GPON SFP Stick - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 2017-02-23, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

GPON SFP Stick

For anyone who may not be aware the Home Hub 3000 doesn't have GPON support built in. Bell Aliant provisions a GPON SFP stick on your service and it is inserted into the Home Hub. Since SFP is a standard interface you can take it out of the Home Hub and use it in other equipment. I myself am now using a Ubiquiti Edgerouter ER-X SFP. Just had to add VLAN 35 like normal and all is well. If you strictly have internet then it's easy. If you have TV then you'd need to configure things appropriately. If you have phone it's a no-go as the Home Hub acts as VoIP adapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 2017-03-03, 07:05 PM
Rookie

I'm assuming you have to dismantle the HH3K to get the SFP stick out? Is it very difficult to do?

Is it screwed/snapped in, or does it just slide out?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 2017-03-04, 05:59 PM

No disassembly required, there's a spot for it in the rear on the right side where it goes. Bell is using something like this: https://www.metanoia-comm.com/admin/...id=119&upid=73 in Ontario for Fibe customers with FTTN then VDSL to the home.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 2017-03-04, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

It technically pulls out, but you have to take the fiber out of it first.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 2017-03-07, 03:10 PM

Whats the speeds like on the unit? Can you use a Copper Port as a WAN port vs using the SFP?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 2017-03-07, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

I max out around 930Mbps pulling through it, and you can use an ethernet port for WAN if you want.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 2017-03-07, 06:54 PM

I was going to replace my my aging asus router , I still have the old syte ONT so wanted to make sure I could future proof it..

Thanks,
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 2017-03-08, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

The ports become what you want them to be. You can put them all together as a switch (including SFP port), take 1 out and use it for WAN, etc.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 2017-03-08, 11:21 PM
Rookie

So if I understand correctly - the SFP stick itself (along with your timeslot etc) is what is provisioned to your account, and you can move that SFP stick to any vlan capable router (with vlan 34/35 configured correctly) with an SFP stick slot...very good to know
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 2017-03-09, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Yup! Exactly right.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 2017-03-17, 08:22 AM
Rookie

@file

Do you know if the Ubiquiti Edgerouter ER-X SFP is capable of using the entire ~1.25gbps that is available on gigabit Fibe, as long as it is split across more than 1 gigabit ethernet port on the unit, much like the HH3K can do? Ever since your initial post, I've been looking into getting that router, and it looks like a very capable router for a pretty good price!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 2017-03-18, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

I don't know. It may not be, but I'm happy to give up some to have a network I fully control. It just keeps on going happily.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 2017-09-21, 09:58 AM
Rookie

Do you know if I absolutely need the Home Hub 3000 in order to be able to do this? I currently have the Actiontec R1000H (not actually using it - using a Netgear R7000 on VLAN35) with the Alcatel-Lucient white ONT. Any idea if the SFP port can be removed from the ONT and put into the Edgerouter SFP, or if there is any way to provision the SFP port on the ERX SFP without having to get the HH3000? I don't want to have to pay for the HH3000 at this point. Is it possible that if I complain that I have bad Wifi coverage or bad Wifi speeds (because it's the R1000) that they'd upgrade me for free?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 2017-09-21, 10:46 AM

No, the ONTs do not have a SFP module that can be removed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.