Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

E mail from Bell

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  ExDilbert 
#1 ·
Anyone else get this notification from Bell?

We would like to inform you that due to an error on our part, we’ve been undercharging you for your Residence line. The correct rate of $37.82/mo., which includes a $2 increase that will be in place as of August 1, 2016, will be charged to your bill beginning September 2016. Rest assured, you will not be charged for the previous unbilled amounts. We’ll also apply a $10 monthly discount to this service for 12 months.
If you have any questions or wish to modify or cancel your services, please call us at 310-BELL (2355).
Thank you for being with Bell. We appreciate your business.

#2 ·
@Jorgek

Yes, I got the same e-mail, except my new rate is supposed to be $41.27, including the $2 increase. I was expecting the $2 increase, which I thought was already making the line too expensive, but being "undercharged" was a surprise.

The main reason for having a landline is because my security system is wired into it, but I am looking into the cost of upgrading to internet monitoring with cell phone backup. Inertia kept me from doing anything about it before, but now that Bell has prodded me into action they may lose me as a customer.

#4 ·
I had an interesting discussion with Bell customer service today while trying to figure out how to proceed in light of the Bell price increase. According to the Bell rep, the price increase was forced on Bell by the CRTC who required that they charge the new amount because their previous lower charge was unfair to the competition.

Since the Bell e-mail says that they have been under-charging for the residential line and makes no mention of regulatory requirements, it is unclear whether there is any CRTC requirement.

The phone call revealed that Bell is as confused about their current pricing as I was. Their "change my package" web page had not been updated with the additional $2 per month that went into effect on August 1. The web page offered 3 packages - Lite, Basic and Choice, but these have now been replaced with Lite and Choice ( Basic is no longer offered). The Bell rep said she had not encountered a customer whose new price was as high as $41.27. The others were offered $37.82 - the same as @Jorgek and she couldn't explain why mine was higher.

The net result was that switching to the Choice plan resulted in a rate that was less than what I was paying before the increases outlined in the e-mail.

Now I know that keeping a landline is considered old-fashioned and many people have switched to cell phones only. I checked into upgrading the security system and it would add $9 per month for just GSM monitoring, or $15/month for internet monitoring plus GSM backup. Then I would need to add a VOIP phone or a cell phone plan to replace the landline. Since I have Rogers for internet, a VOIP phone would mean all my communication would depend on Rogers and I am uncomfortable with that. The final clincher is that I have had to make use of 911 service for medical reasons, and that is worth a premium to me, although it would not matter to the majority of people. As it is, I'll have to wait until I get the next bill to make sure I am being charged what was quoted.

If anyone has any information on this supposed CRTC requirement that Bell increase the basic rate, would appreciate a link so I can read about it.

#6 ·
Apart from a few minor fees, the CRTC does not regulate retail prices. It does regulate wholesale rates to third party retail providers which are set as a percentage of Bell's retail rates. When Bell wants a wholesale price increase, it can just increase retail prices. Prices are probably still lower than if there were no competition.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.