Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

problem with OUTLOOK 2003 email client + my old SYMPATICO id

4K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  tux 
#1 ·
I realize I'm in an "unsupported" situation with BELL because of my ancient software - WINXP SP3 + my Outlook 2003 (configured as a POP3 email client).

That said, I'm at my "wits ends" in terms of trying to correct a problem I have, so I'm just trying to grasp at any straw or suggestion that someone might have.

I have 2 computers and 2 ids ... 1 mine and 1 my wife's.

They are both essentially identical in terms of their OUTLOOK 2003 email POP3 client environment and using very old original BELL {user id}.SYMPATICO.CA email ids.

I've followed all BELL's directions for properly configuring the OUTLOOK 2003 Client settings for the BELL Servers (i.e. pophm.sympatico.ca, smtphm.sympatico.ca, using the BELL specified ports (995 and 25 ... and I've also tried 587 that they suggest if 25 is a problem)

Problem:
On my computer my OUTLOOK 2003 is working fine. On my wife's computer, when OUTLOOK 2003 starts it pops an error message complaining that the POP3 server's Security Certificate is Untrusted.

"The server you are connected to is using a security certificate that could not e verified.

A certificate chain processed, but terminated in a root certificate which is not trusted by the trust provider.

Do you want to continue using this server? Yes No

Question:
As I said, I'm at my "wits end" for a long time now trying to get rid of this problem with no luck.

Any suggestions ... possibly from someone who may have had the same problem ... would be much appreciated.

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Had a similar problem with my Eudora last summer. You will need to download the new certificate. (I don't know how to do it in Outlook). If it works anything like Eudora you will need to do it three times. It seems there are sub certificates that download once you get the main one.

#3 ·
I was going to suggest just clicking Yes, after manually verifying it's the correct site and encryption is being used. That carries a minor security risk but it's not likely to be an issue.

Updating the security certificate is a much better idea. It's most likely that the certificate on the PC is out of date. Running Microsoft Update, Windows Update or Office Update might fix it since certificate updates are often distributed through product updates. Note that Microsoft recently "lost" a number of root certificates in a recent server crash. (They are attempting to retrieve them.) In addition, a number of root certificates have been revoked due to security issues so that could be the cause. Don't know if MS is still supporting Outlook 2003. If not, that could be the reason for the lack of a valid certificate. In that case, a manual update might be required.

#7 ·
You could probably export the certificates from your system (that has them) and then import them on your wife's system.

I pay $5/month for Google Apps for Business. All the ads go away (in fact you get to customize it with your own branding/logo), you get 30 GB of mail box storage and a host of other Apps (word processor, spread sheet, drawing tools, etc.) all accessible from anywhere via the cloud. You can even register your own domain name and then have an email @yourdomain.whateveryoulike. which looks a lot more professional and doesn't change if you change ISPs someday. You also get Google Authenticator (two factor authentication) so your email can't be broken into.

Yes, I know you get the email from Sympatico for free and you are getting what you arr paying for, pay nothing, get nothing.

One of the biggest things is the power of Google search against your email. sub-second access to any message. I have 40,000 messages in my inbox and only using 6 GB of 30 and I can find any one of the 40,000 message in an instant.

Something to consider, to me it well worth it.

#10 ·
I don't pretend to be an expert but I do not understand this. I use IMAP or POP3 and ssl/tls which is supposedly securing my login, etc.
Had an HP tablet at one time that did not have email ssl/tls capability and did not take it out of the house but everything else I have does use that.
If referring to gmail I use thunderbird with ssl/tls or in a web browser https, so don't see a problem.

#11 ·
Whatever works for you. Personally I hate using an ISP provided email address so I just take whatever ISP I'm using at the moment and forward to the custom address I've had for years. Likely email isn't as important to you but I use mine for business so I can afford to have it change when I change ISPs (have to reprint business cards) and of course it looks more professional.

#12 ·
If your POP3 server is using port 995 with SSL, your password is NOT being sent in the clear, at least not to the POP server.

On the other hand, your password MAY BE sent in the clear to the SMTP server if you are using password authentication on either of ports 25 or 587, and with SSL unchecked.

If you are getting untrusted root certificates, you may need to download a "Root Certificate Update". Check Windows Update, go to "Custom", and check the optional updates. There may be some updates you haven't yet installed, including Root Certificate Updates.

If there's nothing there, then you're SOL, and that's one of the hazards of running obsolete software.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.