Can a home phone # be ported to a cell? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 2016-04-26, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Location: Oakville Ontario Canada, Bell-FibeTV, VIP-2262, Toshiba 46XV540U
Can a home phone # be ported to a cell?

This may be a stupid question, so please bear with me.

My wife and I both have cell phones, but my wife does not check her's consistently. She relies mostly on our Bell home phone. I want to drop that Bell home phone and switch to a cheap non-smart cell with a very cheap voice plan.

But I want to keep the same number on the cell as we already have on the home phone.

Is this possible?

Thanks, Rich
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 2016-04-26, 10:21 PM
That depends on the number and the company to which it's being ported. It should be possible in most cases. The only way to know for sure is to ask the company that is providing the new cell phone. Another option is to port it to a cheap VOIP plan and forward it to one of the existing cell phones.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 2016-04-27, 04:34 AM
In BC we ported our home phone to a Speakout cell phone.
So it can be done in some areas.
We just asked and they confirmed they could do it. Didn't believe it until it was done.
Reason we did it is because we could not get a local voip number or port it to
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 2017-04-01, 10:30 AM
Location: Toronto, Rogers, SA8300HD + 640GB external drive. Samsung LCD LN40A750 1080p 120Hz. Blu-Ray BD-P1500
Yes, Bell can port most of their home numbers to a mobile phone. They will check for you to ensure that yours is one that can be ported.

If you go with Bell for the mobile phone service, there won't be any downtime while they port the number. My mobile phone started working with my old/ported Bell phone number once the Bell home phone number stopped working. If you want the Bell home number ported to a different mobile provider, there could be a few days downtime.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.