Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

apple mail and sympatico/bell accounts

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Alan Raphael 
#1 ·
Anyone else have a problem with these two working together? I keep getting asked to re-enter my password for my mail accounts. It will work for a while and then it keeps asking for password. Don't know if its the email app or the accounts or that they just won't work together

#3 ·
I've been having this problem for years!!!!! Different cities, different Macs, different OSes, same Bell.

It happens about twice a year. The Bell support rep. usually would have me go to the Microsoft page to see if my password worked in 'Web' mail. Sometimes it did, sometimes, not. Then they would have me change my password. Then it would happen with the new password and the cycle would continue.
The last time [a month ago] a was angry, since I had changed nothing, again, and the Bell rep. tried to point the finger at Apple not playing nice with Outlook [This is what Bell uses] on the web.

Lately a dialogue box came up, the usual "Mail Password required". I ignored it and Mail continued and still continues, to work!!????

I wish I had an answer for you instead of just 'me too'. Maybe if enough people with this complain we may see an answer.

#4 ·
News today from Bell. They are changing their servers to IMAP which should help this problem. They acknowledged that my [above] problems existed, finally.

Depending on what particular server one is on will determine when your Mail program will work properly again. Apparently an e-mail will be issued with instructions on changing you settings.

#5 ·
Any further info on this?

I've had Bell mail for years and had set up the IMAP server late 2015 but just 2-3 weeks ago I started to have trouble with my iPhone and Macbook mailboxes staying in sync.

If I delete a message or move it to a folder it may or may not do so on the other device or on the bell.net webpage for mail. Sometimes it will move it but leave the message as 'read' in the inbox on other devices.

Also I sometimes see mail on the Macbook arrive and then moments later disappear but still be on the phone.

I also get intermittent messages:

on iPhone6 - Cannot get mail. The mail server imap.bell.net is not responding. Verify that you have entered the correct mail account info in Mail Setting.

on Macbook using Mac Mail - The server returned the error: Connections to the server imap.bell.net on the default ports timed out.

Those message may show up for a few minutes and then it checks mail fine. Very random and intermittent.

Crazy. I have spoken with tech support many times over the past weeks to no avail. Anybody else having this trouble? They don't seem to be aware of it...

THANKS!
Alan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.