Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Can a home phone # be ported to a cell?

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Alan Toronto 
#1 ·
This may be a stupid question, so please bear with me.

My wife and I both have cell phones, but my wife does not check her's consistently. She relies mostly on our Bell home phone. I want to drop that Bell home phone and switch to a cheap non-smart cell with a very cheap voice plan.

But I want to keep the same number on the cell as we already have on the home phone.

Is this possible?

Thanks, Rich

#2 ·
That depends on the number and the company to which it's being ported. It should be possible in most cases. The only way to know for sure is to ask the company that is providing the new cell phone. Another option is to port it to a cheap VOIP plan and forward it to one of the existing cell phones.

#3 ·
In BC we ported our home phone to a Speakout cell phone.
So it can be done in some areas.
We just asked and they confirmed they could do it. Didn't believe it until it was done.
Reason we did it is because we could not get a local voip number or port it to voip.ms.

#4 ·
Yes, Bell can port most of their home numbers to a mobile phone. They will check for you to ensure that yours is one that can be ported.

If you go with Bell for the mobile phone service, there won't be any downtime while they port the number. My mobile phone started working with my old/ported Bell phone number once the Bell home phone number stopped working. If you want the Bell home number ported to a different mobile provider, there could be a few days downtime.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.