HH3000 - trying to increase speeds - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 2017-04-18, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

HH3000 - trying to increase speeds

Hi everyone

First of all - newbie here, but wanted to say thanks for anyone who can provide some help or info.

So, at my previous residence, I had the HH3000 and it was fantastic, as I could directly hardwire my Bell PVR and android box directly into the HH3000. We recently moved to a new residence, and we had our services moved as well. In our current setup, the HH3000 is currently setup in the babie's room, as it's the closest point of entry from the pole. We have the 300/100 package (bundle) and I can log in to the modem and consistently see speeds of 300-320 on the HH.

I guess the problems I'm seeing now is poor WiFi speeds. The TV/Android box are maybe 10 feet away in the living room, but there's times I'm only getting between 10-20's for speed (and that's on the 5 ghz line as I split out the wifi to both 2.4 and 5 in the modem settings.)

I purchased a powerline adapter, hoping that would help. It's been "ok" - I can get between 30-35's for speed (I was hoping for more). And I also have a TV and bell box downstairs, and I notice the connection is not 100% stable, ans the picture sometimes "flicks" and I notice the signal strength drops on the Bell Fibeop that's connected to the TV

So, I'm kinda at a loss. I know the HH3000 supposed to be great, but I feel like I should be able to increase the speeds for my house without the need of Powerline adapters. Am I missing something on how to increase the potential of the HH3000 and perform better?

I even thought about getting an external router to see if that helps, but I'm not sure if it's even possible with the HH3000. Plus I don't know how that would affect my TV signal.

Thank you for any feedback or assistance

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 2017-04-18, 10:14 AM
Veteran

Might want to grab a Wifi analyzer app for some device you have and see what kind of signal you're getting and how many other networks you're picking up. I managed to quadruple my wifi speed simply by finding an unoccupied channel. Also check what band you're on, as 5GHz doesn't handle walls very well. With the box in the baby's room it may simply be going through too many obstacles. An analyzer will be able to show you the signal strength as well, to help figure that out. I use a Windows 10 store one, but I'm sure there's some for Andorid and such as well.

If that's the case, a second router in a more central location hooked up to the HH via Ethernet would help, simply by giving the signal better proximity.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 2017-04-18, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the reply.

For a WiFi analyzer, would that be something like the Ookla speed test, or something different? I was wondering how to determine the channels and how to switch them if necessary

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 2017-04-18, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squires22 View Post
And I also have a TV and bell box downstairs, and I notice the connection is not 100% stable, ans the picture sometimes "flicks" and I notice the signal strength drops on the Bell Fibeop that's connected to the TV
I would call Bell to fix that problem - it's their responsibility. It's pretty difficult to run the Bell PVR through a third-party router.

A Wi-Fi analyzer app that you can load on a portable device lets you see which Wi-Fi bands are in use and their signal strength. I used one on my Android tablet just to play with, since I don't have any signal problems.

You may be getting interference from your neighbours and choosing a different band can help.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 2017-04-18, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

I agree - I'm been thinking about contacting Bell about the issue with the dropped connection in my downstairs TV location
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 2017-04-18, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Another point, and maybe this is to be expected, when I log into the Modem settings for the HH3000 on my laptop, it lists the devices that are connected either thru WiFi or Ethernet. Although the powerline adapter is connected to the modem, it's not listed as a connecting device.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 2017-04-18, 02:06 PM
Veteran

As Dr Dave said, Wifi Analyzers are apps that look at all the wifi networks surrounding you to show you how many there are, what channels they're using, and signal strengths of all of them. If you're on the same channel as some conflicting ones, especially on the 2.4 band, that will kill performance no matter where your router is. I use a Windows 10 one that's literally called "Wifi Analyzer" (you can search for it in the store, it's free). There's lots of them for Android too. Any device with wifi should be able to do it.

Fire up the app, go sit in the problematic part of the house, and take a look at what you get. If you have a low signal strength, that's due to the router having too many obstacles in the way or just pure distance. You may also have too many networks near you, or just one that is really active (people who Torrent on Wifi using a 2.4 channel basically destroy that channel's performance).

