Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Home Hub 3000 Modem

155K views 80 replies 36 participants last post by  JasperJoe 
#1 ·
Bell announced details of their new modem as part of their Q2 conference call:
• Best available wireless speed and coverage with 3x the Wi-Fi power and 2x more antennas than current modem
• Both FTTN and FTTH compatible
• Reduces number of stand-alone devices in a FTTH home from 5 to 1
• 30-minute decrease in installation times for new Fibe FTTH installs
• Throughput capability beyond 1 Gbps
• Fibre jack installation paves way for customer self-install
• Unique Internet back-up in event of power outage with optional battery ONT
Launching in August
According to the diagram on page 8 of the PDF, the Home Hub 3000 is equivalent to a Home Hub 2000, UPS, Battery, ONT and VAP.
Source: http://www.bce.ca/investors/financial-reporting/2016-Q2/2016-q2-presentation.pdf

The picture makes it look like the fibre jack is a module that plugs into the modem. I'm not sure if the VDSL jack for FTTN is also a module and they just preconfigure the modem for the type of connection they will need.

"Throughput capability beyond 1 Gbps" probably means that each port is 1 Gbps, but that the modem is capable of providing more than 1 Gbps total throughput if you have multiple devices active (once Bell offers a plan faster than 1 Gbps.)

#4 ·
I was told by the Bell person on the phone today that they have had no training on it and it is likely a couple months away from being available. Even though the doc said August. He said if it holds current pricing model it will be like $300.

#6 ·
i'm having a new install done today and I asked about the 3000....they said they can't give it to me.....if it is being released on the 21st, then why are they giving me the 2000 now?....its a matter of 2 days!.....already not happy....I hate getting antiquated equipment when something much better is available.

#7 ·
Bell added the link over the weekend, so the HH3000 should be available. I notice that they have 2x 5GHz, so I wouldn't be surprised if 1 band will be reserved for Fibe TV wireless PVRs and STBs.

Home Hub 3000: The most powerful Wi-Fi for your home | Bell

2x 5 GHz + 2.4 GHz
802.11ac
12 antennas

Take advantage of the battery back-up giving you Internet and Home phone usage for over 4 hours, during power outages. Another industry first by Bell.

1. You can recover your password at the simple push of a button.
2. Set up guest Wi-Fi to share your Internet with visitors without sharing your whole network.
3. Use your phone or tablet to manage who can access the Internet and when.
4. Easily share your music, pictures and movies with other compatible devices by connecting an external hard drive or USB key. (Notably computer devices with a Mac, Windows 7 or Windows XP operating system.) (supports USB 3.0)

Already a Bell Internet customer? Switch to the Home Hub 3000 for only $7.00/mo. or $199.95.

Additional details from the comparison chart: the HH3000 is included with Fibe TV. It looks like you get the HH2000 if you have internet-only, at least until the HH2000 inventory is used up. Depending on your negotiating skills, you will probably have to pay to upgrade to the HH3000 for existing or new installs if you don't have Fibe TV.

#68 · (Edited)
@Samson When the HH3000 was first released, I copied the specs and posted them in post 9.
4. Easily share your music, pictures and movies with other compatible devices by connecting an external hard drive or USB key. (Notably computer devices with a Mac, Windows 7 or Windows XP operating system.) (supports USB 3.0).
The link I copied from has now changed to promote WiFi pods, but it does support USB 3.0. It looks like it should connect to a standard hard drive. There are step-by step instructions to access the drive from a computer on the Bell support site, but I don't see any mention of DLNA, so I don't think it will do exactly what you want. Note the following:

How to connect a USB device to my Home Hub 3000 (Windows 7)
Share files on your home network by connecting a USB storage device (flash drive or external hard drive) to the Home Hub 3000. You can use one or both of the USB ports.

All users connected to the primary wireless network will be able to see, add, modify and delete files on the attached device. Users on the guest wireless network wonʼt have access to the device.

Please note: The set up and use of the USB feature is not supported by Bell Internet technical support due to the wide range of USB devices available.

#8 ·
So I had the whole setup done on Friday. A couple of things:

- They would not give me the HH3000 as it was not released yet, but was released 2 days later.
- The rep who took my order told me I would be able to have more than 1 TV on 4K, that is not the case. I now have a brand new Sony in the living room that cannot broadcast 4K.
- When I call them back on Monday, I told them the situation, but they said they had no info yet on whether or not the new HH3000 would be able to broadcast 4K to the wireless receivers. they would put a note in my file to allow me to switch when this was available.

Any insight on how Bell will handle delivering 4K to multiple 4K TV's in one House/Location?

#9 · (Edited)
I think there may have been a passing mention of a 4K Set-top box (non-PVR) coming in the future in the Fibe TV 4K thread. For technical reasons, you can only have one PVR per account. Unless you are on Fibre to the Home (FTTH), you probably won't have the bandwidth to support two different 4K channels simultaneously.

