Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Can't keep OpenDns

5K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  High_Sierra 
#1 ·
Hi,

This is my first post on this forum. I've done searches and haven't found an answer to my issue.

Here goes.

I been able to change the router settings on my R1000H to the OpenDNS servers and this works.

However if I reboot the router it reverts back to the BellAliant settings for DNS.

Is this expected behavior or is there some way to make the DNS stick.

Thanks

#3 ·
I've tried both way and it still reverts back.

4. Set the DNS values.
DNS Server 1:
DNS relay performed by Gateway (Default)
Primary DNS from WAN Connection
Statically Assigned 192.168.2.1

DNS Server 2:
DNS relay performed by Gateway
Secondary DNS from WAN Connection (Default)
Statically Assigned

#4 ·
I just tried this on a spare R1000H I have here. I set two statically assigned DNS servers in the 'LAN IP and DHCP Settings' section. Rebooted three times, and they stayed just fine.

So, something odd going on with your set up, I'd say. I have firmware 33.120L.06 on this one...

#7 ·
I've had this issue with the R1000H before too. The problem is that it is not writing the settings to the internal Config file, so as soon as you restart the router, all changes are lost. Maybe the file gets corrupted, I don't know.

The only way I found to solve this is to reset the router to factory settings (which probably deletes the Config file) and then re-setup your router with your changes (Login, WiFi, Port Forwarding and DNS).

jB

#12 ·
I have lost faith in their tech support. It used to be top tier, but now it seems to have sunk to Bell Canada's usual crappy standards. I called two weeks ago about my upload speeds. I am paying for the 300/100 service but my uploads were maxing out at 10.03 (exactly). I called and what did the guy ask me? "What are you trying to upload?" Ummm... wat?

#13 ·
@High_Sierra - Haha! Working as designed. That's useless front line support speak for 'I dunno what ur talking about..I just wanna close this call'. Frustrating!
@can3gxw - to which your obvious answer should have been 'pron, of course' ;) 10.03 huh? Some kind of driver screw-up or something negotiated a 10 Mbps link somewhere? Would have seen that on the download too I'd think. Did you get it solved?

#14 ·
@khx73 - yea, all sorted out. I don't "upload" much of that... :angel My d/l speed was still hovering a point or so around the 320 mark. Finally got a tech to come out, he powered down (removed battery) and rebooted the modem and then my speeds were back to normal - 320/115. We got a call from customer service giving us two free months of SuperChannels, so the tech figured that when they did that they screwed up my profile and knocked me back to a 10 up. I guess somewhere in the two times I called them before the tech arrived they fixed my profile. Had they called me to confirm, I could have done the reboot and saved a tech visit. All good though, since it was a nice day and we had a good chat about the crummy phone support now. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.