Unscheduled Mystery -- Bell HS DSL Modem Alternative -- And Browsing Problem
Bell HS Friends,
Here's a detective story about replacing a fried modem, including false leads by friendly Bell HS support staff. So, basically, the hope is that someone can share any good ideas concerning the predicament faced by our family. We are one week now without our Internet, which is too long for an unscheduled mystery . . .
1. CRIME #1: Speedstream 5200 modem fried. Diagnosed by Bell. Bell sends new combo router/modem/wireless thingee. Possible justice . . .
2. CRIME #2: Multiple hours with Bell reps on phone but cannot get modem to work properly. One rep walks me thru setting up the WAN MiniPort adapter. However, it doesn't work consistently and doesn't work on other computers. At least we have shown that the DSL line and CO connection is working, as sometimes it is possible to browse. But WAN MiniPort is nuts (and according to another rep, "non-standard"...) . . . Decide to go with older modem only box, which is now scheduled for delivery. No justice yet . . .
3. ANOTHER SOLUTION: Waiting for delivery of older modem-only box, I decide to try a third party modem, the D-Link 2320B. Have varying reports as to whether this modem will work with Bell. But TigerDirect guy in store says (a) that he has friends using the modem on Bell and (b) if it doesn't work I can bring it back. Also, the nice Canadian D-Link support person says that there are many people using the 2320B on Sympatico. A lead!
4. THAT SOLUTION WORKS -- ALMOST: Setting up the modem (either directly connected to computer or connected via a DLink Router to same computer), we get a solid green DSL and solid green Internet light, and an IP address in the modem status page, and the modem status information seems to indicate total success.
5. BUT SOLUTION CAN'T BROWSE -- However, I cannot browse, from the same browser that goes successfully to the modem web page. Get an "invalid address" message. The DSL and Internet lights do not flicker on the modem, during the attempt, suggesting that the request is not going out and back.
6. DIAGNOSIS -- In order to diagnose the problem, I have double checked all the settings, and I have turned off the firewalls. Ping does not work for domain names (haven't tried IP addresses).
7. QUESTION NO. 1 -- THIRD PARTY MODEMS WORK? Do third party modems work with Bell Sympatico?
8. QUESTION NO. 2 -- MODEM SETUP -- Is there any setup configuration things that I need to be aware of with the 2320B?
9. QUESTION NO. 3 -- OTHER ISSUES -- Are there any other things that anyone thinks might be helpful here???
I'm soooooo close to resolution here -- I hope. The older Bell modem will be delivered, then I can try that. It should work as the setup will be identical to the previous setup. And justice will be achieved!
Perhaps the answers here will be helpful to other people.
Thanks for any help.