Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

MTS will launch HSPA+ network March 31 to 97% of Manitobans

29K views 49 replies 14 participants last post by  Dr.Dave 
#1 ·
March 31 is the official launch date of its new HSPA+ (High Speed Packet Access) wireless network that will deliver cellular voice and high-speed wireless data coverage of up to 21 Mbps to 97 per cent of Manitobans.

MTS is investing more than $100 million in the new HSPA+ network to provide MTS customers in urban centers and rural areas throughout Manitoba with faster download speeds, access to an exciting new lineup of smartphones and handsets, and extensive international roaming on compatible GSM and HSPA networks.
Also coming soon to MTS wireless customers across the province is the opportunity to sign-up for new, exclusive MTS bundled service offerings that no other service provider in Manitoba can match.
Outside of Manitoba, MTS HSPA+ customers will be able to roam in more than 200 countries around the world.

MTS will also continue to sell and support an exciting lineup of its CDMA based handsets and operate its current CDMA wireless network in Manitoba to support existing MTS customers and carry other wireless roaming traffic.
www.mts.ca/hspa for more information and coverage map.

According to other press releases, MTS have a mutual roaming agreement with Rogers. I don't know if Telus or Bell will have roaming on MTS' HSPA+ network.

#2 ·
Some interesting points from the MTS support site

Will I be able to use an HSPA device from another carrier on the new HSPA+ network?
Any unlocked devices (i.e. devices that are not tied to a specific carrier) will work with MTS SIM cards (on the MTS HSPA+ network). However, carriers such as Rogers, Bell and Telus lock their devices to work with only their SIM cards and these devices will not work with a MTS SIM card. Similarly, MTS intends to lock our devices to our SIM cards. Hence our devices will not be usable on another carrier's network.

Please note that any unlocked device must support HSPA North American Frequencies (850Mhz), older GSM devices will not function on our new HSPA network A customer can find out if their device is HSPA compliant by reviewing the phone's settings.

If a customer's HSPA device breaks will they be able to activate an older CDMA device?
If a customer's HSPA phone broke and they didn't want to pay for a repair we would allow them to ride out and fulfill their contract on a CDMA phone.

Will MTS be offering Prepaid on the HSPA+ network?
At launch, Prepaid will only be offered on our CDMA network. HSPA+ Prepaid will be introduced at a later date.

What do I need to know about coverage?
When it comes to coverage, you need to know the following:
  • HSPA+ will not have as good of coverage as the existing CDMA network in the U.S.
  • HSPA+ will have better coverage when travelling outside of North America (6X the countries covered by CDMA (EvDO))
  • HSPA+ is being built according to the existing Manitoba MTS 1x network, which will mean that the new network will cover 97% of the Manitoba population. Our existing high speed data network (EvDO) only covers 72% of the population
  • HSPA+ will provide improved coverage over CDMA in Morris, La Salle, Beausejour, Niverville, and Teulon.
  • HSPA+ will not be available in Bissett, Churchill, Middlebro, Split Lake, Oxford House, Snow Lake, Ebb & Flow, Fisher River / Koostatak, Long Spruce, Radisson, Henday, and Wuskwatim.

#3 ·
About time, now I can get 3G speeds outside of Winnipeg :)

I also heard that Rogers will also use the new network. Will MTS be able to use the Rogers 3G network outside of Manitoba without paying roaming fees? Hopefully MTS's Unlimited data plan can be use on the Rogers network throughout Canada.

#7 ·
MTS/Rogers agreement

Here is what MTS said about the Rogers agreement in one of their quarterly reports:
On July 28, 2009, we made a significant announcement regarding our wireless strategy going forward for both divisions of the company. We entered into a strategic wireless arrangement with Rogers Wireless Partnership ("Rogers Wireless") that will see both companies share the cost to deploy a universal mobile telecommunications systems/high-speed packet access ("HSPA") wireless network across the existing Manitoba wireless footprint. The agreement also allows us to leverage Rogers Wireless's purchasing scope and scale to gain cost effective access to the new network technology and leading-edge HSPA handsets. Our customers will have access to the best national and international roaming capabilities as a Rogers Wireless roaming partner, and both companies will share roaming revenues from the HSPA network in Manitoba.

#8 ·
MTS to launch iPhone 4

WINNIPEG, MB, February 10, 2011 - MTS will launch iPhone 4 in Canada in the coming months. iPhone 4 is the most innovative phone in the world, featuring Apple's stunning Retina display, the highest resolution display ever built into a phone and FaceTime, which makes video calling a reality.
I expected that this would happen once HSPA+ was announced - now it's official.

#9 ·
Some info from Rogers' RedBoard. Looks like they are sharing infrastructure to me.

