Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Home Hub 3000 Modem

155K views 80 replies 36 participants last post by  JasperJoe 
#1 ·
Bell announced details of their new modem as part of their Q2 conference call:
• Best available wireless speed and coverage with 3x the Wi-Fi power and 2x more antennas than current modem
• Both FTTN and FTTH compatible
• Reduces number of stand-alone devices in a FTTH home from 5 to 1
• 30-minute decrease in installation times for new Fibe FTTH installs
• Throughput capability beyond 1 Gbps
• Fibre jack installation paves way for customer self-install
• Unique Internet back-up in event of power outage with optional battery ONT
Launching in August
According to the diagram on page 8 of the PDF, the Home Hub 3000 is equivalent to a Home Hub 2000, UPS, Battery, ONT and VAP.
Source: http://www.bce.ca/investors/financial-reporting/2016-Q2/2016-q2-presentation.pdf

The picture makes it look like the fibre jack is a module that plugs into the modem. I'm not sure if the VDSL jack for FTTN is also a module and they just preconfigure the modem for the type of connection they will need.

"Throughput capability beyond 1 Gbps" probably means that each port is 1 Gbps, but that the modem is capable of providing more than 1 Gbps total throughput if you have multiple devices active (once Bell offers a plan faster than 1 Gbps.)

#62 ·
^^^^
The phone line connection is only for ADSL, not an a phone. You could certainly use VoIP through it, as you could any Internet connection. I have set up VoIP at several businesses, over the 1000 or 3000 hubs.

#63 ·
JamesK said:
The phone line connection is only for ADSL, not an a phone. You could certainly use VoIP through it, as you could any Internet connection. I have set up VoIP at several businesses, over the 1000 or 3000 hubs.
So if you had a standard FIBE FTNN setup and got a 3000, then you would still use the ADSL/VDSL POTS Splitter, and your home POTS would still plug into that splitter, and the DSL Modem output of that splitter would connect to the 3000 (while the VOIP POTS plug on the 3000 would go unused until FTTH was installed).

Is this correct?

#64 ·
^^^^
The DSL modem is built in to the hub. So, you connect the phone line¹ to the ADSL port, without using a separate modem. If you have fibre into your home or office, then there's a separate box (I've seen ones from Nokia) connected to the hub via Ethernet cable.

1. You only need a DSL filter if you have phones, etc. connected. The ADSL modem works fine without a filter, if there are no phones, as the purpose of the filter is to prevent phones from shorting the line at DSL frequencies.

#66 ·
Purchased a Home Hub 3000 and ran into some difficulties with it during the installation. It started correctly and then went into a reboot loop. Spent some time on the phone with Bell and could not resolve the issue and they recommended a tech visit. The tech arrived right on the dot for the time specified. Checked the unit and said will replace it with another. Went through the process of downloading etc and within fifteen minutes it was up and running. The whole process on the phone and in the home was handled professionally. Have dealt with Bell for decades and to date have never experienced negative situations that many posters allude too. Have always believed that people treat you in the same manner you treat them.

#69 ·
Does anyone know the maximum number of receivers the 3000 can support? I have a 2000 currently. I have five receivers connected to it by coax. Bell's technical support says the maximum number of wireless connections is two receivers. I see, in the modem backside image, the possibility of wiring additional receivers by ethernet connections.

#72 ·
Hi everyone. Question.... My mom is upgrading her internet and phone service. The new modem will be the BELL HOME HUB 3000 which has a battery in case of a power failure. Since the modem will also need to be working to have a functioning telephone can I add another UPS type battery that the modem would plug into. For example an APC UPS battery backup that the modem would plug in and extend the run time of the modem and allowing longer use of the telephones in an emergency. Would this work? Any issues that would arise

#73 · (Edited)
Since the modem will also need to be working to have a functioning telephone can I add another UPS type battery that the modem would plug into.
EDIT: I double-checked and the HH3000 has a battery backup and not an internal UPS, so the following warning does not apply.

