Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

VOIP combination with FIBE Internet/TV

8K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  ExDilbert 
#1 ·
I am late to the party considering VOIP as a replacement for Bell POTS. I have done a reasonable amount of reading and research but lots more still needed.

The configuration that I am considering is:

- Existing FIBE Internet & TV (this would require a dry loop)
- Connecting an ATA modem to my HomeHub 2000 for VOIP service to my existing phones (corded and wireless)
- Porting my existing home hone number to the selected VOIP provider

My questions:

1. Does anyone have this configuration?
2. What would be the approximate cost of the dry loop?
3. Is there any physical changes required by Bell to make this change (there is fibre service to my condo and copper to my unit)?
4. Any potential conflicts in using the HomeHub 2000 with VOIP

All comments welcomed.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have this configuration and I do not pay for the dry loop. I think that this charge is only for third party providers that use Bell's line.
I just plug ATA modem to Home hub 2000 and that is it. ATA modem should work with any internet provider. I had it connected to cable internet before and did not have to do any changes when switched to Bell Fibe.

#5 ·
Dry loop charges apply to internet service without Bell phone service. Bell can and sometimes does charge a dry loop fee with their own internet. However, they usually waive it when subscribing to Bell services. Dropping the POTS service might incur a dry loop fee but is unlikely since both internet and TV services are from Bell. If they try, just threaten to cancel over the fee and they will likely drop it. Do not cancel on the spot since that would cause a disruption in service. Call a competitor and arrange for transfer of internet service.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.