Netgear R7000 Setup Guide - Page 8 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #106 of 122 (permalink) Old 2016-10-28, 08:37 AM

The Bell backend should not provide DHCP to non-STB devices as it specifically looks at the OUI portion of the MAC, and responds only if it recognizes the Motorola/Arris hardware.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 122 (permalink) Old 2016-10-28, 01:36 PM

AtlanticRebel: I also find the idea a bit of a stretch, but there I was .. wired devices working on a vlan 34, pri 4 mapped port - and not showing up on the router table. Not sure how they were working. I've changed my setup.

Here is my new network map:

NetworkMap ? Postimage.org

Basically the R3000 is back for now, DHCP on, wireless off.
The R7000 is downstream.
I put the VAP2400 into the mix, connected to a port on the R3000.

The R7000 also has DHCP turned on. This may not be necessary, but at this moment everything is working, I have the IP's reserved that I needed to, and things seem stable after 12 hours.
post #108 of 122 (permalink) Old 2016-11-05, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Just thought I'd give a quick update to say that this setup is still working flawlessly for me and I haven't had to touch it at all. I have only the ONT and the R7000 in the mix - no BA provided router in sight.

TV is working perfectly, including the wireless VAP.
Craigwell likes this.
post #109 of 122 (permalink) Old 2016-12-11, 10:18 AM

Hi all I tried swapping out my Actiontec for my Netgear but ran into 2 issues.

1. Since you either have to set TV or INTERNET per lan port I couldn't get channel 556 Netflix to work?

2. I run powerline adapters and one runs to the PVR so I couldn't get internet to my desktop since it was set to TV.

Are there any ways around these 2 issues? Went back to the Actiontec and it can obviously output both TV and INTERNET per lan port.
post #110 of 122 (permalink) Old 2016-12-15, 09:31 AM

Exclamation

Anybody using the newest firmware (1.0.7.6 beta) for the R7000? There is a major security issue with these routers and users have been advised to stop using them. I am at work so I will attempt to use the new firmware later this evening. Stop using Netgear routers with unpatched security bug, experts warn | Ars Technica
https://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/582384

Updated to latest fw and no ill effects. whew!

Last edited by chr67; 2016-12-15 at 07:17 PM. Reason: update fw version & CERT link
post #111 of 122 (permalink) Old 2016-12-16, 07:10 PM

I don't know if I want to update the firmware since the last fiasco I had to go through last time. If it's only dangerous if you click on malicious links, most surfing I do is on know safe web sites. I'll wait after Christmas season is over as my Light Display runs through the router and I can't afford to have booboos right now.

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #112 of 122 (permalink) Old 2016-12-17, 11:03 AM

I hear ya Danster, I was very reluctant after your last experience but having others in the house no so adept to watching what they click made me take the plunge. It was the first fw upgrade I did in a long time but it went off without a hitch, took about 2 mins and all was up and running and no need to reenter any of my previous settings. My other half always says my systems are like fort knox but meh u can never be too careful these days. Merry Christmas and hopefully after the holidays ur update goes well if you decide to follow through with it.
post #113 of 122 (permalink) Old 2016-12-17, 12:30 PM

I updated with the patch on my R8000, i-stuff kept losing wifi. Re-installed and it was fine. Just a heads up
post #114 of 122 (permalink) Old 2016-12-18, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danster View Post
I don't know if I want to update the firmware since the last fiasco I had to go through last time. If it's only dangerous if you click on malicious links, most surfing I do is on know safe web sites. I'll wait after Christmas season is over as my Light Display runs through the router and I can't afford to have booboos right now.
Except that the links can be easily disguised with things like URL shorteners to not look malicious, and they can get them onto "safe" websites by using the new exploit for hiding attack code inside images, where the ad networks can't easily spot it. This is actively being used to exploit Netgear (and other) routers right now: Home routers under attack in ongoing malvertisement blitz | Ars Technica
chr67 likes this.
post #115 of 122 (permalink) Old 2016-12-19, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

I've also updated to the latest firmware with no ill effects; internet, PVR, wired TVs, and all wireless TVs are still working just fine.
post #116 of 122 (permalink) Old 2016-12-19, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tridus View Post
Except that the links can be easily disguised with things like URL shorteners to not look malicious, and they can get them onto "safe" websites by using the new exploit for hiding attack code inside images, where the ad networks can't easily spot it. This is actively being used to exploit Netgear (and other) routers right now: Home routers under attack in ongoing malvertisement blitz | Ars Technica
But right now with the Christmas Display running, I don't even have time to surf the net, small urls or not!!!! LOL
Tridus likes this.

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #117 of 122 (permalink) Old 2016-12-19, 05:40 PM

I'll come do it for you. I'm moving back to Fredericton this week(on the oat Wednesday night), wife will actually be working in Lincoln.
post #118 of 122 (permalink) Old 2016-12-20, 11:13 AM

Yeah, probably smart to wait until after the light show is over for the year before screwing with the network equipment. If we get there and it's not working because I told you to do a router upgrade, my son will never forgive me.
post #119 of 122 (permalink) Old 2016-12-21, 10:14 PM

Yes sir! I will not upgrade until January 2nd!!! LOL!!!

post #120 of 122 (permalink) Old 2017-01-10, 01:28 AM
Rookie

I setup my router as per the OP - my TV is working ok but not all services are working. I'm able to watch TV, use the guide, and rewind, but I cannot restart a show or use on demand. Can anyone provide any insight?

I also have a "smart" switch that is VLAN capable. Would i just set TV ports to 34 and internet ports to 35 like I did with the router? Thats how i currently have it setup. (ONT -> R7000 -> switch)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.