Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Need Fast Internet

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  HenryWiggers 
#1 ·
I`ve had a fibre optic cable at the end of my street (300m) for 4 years now. I`ve talked to Bell many times and have been told they`ll let me know when high speed internet will be available. I live in a small town in central Ontario and it seems they don`t want to put any effort into this town. The cable has gone through this town for 4 years. Does anyone know what the real problem is? There are only 2 internet options here and both are slow (5mbs max.) and expensive. What are my options?

#2 ·
Buy 300m of optic cable from eBay and make your own patch work. Can't be difficult if there are YouTube videos on how to do it! :)

Seriously though, I feel your pain. We are almost in the same type of situation as yours. We are maybe 300m away from the natural gas pipeline away from our house, 800m away from the pumping station yet we can't be connected on it. To add salt to injury, each 6 months, we get paperwork telling us we are in the "danger" zone should something go wrong and informs us what to do in such a case.

As for your options, the only one I can see is maybe Xplornet but that medium isn't the best for game playing or even using Skype. Good to download few things here and there and forget about Netflix. Once you go pass their FAP (Fair Access Policy), your internet will be slower than dial up.

#4 ·
Holy crappeth!!! Is Happy Days or even The Partridge Family live on your cable? :eek:
This is ridiculous. I guess Xplornet will be the best bet for you.

#6 ·
FWIW, yesterday I briefly connected via Bell's LTE network, using a ZTE wireless modem. As I recall, I had almost 80 Mb down and about 20 up. I've also set up several businesses with similar service from Rogers. Anything like that in your area?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.