Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Now in Scarberia!
The install with my Home Hub 3000 went well, and TV, internet, and home phone were working well. However, then I changed the router's subnet (as the modem will allow). Internet and home phone work working fine, but TV started cutting out even though the TV boxes were getting proper IP leases from the modem. The weird part is that even the TV boxes could display no TV, its Netflix app worked fine, which obviously means that internet access was still up, even when the boxes claimed they had no signal. I called Bell a few times but they had no solution, but did notice some signal dropouts on their end so they got the tech to replace the modem. Things were working fine, but then when I changed the subnet again, the same issue happened. I eventually just changed it back to the default 192.168.2.x and TV went back to normal. So, the dropouts appear to be some networking software bug, which affects my network on the 192.168.1.x subnet, but not the 192.168.2.x subnet. I know that some people have been able to change the subnet to 192.168.1.x with no problems, but not me. In order to fix this, I changed all my static devices on my home network to 192.168.2.x to make it work.
But then my home phone line disappeared. It wasn't properly provisioned on the modem. It just was gone completely. Bell phone support was able to restore though, after about 45 minutes on the phone with them.
After that, everything was working fine. TV had no signal related pixelation and it was rock solid. The internet was perfect and fast, and home phone worked perfectly including with my home alarm system and fax machine. And then a day later this replacement Home Hub 3000 simply crashed, and all we were doing at the time was watching Netflix on an iPad and surfing on two iPhones. Nothing else active. And it was not just a crash, but it was complete toast. It was stuck in a reboot loop, and holding down the reset button for 10-15 seconds (which is a hard reset) did nothing. Even 30-45 seconds (which is a factory reset) did absolutely nothing. The only way to reset it was to unplug it and take out the battery, but when plugged back in it just went back into the reboot loop. Interestingly, Bell could see the modem from their end, but noted it was using an older firmware. I told them that I specifically asked the tech if it had the latest firmware and the tech assured me it did, but the tech support on the phone said no, it was actually the latest R1.1 model but not the latest firmware, and that my earlier firmware in mine had known serious issues. Arrggh! They tried pushing a new firmware update which appeared to have been completed, but the modem stayed bricked. Same reboot loop behaviour. So, they will replace the modem tomorrow, and hopefully I will get one with the latest firmware. If not, I will ask them to push the new firmware right then and there.
I share the concern about home phone. One of the historical benefits of Bell home phone is the great reliability. However, that is no longer the case. Ironically, cell-based home phone is more reliable, and fortunately, I had already transitioned my main home phone number to a wireless based home phone system. That ZTE WF721 adapter has been rock solid since day one. It also has a built in battery so it can run during a power outage. Luckily I only use my Bell home phone for my home alarm and fax machine since the cell based service officially supports neither. I can confirm the fax isn't supported, but I do note that some people have been able to use certain home alarm systems with this cell adapter, so I might give that a try for the future if I ever decide to drop Bell home phone.