wifi phone - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 2018-01-28, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

wifi phone

Looks like Bell MTS CDMA phones definitely won't work in the US anymore. Too bad... many of the people I know who live there still use CDMA and still gives the best coverage...
In any case, in order to have phone service when I am down south I purchased a Samsung Smartphone. Works ok except no service at home. I have to go outside to send or receive phone calls. Old phone even worked perfectly in the basement... Anyway, most new smartphones are able to switch over to wifi when out of range of LTE/GSM range. I am unable to find this setting to enable in this particular phone... According to google it should be in the wifi menu advance options, but I see nothing there regarding this. Maybe there is an firmware update or something this phone is missing?
Would be nice to have it work in the house since we do have wifi available here even if out of range of MTS.

SBGH @ 46', 10' C-band, & various home made projects...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 2018-01-28, 10:59 PM

Have you checked with MTS to see if their network supports Wi-Fi calling? That is a fairly new feature and MTS may not have upgraded their network. Cellphone providers usually customize the firmware on their phones to match their network, which would explain why the feature isn't in the menu.
Cham likes this.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 2018-01-29, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

I'll talk to the MTS people today, plan on dropping by one of their stores. I didn't see anything on their website, but it would be easy to miss. Other carriers don't seem to push it, many users are unaware of the service.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 2018-01-29, 09:50 PM
Veteran

Rogers has a wifi calling plan but from what I could see they charge the same rates for wifi calling as they do for regular wireless calling. That seems like a gigantic riff-off. I'd be careful of MTS doing something similar.

Another option is to use a free wifi calling app. There are lots of them available. I use TextNow because it offers both free calling and free texting. Some apps offer one for free and charge for the other. Audio quality is often not that good with free apps. If good audio quality is important, it may be worthwhile to pay a small fee to get it. Using a wifi app not associated with the wireless carrier usually means getting another phone number which may expire if not used frequently. Some apps charge a small fee for more permanent number.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 2018-01-30, 10:48 AM
Veteran

Cham, what exactly are you trying to acomplish in the USA with your phone? Are you trying to get CDMA coverage? are you trying to make calls over wifi? what exactly is your goal? please let us know, your topic is rather confusing to some degree

Bell Satellite TV, 9400 HD PVR, 65 Inch LED TV, Smart Blue Ray Player, No sound system.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 2018-01-31, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dave View Post
Have you checked with MTS to see if their network supports Wi-Fi calling? That is a fairly new feature and MTS may not have upgraded their network. Cellphone providers usually customize the firmware on their phones to match their network, which would explain why the feature isn't in the menu.
Apparently Bell has WI-Fi calling in Manitoba but BellMTS does not offer it at this time.
Dr.Dave likes this.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 2018-02-08, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

Debbie at the MTS store says MTS mobility does not have wifi calling at this time, there is a plan to (likely) add it to the system in the not-too-far-future. That does make sense as @mbhydro indicates it is available through Bell Mobility. We'll have to wait and see.

@Paolo , I recently upgraded to a new Samsung smartphone because I no longer had network access in the US as a BellMTS customer with an older CDMA phone. Now it seems I have no coverage at home (literally in the house, in Manitoba) with LTE or GSM/HSPA, but I have excellent wifi coverage via a non-MTS provider at home and around the yard on my own network. Would be nice for the wifi to make up for the poor coverage at home if wifi calling is an option. Hope that makes sense.

At least I am making good use of voicemail...

post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 2018-02-08, 11:10 AM
Veteran

Like I said in #4, use a free wifi calling app. There are dozens available. Most supply a new phone number. Android 8.0 (Oreo) has wifi phone built in.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 2018-02-10, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

I do have skype and have been using it for years, but newer versions indicate you require an account with a balance, so it's not so popular anymore. Most have switched to Facetime but I have an android... It's just so much simpler to have a regular phone number working.
Regarding Android version, this phone is version 7. Not sure when it will update to 8, so far only the Galaxy S etc are updated to 8 as far as I know. Mine is an Xcover4. Could force an update but might not be a great idea in case there are issues being worked out.

post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 2018-02-11, 12:17 PM
Veteran

Cham, about your original statement, CDMA is being decommissioned not just in Canada but in North America as well, which means USA. CDMA coverage probably used to be very good at one time, but CDMA is a 2G technology, and all the major players stopped expanding that coverage long ago. 3G and 4G coverage is now the dominant standard for all networks in North America, does not mean 2G CDMA is gone, it still exists in small pockets but its at the end of its life.

The phones that you are talking to have a feature called Wi-Fi Calling, its not really new, it's been around as early as 2008/2009, well at least that is the first time I've used a handset with that technology. Basically, when the phone does not find sufficient 3g or 4G cell coverage, it will connect to a wi-fi network to complete calls. so this is great for people who live in basement appartments where there is no cell signal or on the border of coverage, they can still make and receive calls and the network treats it like they are on the network.

bell mobility certainly supports wi-fi calling, but you need a phone from bell with the feature built in to use it. Sometimes phones from the states have this feature but that does not necessarily mean bell enables the feature here in the bell equivalent version of the phone. please tell us the make and model and we can check for you

Bell Satellite TV, 9400 HD PVR, 65 Inch LED TV, Smart Blue Ray Player, No sound system.
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 2018-02-11, 03:03 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Basically, when the phone does not find sufficient 3g or 4G cell coverage, it will connect to a wi-fi network to complete calls.
Actually, it's the other way around. It uses the cell network when WiFi is not available. I'm on Rogers and my Pixel 2 has WiFi calling. I finally get a reliable connection in my home. Once you have WiFi calling set up, it should work anywhere, whether there's a cell signal available or not.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 2018-02-11, 03:51 PM
Veteran

How do you get billed for the wifi minutes. Is it the same as wireless minutes?
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 2018-02-11, 06:06 PM
Veteran

^^^^
Yes.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 2018-02-12, 10:54 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
Actually, it's the other way around. It uses the cell network when WiFi is not available. I'm on Rogers and my Pixel 2 has WiFi calling. I finally get a reliable connection in my home. Once you have WiFi calling set up, it should work anywhere, whether there's a cell signal available or not.
When you are in an aera where Wi-Fi and Cellular exists obviously the phone will want to home in on the wi-fi calling feature to offload some resources from the cellular network, but yes the initial design was to use Wi-Fi to make a call "where cellphone coverage is low or does not exist" when you are within the original footprint. they don't care if you are on the wi-fi network when you are in the cellular coverage but obviously it helps offload resources from the cell network so they enjoy it. I have had this feature for a very long time I have even beta-tested it before it became a public feature so I am the go-to guy to ask how it works

post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 2018-02-12, 11:55 AM
Veteran

Does anyone else view this wifi phone implementation as a gigantic scam by wireless carriers? They make such a big deal about the cost of wireless resources but then charge full price while offloading calls to other peoples' wifi. What about roaming? Do they charge a roaming fee while using someone else's wifi in another area? Roaming is a scam to begin with but that could make it outright fraud since the out of area call is being carried on wired networks they may not even own or maintain.

Voip.ms puts the cost of wired VoIP under one cent per minute for metered calls anywhere in NA. Wireless carriers can charge over $1 per minute for metered calls over the same infrastructure using wifi. I'm surprised they aren't rolling this out more aggressively.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in