email send problem - Bell Sympatico - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2017-02-17, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

email send problem - Bell Sympatico

This may not be a Bell problem but they are my ISP.

I am having problems sending emails. This problem has been noticed over the past few weeks but could have been going on longer. When I send an email it goes into the sent box so it looks like a successful send but it has not gone to the receiver. I have started putting my own address as a bcc so that I have a better idea if the message has been successfully sent. If I restart the email client it makes no difference but if I reboot my laptop the new emails will get sent but eventually (within minutes/hours) will not be sent.

Current set up:
Win 10, Norton Security, Bell Canada ISP (Sympatico not Fibe), Mozilla Thunderbird (POP3 & SMTP)

I have tried Windows Live Mail, Opera and eM Client and they all do exactly the same. Win 10 Mail seems to work okay but I wouldnĺt want to use it as my everyday email client. I have disabled Norton and it makes no difference. I have used 2 different locations with different routers with no difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2017-02-17, 01:35 PM

Have you tried using Bell's recommended webmail application?

The address is: https://webmail.bell.net

This offers a settings ability for you to play with also.

Maybe give it a try.

You said Win 10 MAIL works OK. Do you mean the fault isn't there when you use it?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2017-02-17, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

I have used the bell webmail and it sends all emails with no problem but it doesn't have the features for me to use on a daily basis. Win 10 Mail sends all emails without a problem and does not stop when Thunderbird stops. Emails I attempted unsuccessfully to send thru Thunderbird etc. don't show up in either Bell webmail or Win 10 mail but emails sent from them do show up in Thunderbird whether or not it is having send problems.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2017-02-17, 04:37 PM

Interesting.

I have used Bell Webmail and Win-10 Mail programs without problems, and I agree that they aren't anything that I want to use as my daily mail program. Mostly because they're IMAP and I like Client POP3 to store my mail on my own PC disk. That's why I use Thunderbird. I have no problem with Thunderbird as you describe, but admit it is a monster of complicated settings that can ruin or enhance your email experience.

I suspect the problem lies within Thunderbird's settings.

elyk
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2017-02-18, 11:30 AM

Gates:
See the thread Thunderbird email setup.
Settings are detailed there

Former Rogers VIP, now Bell Fibe, Sony KDL40W3000, BDPS350, Philips Streamium NP2500 (2). DS209 NAS, Playbook
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2017-02-18, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your responses but I think I have found the cause of my problem. I forgot to mention in my original post that I am also using NordVPN and it seems when it is active I have the problem sending emails but have no problem when it is inactive. I have run multiple tests with the same results each time. I have contacted NordVPN and they have made several suggestions; some of which I am already set up for and the others were tried but did not make a difference.

At this point I at least know that if I deactivate NordVPN I will have no problems with sending email.

All my setups in Thunderbird were as they should be and remember I have run the same tests with Windows Live Mail and eM Client and they both exhibited the same problem. As a result of my testing I found that I liked eM Client and have switched over to it as my daily email client. Also as a result of my testing I find sending an auto bcc to myself a useful indicator in verifying email sends and will continue using it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.