iPad anywhere from ~10 Mbps on the 2.4 channel, to ~25-40 Mbps on the 5 ghz channel (usually on the lower end). In the basement this improves to over 100 Mbps when I'm close to the hub.

I have an Asus RT-N53 that I'm considering using in place of the 3000 Wifi. I've been reading and searching through these and other forums for advice and tips, but unfortunately a lot of it extends beyond my technical understanding. I have had success in the past with setting a company router to bridge mode and using the Asus router, but I found it interfered with things like my wireless printer.

I'd appreciate any straightforward tips or instructions on how to use this Asus router to replace or extend the 3000 Wifi. I do have an Ethernet drop in my computer room (my desktop is wired directly to this), and it is where the old Aliant router used to be, in the middle of the house.

(I should mention: I called tech support at Aliant and they said the speed tests fell within their specs, so they didn't consider it to be a problem.)
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2017-05-31, 11:25 PM
I'm about to get the full Fibe package with 1gb down, also interested in the option of bridging the modem. I'm hoping they will put the modem where my current Rogers modem is, close to my main devices including game consoles which are currently wired, and where the wifi coverage would be best. But I currently bridge the Rogers modem and use my Asus dark knight plus a ethernet connected apple time machine so i have my backups for MacBooks. May be interesting.

Anyway - tips on bridging this modem? I just called Rogers tech support last time to get it done.

Jethro - LG OLED65C7P, NB 3.0, Yam HTR6190, Polk, Harmony 680, Xbox One X
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2017-06-01, 11:28 AM
Google "adding a second router to home network" There are pages and pages of info available with step by step instructions. If you're lucky you'll find one with specifics of your 2nd router.

Its not really that hard (even I figured it out) and easier to read up than one of us retyping the steps here.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2017-06-01, 01:09 PM
There doesn't appear to be anyway to put that 3000 into bridge mode, which you want to do with a separate router.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2017-06-01, 10:17 PM
Sounds like my best hope is that I can get the home hub installed to the same location I have the rogers modem today, and then pull the asus out of the mix. The apple time machine is just bridged itself to act as an access point and to be accessible for backups, connected through power line ethernet.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2017-06-01, 10:26 PM
To the original poster, power line ethernet wouldn't help your speed (I think maybe 50mbps is the top end for that?) but if you can run an actual ethernet cable to somewhere in the other end of your house, bridge that ASUS and use the same SSID etc to make it an extension. My only problem with my setup where I have the bridged apple router in the other end of the house is that my MacBooks seem to really love connecting to it even when the Asus signal is much stronger - the iPads etc have weaker antennas and usually switch to the closest router due to not being able to access the other one. I use a wifi scanner that lets me switch the router I connect to in order to get the best wifi performance on the Macbook.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.