Fibre OP coming to NL this summer - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 354 (permalink) Old 2011-06-22, 09:08 AM

That's was I posted above in post 4. A tech I asked about it told me it would be set up in CBS first (area's with no Bell Aliant TV at present) before in is set up in St. John's.

Last edited by nic78; 2011-06-22 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 354 (permalink) Old 2011-06-22, 02:29 PM

Live in CBS

Bell Fibre OP is available now in parts of Manuels (CBS) - they're going door to door will sales calls - just had their "pitch" and available immediately.
post #18 of 354 (permalink) Old 2011-07-01, 07:10 PM

Well, unless they throw a good deal at me in St. John's before December, I'll stick with my free Rogers PVR for now.. and then switch around Christmas/New Years. Absolutely cannot wait for 25/25Mbps net. Might even try to move my bell mobility over too for one bill.

Now.. we just need the rates they're getting in Europe (ie. 40 euros for like 100Mbps, tv and phone :S). Damn you lack of competition...
post #19 of 354 (permalink) Old 2011-07-14, 10:35 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffabby View Post
Bell Fibre OP is available now in parts of Manuels (CBS) - they're going door to door will sales calls - just had their "pitch" and available immediately.
Anyone know when they are planning to reach Kelligrews? I'm off of Legion Road.

EDIT: Also, if you are currently in a regular 2 year contract, can you opt out of that contract and sign-up for FibreOp?

Thanks!
post #20 of 354 (permalink) Old 2011-07-14, 12:39 PM

I asked a sales rep about this and he said yes, as it means you will be paying more money per month to Bell Aliant, and your previous one year bundle discount will end and you will be on the fibreOp special for only 3 months.

More money in Bell Aliant's pocket.
post #21 of 354 (permalink) Old 2011-07-27, 02:55 PM

Talking FibreOp in Mount Pearl

I just got off the phone with an Aliant rep who "checked her latest updates" and said that the tentative date to begin taking orders for FibreOp installs in Mount Pearl is August 3rd. Can't say how much faith I have in that, but I'm pretty stoked about it. She also confirmed what has been posted here already; existing contractual bundle customers will be able to switch to a FibreOp bundle without any extra hassle and still get the intro promo price for new customers ($99/mo for first three months).
post #22 of 354 (permalink) Old 2011-07-28, 08:26 AM

I had chatted online with Aliant Rep 3 days ago and she was unable to give me any details on when FibreOp would be available in Mount Pearl, I hope the Aug 3rd time frame is right! I noticed that Elizabeth park area in Paradise is getting the fibre installed on the lines up there so its close!
post #23 of 354 (permalink) Old 2011-08-01, 08:46 AM

Any word on St. John's area yet? I'm guessing we might have to wait until the fall.
post #24 of 354 (permalink) Old 2011-08-02, 07:50 PM

A installer I spoke with today said 6 months. They have it set up in a office in Paradise and he said the HD is significantly improved.

Regardless all Bell Aliant TV users will be getting Mediaroom 2.0 this fall wether they are on fibreOp or copper.

I didn't realize that they would need to run cat 5/6 cables to all receivers either, big draw back having a bunch cable strung along the outside of your house.
post #25 of 354 (permalink) Old 2011-08-02, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nic78 View Post
I didn't realize that they would need to run cat 5/6 cables to all receivers either, big draw back having a bunch cable strung along the outside of your house.
They don't. They can use existing RG-6 runs provided the cables are good. I'm told they can even use the older RG-59 cables.
post #26 of 354 (permalink) Old 2011-08-03, 09:23 AM

The installer told me that copper could not hold the bandwidth, and all fibreOp installs would require cat5/6 cable.

Do you have fibreOp running over copper (cat3) in your house at present?
I hope you are right.
post #27 of 354 (permalink) Old 2011-08-03, 09:52 AM

cat 5/6 is made of copper. I don't know what cat 3 is, but if it's coax, that's what I'm using here, and it works fine.

Owner of Panasonic TC-P60ZT60
post #28 of 354 (permalink) Old 2011-08-03, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Do you have fibreOp running over copper (cat3) in your house at present?
I hope you are right.
Nope. I never said cat-3. I said RG-6 and possibly RG-59. Both are types of coax cable. Homes that were installed by the cable companies would be using coax.

Cat-3 was used for low bandwidth data (10 Mb/s) and phone (pots) runs.
post #29 of 354 (permalink) Old 2011-08-03, 01:38 PM

Quote:
cat 5/6 is made of copper. I don't know what cat 3 is, but if it's coax, that's what I'm using here, and it works fine.
Copper is referring to RG59 or RG6. Anyway that is good news, but the installer said cat5/6 would be needed for the receivers to work.

They will be getting all Black Motorola boxes like like Bell Fibre in Ontario as well soon.
post #30 of 354 (permalink) Old 2011-08-03, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Anyway that is good news, but the installer said cat5/6 would be needed for the receivers to work.
Who ever the installer is, he is wrong. The majority of homes wired here with FibreOP are using coax to the Motorola STBs. The main reason is because the coax was in place because of previous cable installs.

One or two of the threads in this forum have pictures of FibreOP installs and they used coax to the STBs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.