Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Home Internet by Virgin Mobile Canada

49K views 39 replies 20 participants last post by  John R.M. 
#1 ·
Virgin Mobile Canada offers super-speedy hook ups at home

Home Internet by Virgin Mobile is available right now to eligible Ontarians with two simple plans: 300 GB for $50/month or unlimited for $65/month. Both plans have no activation fee, no long term contract and no hidden fees. Download speeds of up to 25 Mbps and upload speeds of up to 10 Mbps.

Learn more about Home Internet by Virgin Mobile here.

#32 ·
just gotta figure out how to put it in bridged mode lol because the interface on this router is weird.
Disable wifi under Wireless. Disable gateway and UPnP under Status > Capability. Make a note of router IP address under Status > CM Status. Change the password and make a note of it. Reboot.

I use an Asus RT-AC66U internet router. It can be used as a router and it's really easy to set up as an access point or repeater. (As are their other RT routers since they use the same firmware.) Asus firmware support is really good as well.

#33 ·
Old thread but it's what came up when I searched for Virgin Mobile Internet.

Have an interesting situation going on. I buy lottery tickets online through the OLG's Playolg web site. Since switching to Virgin Mobile, I can't access the site, it needs to confirm I'm accessing it from Ontario, and they can't confirm via my IP address that I am. OLG simply says, " . . your IP address is routing through a connection that is not supported . . ".

Will follow up with VM and OLG to see if this can be fixed.

Another interesting development . . . while Bell only references Netflix in relation to Fibe TV, the loss of Fibe internet resulted in loss of Netflix through Bell TV. Have to revert to the old method of using Apple box and switching tv inputs, so not all is lost, but it does restrict watching Netflix on only 1 tv without buying another Apple type box.

#34 ·
So an update: OLG advises it's a problem with VM. Three attempts to resolve it with VM failed, the only way to deal with technical support is via phone, and no one I spoke with is willing/able to see the big picture of "How do we make things better for our clients?" There is no email address on the support website, and none provided when requested. May attempt to send email to corporate offices, failing that, back to Bell.

#35 ·
@John R.M. I think the problem is probably with OLG and/or their service providers. There is nothing in the IP address itself that tells a web site like OLG your physical location and there is no protocol for your ISP to disclose that info to a web site. VM is doing what it should be doing and OLG is not "willing/able to see the big picture of 'How do we make things better for our clients?'."

I expect that OLG is required by law to verify that the online lottery tickets are only sold to people physically present in the province of Ontario, so they are probably being extra cautious.

As a moderator on this forum, I can see the IP addresses of posts. I noticed that your IP address changed between the 2 posts you made, so I assume VM assigned a new IP address to try to help you solve the problem. I use the free lookup tool https://whatismyipaddress.com/ and both addresses show up as Ontario addresses.

Without knowing how OLG validates your location, it's possible that the database they use to look up IP addresses may be out of date. Geo-location using an IP address is not a precise science since various companies maintain databases of IP addresses using the IP provider's registration for blocks of addresses and various other techniques. Here are a couple of links if you're interested:

https://whatismyipaddress.com/geolocation
https://whatismyipaddress.com/geolocation-providers

-----

On the subject of some Fibe TV features not being available to non-Bell internet subscribers, you may also notice that the in-home features of the Fibe TV app no longer work since the internet service is no longer linked to your TV service. There is also some discussion of features that may or may not work if you have Fibe TV as a standalone TV service.

#37 ·
Thanks for this info. Back in October or so, the problem was resolved, I don't know how exactly. Interestingly, it started again this week so I sent another email to VM. No resolution at this point.

Re the IP address issue, I was able to enter the OLG site from the local Starbucks. I guess their IP address passes the OLG's test. When I have time I'll contact OLG again and discuss with them your thoughts on the matter.

#38 ·
@John R.M. if my theory about OLG not validating IP addresses is correct, then you were dynamically assigned a different address that passed OLG's test when the service was working. I checked your current IP address and it is different from the previous 2 and is listed as being in Ontario, so it sounds like Virgin's addresses change fairly often.

#39 ·
Thanks Dr. Dave. Based on your previous advice, I googled about IP addresses and location and learned through whatismyipaddress.com that my current IP address is from Toronto. While not exact, it is at least in Ontario. This should be good enough for OLG.ca, so I'll be contacting them again to try and get this resolved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.