Plugging one UPS into another is NOT recommended - here's why.

The battery backup is only used for phone service if your mother has fibre to the home (FTTH). In other words, she could subscribe to gigabit internet if she wanted. If she has fibre to the node, power is supplied over the copper lines that run to the home and there is battery backup at the node for power failures.

If she has FTTH, you can configure the HH3000 battery to only power the telephone portion of the hub to optimize backup time. There is an option to also power the internet circuitry, so you have internet access from a laptop or mobile device. Here are the instructions.

Keep in mind that cordless phones and some others require power to function, so you may need a UPS there, or have a simple wired phone available for emergencies.

#74 ·
Just as an FYI, the backup batteries in the nodes at various service providers are quite expensive. In many cases, they have not been replacing these when they fail. Consequently, if there is a power failure in your area your phone may be down, no matter if you have everything on a UPS or not. This happens to me, I raised the issue with Rogers, my provider, and they won't be doing anything about it since most people have a cell phone as a backup. Just the way it is nowadays.

I have all the appropriate equipment plugged into a UPS and it only helps keeping my PVR recordings going if TV is unaffected, depending on the exact location of the power failure. So PVR, Cable Modem (with backup battery), cordless phone base, all plugged into a UPS, which would stay up for several hours.

I would not consider a modem with (internal) battery backup plugged into a UPS to be "daisy chaining". Years ago this all worked fine, but the node battery in our area failed a few years ago and it will not be replaced. Even with a one minute (auto-reclosure) power failure, my phone goes down.

#75 · (Edited)
Just as an FYI, the backup batteries in the nodes at various service providers are quite expensive.
Another issue is theft of batteries from street boxes. That may be part of the reason why they don't get replaced.

@kdp224, As 57 suggested, a cell phone may be an option. Cheap flip phone may be best for someone unfamiliar with smartphones. Most carriers allow emergency 911 calls even if the plan expires. It may be possible to find a cheap plan with minutes that do not expire if non-911 calls may be needed in an emergency.

#79 ·
You're right - it is a battery backup, not a UPS. I was relying on my memory from 4 years ago which showed a diagram of the HH3000 taking the place of a Home Hub 2000, UPS, Battery, ONT and VAP.

The question remains whether the HH3000 will run on the UPS power or whether it will immediately switch to battery backup, as described in the APC link:
In most cases, daisy-chaining UPSs does not allow for extra run time. If you are using a UPS that outputs a step-approximated sine wave when on battery, as soon as the fist UPS goes on battery, the second UPS will also go on battery because it will see the step-approximated sine wave as distorted or bad power. Both units will discharge together, and will not provide any extra run-time to the load.

#80 ·
When the power goes out, the UPS will switch to battery backup to provide power. The HH3000 will use that power. When the UPS shuts down, the HH3000 will switch to battery backup. There is a chance that the HH3000 will see the UPS power as bad and go on battery backup. That should only happen with a very low quality UPS.

If you are using a UPS that outputs a step-approximated sine wave when on battery, as soon as the fist UPS goes on battery, the second UPS will also go on battery because it will see the step-approximated sine wave as distorted or bad power.
That happens because a typical UPS is more sensitive to poor power quality than most devices using switching power supplies. Unlike a UPS, switching power supplies are designed to be tolerant of poor power quality and out of bound voltage levels. It's better to purchase a large UPS that is capable of long run times under light load than to cascade UPS devices. If the load does not use a switching power supply, such as a high quality AVR that uses a transformer, it's better to use a UPS that generates a pure sine wave or to put it on a surge protected outlet with no battery backup.

#81 ·
It's really sad to read this thread: I had no idea that telcos are not replacing batteries at nodes. The one thing I've always been able to count on is the phone working when the power goes out. Fortunately we still have that protection where we live in the boonies.

I'm old enough to remember the telephone guy come to the house from time-to-time to replace the No.6 1.5V dry cells. We never had a crank phone - always had a dial (5 digit phone number).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.