Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Thunderbird email setup

5K views 34 replies 8 participants last post by  Norman_C 
#1 ·
Can anyone provide the current email setting for Thunderbird. I am attempting to move away from Eudora which hasn't been supported for years but works fairly well.
I have installed thunderbird but can not get it download any emails. I don't know how to see any errors that it might be getting.
If anyone can suggest something different than Thunderbird I am willing to try it.

Features of Eudora I would like in my new client.

1. A single inbox where all emails from my three different addresses arrive. I don't want to have to check three different inboxes.
2. Address book. Mail lists where I can put the nickname from a contact in the list instead of the actual email. Then if the contact changes their email I just change the email within the contact and every list they are in will function with the new address.

#3 ·
Sympatico Settings:
POP Mail Server
Server name: pophm.sympatico.ca
Port: 995
Connection Security: SSL/TLS
Outgoing Server (SMTP)
Server name: smtphm.sympatico.ca
Port: 587
Connection Security: STARTTLS

GMAIL Settings:

IMAP Mail Server
Server name: imap.gmail.com
Port: 993
Connection Security: SSL/TLS
Outgoing Server (SMTP)
Server name: smtp.gmail.com
Port: 587
Connection Security: STARTTLS

Nicknames:
You can add nicknames within the address book contact entry

Hope this helps.

#6 ·
You should use IMAP, if you use more than one device for email. With POP, messages are downloaded to one device and unavailable on others. There is a bit of a work around, where a message is left on the server for some period of time. With IMAP, the mail is stored on the server and always available to all devices, including via web mail. Also, with POP, sent email is not available on any device, other than the one that sent it. With IMAP, all devices can see all sent email, no matter where it was sent from.

#8 ·
^^^^
Doing that is a hack on the way POP was intended to be used. IMAP was intended from the start to be multiple client. It can also be configured to download a copy and work off line, for when you don't have an Internet connection.

Also, always use the "S" version of a protocol i.e. IMAPS, POPS etc., as that uses encryption between you and the server. Some servers, such as GMail, no longer support unencrypted connections.

#9 ·
I use T'bird and Gmail plus Rogers mail and receive mail on a PC,iPad and an iPhone. I use POP and leave messages on the servers. I am careful to only delete on the PC.
I noticed on the new iPhone that one has to forcefully make it use POP rather than IMAP...set up the mail as other rather than letting the phone just do it.

As for POPS I presumed that when one specified secure log on it would just do that. As you say Gmail only does encrypted then I guess that all happens behind the scenes!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

#13 ·
JD:
I absolutely want the email downloaded to the PC to reply, save, etc. It still leaves it up on the server and I can see them via webmail even when deleted from the PC.
Then you want to use POP3. To leave messages on server, check box under "Server Settings", leaving next two boxes unchecked.
Re IMAP, I've read threads that suggest Bell is having difficulties with IMAP on their new email server. (I've been assuming your email account has been migrated from Microsoft's servers - if not, there are other settings to use).

#15 ·
Then you want to use POP3.
As I mentioned, IMAP can be configured to download messages to the PC, but they're still left on the server. I run IMAP on a couple of computers, along with phone and tablet. Works well, as that's the way it's intended to be used. Using POP on multiple devices is a hack.
'

#16 ·
jdevlin, I would certainly recommend ThunderBird. It's one of the better eMail Client programs.

I like POP on my PC and IMAP on my devices. It seems to work best.

I don't know if I would really consider it a hack to leave your mail on the server. I certainly do and ThunderBird has the checkboxes for you to do this. Under Tools/Account Settings/Server Settings/ there is a checkbox to leave mail on the server. Then further checkbox to specify for how many days to leave them there or a checkbox to leave them until you specifically delete them.

ltr

#19 ·
Considering that Eudora development ceased in 2006, I think Thunderbird might be an improvement.
The only problem I have with Eudora is some emails don't display properly because I think they are HTML or something.
If I don't find what I like I will continue to use Eudora.

#20 ·
I like POP on my PC and IMAP on my devices. It seems to work best.
What does that get you that IMAP doesn't provide? If you want the messages retained on your computer, then just enable that in the account settings.

The one thing do not like is the new severs do NOT store sent mail online like the old ones did unless I send it via webmail.
It does if you use IMAP. IIRC, the sent mail was never stored on the server with POP.

#21 ·
JD
Don't know if you're hoping to port your email data over to T'Bird or not, but you might want to look at mozillazine.org - it used to be handled by the import wizard but no longer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.