Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

PS3 can't connect to Home Hub 2000

8K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  EnderWiggin 
#1 · (Edited)
Most of my devices connect to the Bell Home Hub 2000 fine, except for my PS3 and an old Toshiba laptop. I tried restarting the HH2000, changing the SSID and password, the PS3 sees the network but refuses to connect. I recently added a new WDTV and it connected fine.

I tried using a guest account, and changed the security type from WPA2-PSK (AES) to TKIP, and then TKIP/AES, no connect, then I tried WEP 64-bits, there was a long delay and then I get a timeout message. I even removed the security and it did not work.

So what can I do with the PS3?

#2 · (Edited)
Quick Google Search found this.

PS3 Settings
(in no particular order...)
1) Give the PS3 it's own IP address manually, make sure it's outside the range of ports reserved by the Homehub for it's DHCP (dynamically assigned) IP addresses.

2) Find out the Primary and Secondary DNS addresses from the Status>INternet Connection page of the HomeHub settings, put those manually into the PS3. (Also, for 'default router' enter the IP address given for the homehub device as listed on the homehub Configuration>Devices page)

3) Enter the SSID of the homehub manually.

4) Do enable Upnp

5) Keep MTU on automatic

HomeHub Settings

a) Only one big tip here - and this is after I've tried lots of other people's tips on this - don't use port forwarding. You just don't need it. All you need to do is to go to the hub's Configuration>Devices page and 'edit' the ps3 device (that's assuming you've already been able to at least connect the Ps3 to the hub's wireless network - it should show up on the list as a complex-looking mac address - something similar to 00:33:c7:76:3b:a9, but the best way to tell which device is the Ps3 is to look across to the IP addresses - if you've set the Ip address manually on the PS3 you should know the number) and under 'type' select 'Gaming Console'. This will open up all the ports you should need automatically (but there might be some games out there, not many, where you need to open a port, but it's unlikely. I play Team Fortress and Tekken without any port issues)

b) make sure that the hub has Upnp enabled. (Configuration>Application Sharing>Upnp)

c) Do set up WEP encryption to secure your network (and make sure you have the correct key in the Ps3.)

Now, this is the most important bit, and it solved all of my ps3/homehub issues instantly:

If, like me, you've started out with connectivity problems (usually because you try to leave everything on automatic and hope it'll all connect and work first time) then you've probably tinkered with settings on the ps3 and on the homehub to make things work. I tried all kinds of combinations, including port forwarding on the hub, and fixing the IP on the ps3 but leaving the DNS to auto, etc etc etc. In the end, with all sorts of intermittent problems, the best I got was a poorly performing Upnp-disabled and port-forwarding setup, it would work one minute and not the next. So, working on the idea that both the PS3 and the Homehub must be retaining some false settings somewhere, the answer that solved my problems in less than a minute was:

i) Reset the PS3 (Settings>System Settings>Restore Default Settings) Please NOTE: this is NOT the 'Restore PS3 System' option, which would blank the whole console; the Restore Default Settings option will mean that you'll have to put all of your custom settings back like desktop, theme, and other system preferences, but it shouldn't take more than a few minutes - and it's worth it, as it removed any confusing remnants of all of my previous network settings.

ii) On the homehub, go to Configuration>Devices and delete (yes, really) the PS3 device. This will get rid of any odd IP related hiccups that the homehub might have relating to it. Then, reboot the router. When you turn on the ps3 it'll put the device back on the list (and you'll need to set it to be a 'Gaming Console' again, as mentioned above).

And that was it. With all of the settings mentioned above (which I had tried before, but hadn't worked previously) and after those last two steps I now have a flawless connection to online gaming and the playstation network/store etc.

I get NAT type 2, and for no good reason I once got NAT type 3, but a homehub reboot solved that.

Lastly, if you seem to be connected but when you try to download or play online you're not, check that you don't have anything close to the ps3 which also uses the 2.4ghz frequency (such as cordless phones.) In my house, I was amazed to find that a wireless video sender was knocking a hole through my wireless networking to the ps3. Simply turning the sender off while I use the ps3 solved the flaky connection issues I was having)

If that doesn't work. The same person did this after the top didn't work after awhile.

To prove the point, I solved my problems in 3 minutes yesterday by buying a ethernet-over-power adaptor. I plugged one unit into a socket near the router, the other next to the ps3, hooked up the network cables and that was it:

#3 ·
First off, thanks for taking the time to give me (and everyone else) such a complete explanation and all your suggestion. I know from experience writing an answer like that is not a 1-2 minute task. I tried your instructions, but the PS3 is still refusing to connect, even with a reset. And even though the PS3 sees the network, the PS3 is not listed in the Home Hub 2000, I examined all the unconnected mac addresses, so clearly it never connected to this router. The last time it connected was with the previous router (Home Hub 1000) from BELL.

I think I will follow your final suggestion and try a wi-fi to Ethernet adapter. Thanks again for your time!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.