Bell Aliant upload speeds are bad - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By BlackKnight

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 2017-11-18, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Question Bell Aliant upload speeds are bad

Anyone else having issues with horrendous upload speed when trying to upload pretty much anywhere outside of a another BA connection? Speed tests show a great upload of 50 Mb/s from F'ton, NB to St John (for example), but going to any other ISP, like Rogers in Moncton, or Pioneer wireless in Presque Isle, drops the upload speeds down to 10-15 Mb/s. It never used to be that slow to even places farther away, like Florida or wherever. It would usually hit somewhere in the 30-50 Mb/s range. Now, nothing over 20 for any given test or upload.

I get nearly my full download speeds, but not the uploads. I'm using that new Home Hub 3000 router also. Just want to know if anyone else on BA can confirm this for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 2017-11-19, 10:11 AM

Have you tried rebooting your router? My speeds are good here in NS. I ran a speedtest to Bangor and got 90+ twice. London (Vodaphone) gave me 70+ (three tests)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 2017-11-19, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

I rebooted to no effect. I cycled the power to no effect. I'm getting 85/15 to that Bangor server, in 3 different browsers. 310/110 to St John (on the BA network) So, it looks like I need to contact them. Bell better not be throttling me...

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 2017-11-19, 09:33 PM

They wouldn't throttle upload. It would be a stupid stupid thing to throttle. Their ratio is download heavy, so they have plenty of free upload capacity.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 2017-11-20, 08:30 AM

It is also VERY dependent on the speed of the server that you're connecting to. When FibreOP first came out (MANY years ago), the tech and I had a good chat since I identified myself as a tech myself. He told me flat out to "be careful" where you're connecting to using Speedtest.net because a lot of the servers are fine for a lot of users to test to, but most can't handle the high speeds of a fibre connection.

Now this was about 8 years ago IIRC (longer, maybe??) and yes BA was about the first to offer fibre to the home at that time. I imagine that most of the servers can handle much higher speeds, but it's still dependent on where you connect to. I've also read that if you're not on a particular network (specifically in the US), the US server will throttle the Speedtest result because "really, we don't want you dragging down our network".

In order to have a good consensus, we would need to test the connection to the same server at the same time. You will most likely get higher speed tests at, say, 10pm than opposed to the middle of the day on a work day. Or early evening when everyone and their kids are online.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 2017-11-20, 10:29 AM
Veteran

I was able to get 30 uploading to my FTP server, which I honestly doubt can handle more, last night. That's not to any kind of speedtest, so if they were throttling it should have been impacted.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 2017-11-21, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Appreciate the replies.

I understand that different servers will have different speeds due to the routing and whatnot. I remember years ago when a really bad node between the Maritimes and our access to the US hampered our speeds here. It was years before they finally fixed it... (I forget the name of the servers that were the issue) And I understand about some servers not handling the Fiber connections. I always try to test other Fiber ones.

Anyways, I've always gotten decent uploads before now. Often around 30-40 to places that had the bandwidth, including speedtest. Steam, for example, always gave me max speeds in downloads and uploads. I find this 100-150/10-15 that I'm getting lately a bit off. If it gets worse I'll have to make a tech call.

Just was checking to see if anyone else had this issue - glad it's just me I suppose
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 2017-11-21, 02:48 PM

@BlackKnight - bellnexxia servers I believe are what you are referring to. I remember very well the horrendous pings and packet loss.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 2017-11-21, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

@khx73 oh gosh yes! Those were ones! I had completely put the name of them into the dark recesses of my mind...
khx73 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.