Get ready Manitoba! Rogers to launch province wide network March 31

By: RogersMiranda
February 2nd, 2011 at 4:46pm

The countdown is on for more Manitobans to get their hands on the latest smartphones including Android, iPhone, BlackBerry and tablets for the first time on Rogers world class 3G+ network. Starting March 31, we’ll be launching our reliable network bringing 96 percent of Manitobans access to a new province-wide high speed voice and data network.

In several areas, for the first time, Manitobans will be able to own and use the latest smartphones, tablets and mobile broadband devices and experience mobile Internet service at download speeds of up to 21 Mbps.

While we already offer service in Winnipeg and southern Manitoba, this expansion allows us to upgrade our existing coverage area to high speed HSPA+/3G+. It also allows us to expand into new areas like Thompson, The Pas, Flin Flon and more.

To check out a future network coverage map of Manitoba, go here.

If you live in Manitoba, what smartphone are you interested in getting?

#15 ·
I don't think it has anything to do with incumbency. It's probably about marketing - 4G sounds better than HSPA+. All the wireless carriers will be calling their networks 4G eventually, even if the technical definition is a little murky. Plus I'm sure MTS wants everyone to know their network is just as advanced as the competition.

BTW I tried mts.ca/4g and it works.

#17 ·
#22 ·
Went to connect store the other day, ready to get a smartphone and new plan but just shook my head at the garbage 4g handsets.

Why roll our a new network at all if this is the best you can do? 2 older blackberrys and a terrible new one (the Torch is horrid and Torch 2 already on the horizon). Was hoping to see some Android there...would love a Nexus S. Judging from the response of the guy at the store he's hearing this kind of complaint alot.

#24 ·
I'm not complaining about that per se...more that you go in and are bombarded with WE HAVE 4G !!!!!, then you ask to see the 4 G phones. I was underwhelmed. I'd like to stay with MTS, have been with their wireless for 10 years but it's getting harder to do when you see the selection of phones across the street with other providers.

The Torch I just used as en example, it's not a very good phone, for a number of reasons, being dreadfully slow is one of them.

#26 ·
Am trying a Rogers MC950D USB stick in the Morris area. Not getting very good bandwidth, maybe 7Kb/s. I was hoping to replace the MTS dialup account but it seems to be faster than this. Rogers says this USB modem is capable of 7.2Mb/s and certainly not getting that here. Signal is about half way up on the gui scale and Rogers tower is about 2 miles away. Maybe I am too far from the tower?
MTS only has dial up here.
-C.

#27 ·
MTS has the Novatel Wireless Ovation MC998D (4G HSPA+). Here area some specs related to reception.

• Data speeds of up to 21 Mbps Download and 5.76 Mbps Upload
  • MobiLink™ 3 Connection Manager software for Windows and Mac
  • 2 x 2 MIMO (multiple input multiple output)- to enable maximization of data throughput and operating range.
  • Receiver Equalization - improves performance in noisy & highly mobile environments
  • Receiver Diversity - improves performance at cell edges and in buildings
It might be worth trying provided that you can return it and cancel the plan with no penalty if the throughput isn't acceptable. Be sure you follow whatever limits are specified in terms of days of use or data transfer if you plan to cancel.

#28 ·
Dr Dave,
I asked at the local MTS store and they didn't have anything available. I took that to mean they don't offer high speed wireless. I know anyone with Iphones or blackberrys are not getting g3 or g4 service here either. I still have a dialup account maybe next time I am in the city I can pick something up to try.

I am starting to think I will have to take out an MTS DSL account in the nearest town (Morris) and WIFI it out to my location (about 5 miles or so). Would likely require two grid antennas and transceivers... Ubiquity makes some products that might work... Seems way too much trouble for internet service.

Another option is 2-way satellite but it seems to be even more trouble and very expensive... I see packages starting at $90/mo and install fees in the $2000 range!

You urban dwellers are very fortunate to have multiple providers in various modes delivering cheap and high bandwidth service. Out here in rural Manitoba we are still in the (internet) dark ages!

-C.

#29 ·
@Cham, according to the MTS info that I posted in post 2:
HSPA+ will provide improved coverage over CDMA in Morris, La Salle, Beausejour, Niverville, and Teulon.
All of the info about Morris and the MC998D is from the MTS web site. If I was in your situation, I would follow up with the Morris MTS store and ask for the specific device advertised on their web site. They should be able to order it if they don't have it in stock in Morris . You may ask to deal with someone more senior at the store, since some of the staff would just be trained in the standard offerings. You may still prefer to deal with a Winnipeg store if it's not too inconvenient since you are more likely to find someone that is familiar with the product.

Just be sure you can cancel if the product doesn't perform adequately at your location. Also be aware the the 21 Mbps download speed is a theoretical maximum and won't be achieved in real-world use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.