Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Fibe service all the way to my home?

4K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  ExDilbert 
#1 ·
I recently moved to Ancaster and was told that the home is eligible for Bell Fibe Internet. This was good news to my family because where we lived previously Bell could only give us DSL.

After talking to a few people who live in the area they are saying it is only Fibe up to the edge of the subdivision, not all the way to the homes. Is this true?

The area was built out in the 1980's and I don't see any proof of installation of cabling recently on roads or boulevards.

My concern is that Bell is charging me for Fibe but if I cant get the full effect, why bother with the higher pricing??

#2 ·
There are two flavours of FibeTV:

• FTTH - Fibre to the Home
  • FTTN - Fibre to the Node (somewhere in your neighborhood -copper is used to your house)

FTTH has the potential to deliver an improved service but as far as I know Bell delivers identical service on each. In any case there is no difference in price between the two.

-Mike

#4 ·
There seems to be great confusion over what Fibe is. Fibe is merely a marketing tool, it does not mean optical fibre, it does not mean necessarily that you would be on a remote. Fibe is dsl service. If you have DSL you are eligible for Fibe service which is for all technical purposes identical.
Should you choose to switch from DSL to Fibe, chances are that bell will simply tweak their software called "lantern" and possibly get you a better speed(no guarantees).

#5 ·
My old neighbourhood is getting FTTH

I'm in an early 50s subdivision near the Pharmacy-Ellesmere intersection in Scarborough. We have had FTTN for several years now. This spring a crew from a company called Expercom is working for Bell in our neighbourhood installing FTTH. There will be some underground work and installation of what Bell's notification letter calls "Grade Level Boxes", but they are also stringing fiber optic cable for the Bell above-ground wiring on poles above our back fences. They said the work should be done in a couple of weeks. It will be interesting to see what speeds Bell will be offering on this improved connection, as well as the price they'll ask.

#7 ·
We are still on POTS here. No FTTN and no known plans for Bell to provide it. I find it interesting that many Canada's largest cities are not fully served by FTTN yet Bell is upgrading FTTN served areas in Toronto to FTTH. Yet more proof that Bell is run by a bunch of self serving hypocrites.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.