Netgear R7000 Setup Guide - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 126 (permalink) Old 2015-04-14, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Netgear R7000 Setup Guide

Have gotten quite a few PMs asking for instructions on how to get the Netgear R7000 router going with BellAliant FibreOp so I figured I'd just post them here for everybody who needs them:

Out of the box the router won't work because the outdated firmware that it arrives with doesn't support VLANs, so before you disconnect your current router, download the latest R7000 firmware from Netgear (I'm using Firmware Version 1.0.4.18.)

Firmware: http://support.netgear.com/product/r7000

Also before you disconnect your current router, log into the Actiontec and make note of the MAC address. You'll need this for later.

Once you have the latest firmware downloaded to your computer and have noted your Actiontec MAC address, you can log into the Actiontec and click on the "Release" button to release the IP address. Then unplug it before it has a chance to renew.

Once this is done, connect the R7000 and upgrade the firmware.

On the R7000, go to 192.168.1.1, log in and go to Advanced>Administration>Router Update, and click the "Browse" button to select the firmware update you downloaded from your computer. Click "Upload" - the router will take a few minutes and upgrade.

Once it's flashed and back up and running, log back into the router at 192.168.1.1, and go to Basic>Internet, and scroll down to the bottom. You'll see "Router MAC Address". This is where we're going to clone the MAC address of our Actiontec so that it syncs with BellAliant seamlessly. Select the "Use this MAC address" button, and input what you noted earlier from your Actiontec router. Apply.

Then go to Advanced>Advanced Setup>VLAN / Bridge Settings

Here you'll configure your VLANs - first we're going to set up any ports that you wish to be standard internet (computers, etc.)

Select the button next to the "Internet" row, and click edit. Make it look like this:

Click apply.

Now if you have TV service, click "Add".

Make it look like this:

You'll notice at the bottom, there are boxes that say "Port 1", "Port 2", etc. These are the ports that you are going to plug your TVs into. On your "TV" VLAN, you'll want to check off the ports that you want TV service going to. On your "Internet" VLAN, check off any ports you want Internet going to, as well as both wifi bands.

Here's how I have mine configured - you'll see that I've selected port 1 (plus both wifi bands) for Internet access, and have plugged in my TVs to ports 2, 3, and 4.

Click apply, reboot, tada. Everything connected should connect right up.
reets likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 126 (permalink) Old 2015-04-14, 01:49 PM
Rookie

very good guide man. Does Bell Aliant wireless TV receivers work with this setup??
post #3 of 126 (permalink) Old 2015-04-14, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

I don't have any wireless STBs but I can't see why not - as far as I know the VAP behaves like any other TV once it's connected.

post #4 of 126 (permalink) Old 2015-04-14, 06:27 PM

Please note: i have sticky this thread so it doesn't get lost under piles of other threads. Any posts that has nothing to do with the Netgear R7000 will simply be deleted with no questions asked.

Thanks Awjvail for the guide.

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #5 of 126 (permalink) Old 2015-04-15, 12:28 AM
Rookie

I am going to be going to my friends place to test the wireless TV boxes with this. So ill let you guys know if it works.
post #6 of 126 (permalink) Old 2015-04-15, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

oh woohoo a sticky

now this feels important
post #7 of 126 (permalink) Old 2015-04-15, 07:51 AM

I can confirm this setup by Awjvail works wonderfully, I have 5 STBs ( 4 + Pvr) all working flawlessly. WiFi is fantastic all over the house (aprox 2400 sq ft) Once again this forum has proven to be a source of enlightened information thanks to all the helpful people on here!
post #8 of 126 (permalink) Old 2015-04-15, 04:35 PM

Can you confirm if the FibreOp app will find your pvrs through the Netgear? I actually use the app to record shows when I know I'll miss something.

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #9 of 126 (permalink) Old 2015-04-15, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Nah the remote app is the only thing I couldn't get working on the Netgear. I don't think it works with any 3rd party router - BA works some sort of witchcraft on their equipment to have the TV network be remotely accessible on the regular network.
post #10 of 126 (permalink) Old 2015-04-16, 06:35 AM
Rookie

@Awjvail, thanks for the setup guide. I think I might just go pick up a R7000. Before I do I was hoping you could answer/confirm something. Does your setup work with the current bell setup (DRIPE I believe it is called)?

I've been using an ASUS RT-N56U for several years now and am still on their old system. The STBs are on a 10.x.x.x network.

I've been having issues with the whole home PVR lately. I know before I get Bell involved I'm going to need to revert my setup back to the actiontec, which from what I understand will make it hard to go back to the ASUS solution I had.

What I' planning to do is dig out the old actiontec and put it back into the mix, let it and the STB's do any updates they need to do to get on the latest setup, then follow your guide to get rid of the actiontec again.

Thanks
Steve
post #11 of 126 (permalink) Old 2015-04-16, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

everything seems to work fine on my end. All STBs are on a 10.210.x.x network.

I was even able to deauthorize all my old PVR/STBs and install & authorize a new PVR + 3 new wireless STBs, all while on the R7000.

I know on my previous setup (gigabit switch going from the ONT and splitting to the Actiontec for TV + Asus RT-AC66U for internet), the STBs wouldn't receive updates or download firmware for recovery. Also none of the web apps worked. Everything seems to work well on the R7000.
post #12 of 126 (permalink) Old 2015-04-16, 04:22 PM

Too bad for the web app outside the home. I will miss it.

post #13 of 126 (permalink) Old 2015-04-16, 10:24 PM

@Danster

If your receivers are already linked to your app, you should be able to use it remotely. The only thing that won't work is the local remote control function.
post #14 of 126 (permalink) Old 2015-04-18, 07:39 AM

Well I made the switch. For a few moments, I would lose TV and have to go up or down to get it back. Now awaiting to see if it will do it again.

As for the app to access the pvrs from outside, we'll it does work.

post #15 of 126 (permalink) Old 2015-04-19, 09:52 AM

fyi, router is on sale at Staples:

http://share.flipp.com/flipp/items/66615989/share

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.