Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

MTS 4K TV discussion

Tags
4k tv
6K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  Dr.Dave 
#1 ·
This thread is for discussion of the 4K hardware and service for Bell MTS TV. See the following thread for details of Bell's Fibe TV 4K service in Ontario and Quebec:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/188-bell-fibe-tv/247473-fibe-tv-4k-discussion.html

MTS has begun a soft launch of the 4K PVR hardware, however no 4K channels are available yet. Here are the hardware specs for the PVR (same equipment as other Bell regions)
  • UHD HEVC, 4k x 2k p60 10-bit Client STB
  • 802.11ac 5GHz 4x4 Wi-Fi
  • Supports Standard Definition (mini-DIN breakout cable) and High Definition (SD/HD) high-quality digital video (HDMI 2.0)
  • 1TB hard disk drive (HDD) for Multi-room DVR (watch and record)
  • High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMITM) connectivity with High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP)
  • Universal Remote Control friendly, support IR and BLE options
  • Supports multiple video codecs – including HEVC, MPEG-4 AVC (H.264). MPEG-2 and VC-1
  • Optical audio output / Analogue audio (mini-DIN breakout cable)
  • Status LEDs (Wi-Fi, Link, Bluetooth, Record)
The cost of the 4K PVR is $11/month compared to $8/month for the regular HD PVR.

Presently, the only 4K service is the Netflix app, which requires that you have a Netflix 4K subscription.

https://www3.bellmts.ca/mts/support/tv/fibe+tv/features/how+to+use+netflix+on+fibe+tv

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
#4 ·
It looks like the YouTube app is available (only for the 4K Whole Home PVR.)

YouTube on Fibe TV
The YouTube app is only available for the 4K Whole Home PVR which is included in the subscription to "4K Service", and a minimum Internet plan of Fibe 50Mbps and above. You must also have a 4K compatible television to view content in 4K.

How do I access YouTube?
Press menu on your remote to bring up the Fibe menu options. Scroll down to the apps section using your directional pad, press OK, select YouTube.

Do I need to sign up for YouTube?
You're free to watch YouTube videos as a guest, however, if you have a Google account, you can sign in to access your unique YouTube playlists and channel subscriptions by first signing in to your Google profile on the YouTube app on Fibe TV. Click on the above link for details on signing in, parental controls, language preferences and troubleshooting.

How much does YouTube cost?
YouTube is available free of charge with your subscription to “4K Service”. Bell MTS does not charge additional fees to access YouTube.
Bell MTS does not charge extra for Internet usage.

How do I exit the YouTube app?
There are multiple ways for you to exit the YouTube app:
  • Press and hold (2 seconds) the BACK/EXIT button on the Fibe TV remote to exit the app.
  • Press the GUIDE button to exit the app and display the guide.
  • Press the MENU button to exit the app and launch the Fibe TV menu.

Does watching YouTube on my Fibe TV set-top box use one of my four (4) streams?
No, 4K YouTube does not use a stream on the set-top box. If you are using all four (4) streams to watch other programming, you will still have access to 4K YouTube on your set-top box.

#5 ·
Take your TV viewing to new heights with 4K

Sports in 4K - TSN 4K, TSN2 4K, Sportsnet 4K, Sportsnet One 4K
Netflix in 4K - A separate subscription to Netflix service is required
YouTube in 4K

What you need to get started with 4K
  • Our 4K set-top box
  • A 4K TV
  • 4K programming
  • Fibe 50 or faster Internet plan
Bell MTS 4K TV Service only available on one TV per household. Service available in select areas.

Note that not all content on the sports channels are in 4K. Sportsnet has the Blue Jays - I think all the home games are 4K. TSN has 1 Toronto FC game, 3 CFL games and The Queen's Plate for the month of June.
https://www.tsn.ca/tsn-4k-broadcast-schedule-1.900579

#7 ·
Telus recently announced they were the first in Canada to support 4K HDR. They use the same TV hardware and software as Bell, MTS and the the other telcos in Canada. They mention Netflix and some on demand content are HDR, but they don't mention any live channels.

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/18...63002-telus-4k-discussions-4.html#post3058999

MTS' page says the PVR is HDR ready. They use the same Netflix app, so I'm not sure if Telus has a more recent update, if MTS has to update the PVR firmware, or if the Netflix app will let the 4K HDR pass through as is.

I don't know if they plan to allow more streams. The issue is that a 4K stream takes about the same bandwidth as 3 HD streams. More 4K streams would require FTTH and there aren't many locations in Winnipeg that have that yet.

I also notice that MTS updated their pricing to include 4K programming cost. 4K TV service $22/mo. Includes hardware rental, Whole Home PVR and 4K programming fees compared to $11/mo. for Whole Home PVR hardware rental and fees.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.