#10 ·
I understand that they may not have that ability now, but you would think they better figure it out....that would be like not being able to have more than 1 HDTV.....it seems kind of ridiculous....When HD came out, I could have as many as I wanted on Satellite, as long as I had the box and cable....I understand with IPTV there are limitations....Does Rogers have this issue?....I know they don't have a 4K PVR....but can you get more than 1 4K STB on one account/line?....what Bell has told me is that it is coming...I hope that's true and not more lies to keep me as a customer.....

#11 ·
If you want to discuss the details of 4K TV, you should use this thread:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/188-bell-fibe-tv/247473-fibe-tv-4k-discussion.html

There is a limitation on how much data you can transmit on a copper telephone line. That's why Bell is spending a billion dollars to rewire the city of Toronto with Fibre-to-the-Home for full 4K TV and Gigabit internet. 4K TV uses a lot more data than HD, which is why it may be an issue on copper lines. I can't say for sure if Bell will be able to handle more than 1 4K channel on a copper line, it will depend on your individual line speed. AFAIK Rogers can handle more than 1 4K STB, just no PVR.

#14 ·
Home Hub 3000 pair bonding?

I currently have FTTN Fibe 50 pair bonded service. I am being told that the HH 3000 does not support pair bonding; and if I want this modem I need to downgrade to Fibe 25 (single pair).

Any plans for the HH 3000 to support pair bonding in the future? Apparently my street is not included in the current gigagbit buildout; no ETA (burried underground service)

#16 ·
I currently have FTTN Fibe 50 pair bonded service. I am being told that the HH 3000 does not support pair bonding; and if I want this modem I need to downgrade to Fibe 25 (single pair).

Any plans for the HH 3000 to support pair bonding in the future? Apparently my street is not included in the current gigagbit buildout; no ETA (burried underground service)
I was also told by Bell that the 3000 modem will not work with Fibe 50 because of pair bonding. They could not provide an ETA for a workaround.

#15 ·
Canada's most powerful home Wi-Fi and the world's first fully wireless 4K IPTV service - now available only from Bell Fibe

Bell today announced the availability of the new Home Hub 3000, offering the most powerful home Wi-Fi service in Canada, and the world's first fully wireless IPTV service with the Wireless 4K Whole Home PVR from Fibe TV.

Home Hub 3000
With 12 antennas, total throughput capability of up to 1 Gigabit, automatic channel switching for reduced interference, and tri-band technology supporting multiple connected devices including smartphones, tablets and game consoles, the Home Hub 3000 modem/router offers broad and reliable coverage throughout the home. It's 3 times more powerful than the previous Home Hub 2000, and offers an easy-to-use web interface to manage Wi-Fi access and settings, and battery back-up that enables customers to use Fibe Internet during a power outage for up to 4 hours.

#17 ·
With the new Home Hub 3000 Does my 4k receiver need to be Ethernet wired?

Im confused at what they mean by wireless...Will the Home Hub 300 wireless transmit internet to the 4k receiver or does it still need the ethernet? I would rather not have to run an ethernet cable from the basement to the main floor if I can help it.

#19 ·
Im confused at what they mean by wireless...Will the Home Hub 300 wireless transmit internet to the 4k receiver or does it still need the ethernet? I would rather not have to run an ethernet cable from the basement to the main floor if I can help it.
You do not need the ethernet connection. All receivers have wireless capability with the Hub 3000.

#18 ·
The bottom line is that most people do not need nor will they ever use the wi-fi bandwidth the Home Hub 3000 router provides. This type of wireless router is designed for a business environment with a gigabit or faster internet connection. Someone with gigabit FTTH and extremely high wireless bandwidth requirements or a very large family might make use of it.

The Home Hub 3000 a total waste of money for someone with a 25Mb or 50Mb internet connection. Netflix uses about 5Mb/s at the highest setting so it would take 100 people running Netflix simultaneously to even get close to saturating the wi-fi on a Home Hub 3000. Meanwhile, the internet service would saturate at 5 to 10 Netflix connections.

Consider also that most devices will never get anywhere near 1Gb/s due to limitations of their built in wi-fi hardware. It would take 5 to 10 phones or tablets downloading continuously at maximum speed to take full advantage of the Home Hub 3000's wi-fi. The only way to get anywhere near a 1Gb/s connection with a single device would be to use another device capable of multiple, simultaneous connections on all bands such as another Home Hub 3000. Even then, local wi-fi regulations might restrict achieving the full hardware bandwidth

#27 ·
So Bell is shipping me the 3000 modem for me to install with my 4 k receiver myself. Given your experience watching the installer is the modem easy to set up with the 4K pvr? Also I assume they are not sending me a VAP so I hope this works well. Still concerned it will not work with pair bonding. I keep getting different opinions from Bell people about this.

#29 ·
I had bell services installed Oct 23rd, HH3000, FTTN, Fibe50. They couldnt get the full 50 (only about 48) so was given the option to have bonded service at 50 or drop down to 25. I opted for the bonded service. Tech came out yesterday and completed the bonded setup but had to replace the HH3000 with the HH2000 as the firmware on the 3000 does not yet support bonded connections. He tried to get it running on the 3000 but it would not connect, he advised it is coming but there was no ETA, i would assume sooner then later as that is their new flagship device that all new installs are getting by default.

#31 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.