For TV issues, you'll basically have to call Bell and let them sort it out. But any other device on the Internet you can do it yourself. The app will just help you figure out what you need to do.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 2017-04-18, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Tridus - I'll take a look at that tonight when I get home. I appreicate the info, and I'll update the thread after some testing.

Is it best to test on the phone/android box or use a laptop?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 2017-04-18, 02:29 PM
Veteran

I don't think it matters a ton. I use a laptop simply because the big screen makes it easier to view results. Actual data shouldn't differ too much unless one device supports the 5GHz band and the other doesn't.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 2017-04-18, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squires22 View Post

So, at my previous residence, I had the HH3000 and it was fantastic, as I could directly hardwire my Bell PVR and android box directly into the HH3000. We recently moved to a new residence,
If you want to replicate your old set up and hardwire INSIDE your new home you might want to consider WireCare. It's $5 a month, and then once all your work is done a $35 fee to cancel early. It would be cheaper than a call out fee probably.

Bell Aliant For Your Home - Phone Services
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 2017-04-18, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Never heard of WireCare before - I'll check it out

Last edited by 57; 2017-04-18 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Unnecessary Quote Removed.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 2017-04-20, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Hi guys

So, I installed WiFi Analyzer, and checked it out. It recommended moving both my 2.4 and 5 lines to different channels. Is that easy to do, by logging into the HH3000? Will that have any affect on the connection with the router to my existing TV boxes?
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 2017-04-20, 01:09 PM
Veteran

If you just change the channel and don't change things like passwords, connected devices will drop and then reconnect on the new channel.

I don't have a HH, but it should be in there somewhere under wifi settings or advanced settings. Bell's website is predictably not helpful on this point.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 2017-04-21, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Hi guys - well, Bell's online help outside of the HH3000 page was useless for sure. The only good info I located was using the Help function, when directly logged into the modem settings.

So, within the modem help, here's a list of the info provided:

Channel
Like radio stations, your modem broadcasts its signal on various channels. When too many devices are broadcasting on the same channel, it can cause interference and affect performance.
We recommend you keep the default Auto setting. The number in brackets indicates the auto-selected channel.
Setting the channel to the auto mode allows the modem to automatically select the best available channel. When it detects too much interference with the selected channel it will move to another one (called channel hopping).
You can also manually change the channels to see if your Wi-Fi performance and speed improves.

For 2.4 GHZ Band:
We recommend using channel 1, 6 and 11, with preference for channel 6. This will allow maximum wireless interoperability if other Wi-Fi networks are around.
Note: Changing the channel manually may be a temporary solution until the channel you have selected becomes congested and will need to be changed again. Therefore, the auto mode is normally the best option.

For 5.0 GHZ Band:
Similar to 2.4, you can manually set a channel when experiencing poor Wi-Fi connection. However, it is recommended to keep it set to the auto mode.
You may also try selecting higher channels in priority as they are allowed a higher transmit power and it may improve your Wi-Fi performance.

Interface Type
Select one of the available 802.11 standards.
Auto (recommended/default): Lets the modem choose which wireless standard is right for the device that is connecting to your network.
You can also connect to a specific interface type.

2.4 GHz:
Wireless 802.11 n (most recent standard)
Wireless 802.11 g
Wireless 802.11 b

5.0 GHz:
Wireless 802.11 ac (most recent standard)
Wireless 802.11 a

Note: If you select anything other than Auto, you may get slower connections speeds and even lose your connection

For my 2 WiFi connections, the options available to me:

2.4:

interface = auto, B, G, N
channel = auto, 1-11

interface = auto, A, N, AC
channel = auto, 36, 40, 44, 48
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 2017-04-21, 04:01 PM
Veteran

Well there you go. Take the info from the analyzer and flip to those channels to see how it goes. If it has a charting display, you can also switch to that to see the other networks around you.

"Auto" sometimes works, but in my experience on lots of devices it only does anything when the device boots up, so it can sometimes make wrong decisions. I've had better success tweaking it manually.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.