So I took the time tonight with some beer and a full belly after supper and set this up. I figured I would give a step by step in the hopes it helps reduce confusion that can be caused. My setup is as follows:
→ ASUS RT-N56U
(NAT) → Actiontec
I set the ASUS and Actiontec up where I will be keeping them in a normal setup. I connected to the ASUS (username and password is admin/admin). I immediately flashed the firmware that file has so kindly created and maintained. To do this go to Advanced Settings
on the left and in the column Administration
, see Firmware Upgrade
. Browse to the TRX file and hit upload. Give it time and drink some beer (a very important step added by beercoaster).
Once the upload was done I went into Wireless
under Advanced Settings
and configured this so it's ready to go. I removed 5Ghz as I have no need for it currently and configured the 2.4Ghz. I went into Advanced Settings again and changed the password under the column Administration
you will see “System”
. Once this was good I went back to the Actiontec and hit “Release”
under Status and walked away. I had to put the kids to bed and get another beer (again thanks to beercoaster for this).
When I came back I took a second to disable DHCP and wireless as for the time being I intend to use the Actiontec as a HPNA controller. For wireless just click on that at the top and hit Disable. For DHCP this is under Advanced by LAN and DHCP Settings. I hit apply, waited for it to refresh and then disconnected from the Actiontec and hooked up to the ASUS. I took a second to run a ethernet line from LAN 4
on the ASUS to LAN 1
on the Actiontec (as per file's instructions and habskilla's tested setup). I went into the Advanced Settings
and selected “WAN”
. Down at the bottom I picked “Bell Aliant”
and popped in the MAC address of the Actiontec (it's on the bottom of the unit and in the status screen when you release the IP), I left the VPN section blank and hit apply.
After the ASUS came back from applying to changes I went to the Network Map and arrived in time to catch the Internet Status go from “Detecting” to “Connected”. File wasn't kidding when he said it happened almost instantly. When I went out from my server room to my “Man Cave” as it's been deemed. I found the TV to be showing A&E where I left it without issue. My upstairs TV I had to reset, it's simply a slave to the PVR I was watching. To do this just press and hold the power button until the box kicks off. Gave some time and back it came.
I have configured the ASUS now the way I like, all my ports forwarded, MAC filtering on, etc. I have to say I'm seeing a difference with the DSTB and response time for the better. I did notice which watching some TV while typing this that the show I was watching had brief moments of macroblocking along with some staggered audio shortly after the macroblocking settles. I cannot confirm yet if this is due to the Actiontec hosting the TV or simply the channel I am on. I will watch this and give some feed back later on.
File my man I owe you a beer or coffee or whatever you drink dude. This is a brilliant find and wonderful setup of firmware and service. Also add me to the list of people using your firmware. I hope this helps some people understand the process so they can take the leap. It's worth the coin in my eyes. Even if I end up with a TPA-311 to replace the Actiontec (assuming this macroblocking and audio issue isn't just the channel) I'm still all in.
One thing I have noticed though is the speed isn't much different. I cannot seem to get my upload on 30/30 to go beyond 6-9Mbps-ish outside of Bell. I Don't know how to fix this aside from ringing Bell up (which I think will do squat). Here's the results from speedtest.bellaliant.net:
30764 kbps (3845.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
15995 kbps (1999.4 KB/sec transfer rate)