Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Thunderbird email setup

5K views 34 replies 8 participants last post by  Norman_C 
#1 ·
Can anyone provide the current email setting for Thunderbird. I am attempting to move away from Eudora which hasn't been supported for years but works fairly well.
I have installed thunderbird but can not get it download any emails. I don't know how to see any errors that it might be getting.
If anyone can suggest something different than Thunderbird I am willing to try it.

Features of Eudora I would like in my new client.

1. A single inbox where all emails from my three different addresses arrive. I don't want to have to check three different inboxes.
2. Address book. Mail lists where I can put the nickname from a contact in the list instead of the actual email. Then if the contact changes their email I just change the email within the contact and every list they are in will function with the new address.

#27 ·
That's an issue with your "Outgoing Server (SMTP)" settings (right click on your Sympatico main mailbox on the program home screen).
The "Default" settings should read
Server Name: smtphm.sympatico.ca
Port: 587
User Name: (your email account @sympatico.ca)
Authentication Method: Normal password
Connection Security: STARTTLS

I've run into problems in the past on outgoing mail as Bell authenticates to their servers, not others

#31 ·
@jdevlin

Highlight Inbox then click Tools then Account Settings and scroll to the bottom of the left hand list for Outgoing Server.

If you still have issues after setting up for Bell then you could use Gmail as the server.
Server Name - smtp.googlemail.com
port - 465
Connection security - SSL/TLS
Authentication Method - Normal Password
User Name - "YourGmailName"@gmail.com

#35 · (Edited)
Right click on the very first "box" at the top of the program screen (probably called "Bell-JDevlin" or not)
Click on "Settings" or "View Settings for this Account"
Select "Outgoing Server (SMTP) - down at the bottom left
Window at bottom will show current settings (if you have multiple "servers", roll to the Bell one - it is likely the default)
Select "Edit" button on right to change settings

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.