Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Advanced DMZ problems

4K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Nimec 
#1 ·
So I picked up a new router to use instead of the Actiontec R1000H and I wanted to try the Advanced DMZ setup to the new router. The odd thing is, when I setup the Advanced DMZ to point to the new router everything seems to work fine and the Internet works great from the new router until it doesn't. I can't reliably run a speedtest as it almost always times out and general web browsing seems to cut in and out with lots of lag spikes. If i turn OFF Advanced DMZ and just connect the Actiontec right to the new router's WAN port (like a good old fashioned modem) everything works GREAT. this is unexpected behaviour. Anyone experienced this? I don't really like the idea of having a router behind a router and would prefer to have DMZ configured.

#5 ·
If i turn OFF Advanced DMZ and just connect the Actiontec right to the new router's WAN port (like a good old fashioned modem) everything works GREAT
Since you mentioned the connection, you want the Actiontec connected to the new router's WAN port (like a good old fashioned modem) even with Advanced DMZ on. It sounds like you may not have been doing that.

To use Advanced DMZ, the other router should have it's WAN port connected to the Actiontec, and be told to get it's connection information from DHCP. That's the exact setup I use and it's worked flawlessly for a year.

#6 ·
Yeah that is exactly how i had it setup, with the network cable running from the Actiontec to the WAN port on the r7000. I'm going to give it another try tonight but before i do i think i'll factory reset the r7000. I didn't do that after the firmware update and I read a few forums that said it can help with certain issues.

#7 ·
quick update. I had Advanced DMZ running fine for about a day until my kids started complaining of disconnects in games and youtube crapping out. I'm probably going to just ask Bell for a new modem as this one has other issues that crop up every now and then (ie. reverting to previous settings on reboot etc...)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.