Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Some tidbits on the FibreOP infrastructure

203K views 298 replies 64 participants last post by  AtlanticRebel 
#1 ·
After eliminating the provided FibreOP Actiontec router from my network I thought I would document all I have learned about how the FibreOP infrastructure actually works, so here it is.

Your first question might be why did I eliminate the Actiontec router? Well... I found that when watching multiple HD channels and downloading many high traffic torrents the TV quality would suffer. While the Actiontec router doesn't really have good enough tools to determine the cause I suspect that it just could not handle the sheer number of packets per second. This is because *all* traffic between Bell Aliant and your local network (Internet / IPTV) has to go through the embedded processor within the router. This is a 680MHz ARM processor which can certainly handle sustained traffic, but not lots of tiny packets at the same time. Lots of tiny packets kills lots of equipment out there. I have replaced the router with a dual core Atom server, and even that machine is usually hovering around 13% with my traffic patterns.

When you order any FibreOP service you are assigned a specific router and an ONT. The MAC address of this router is added to your account. You are given access to a management VLAN (a virtual network segment over the ethernet from the ONT). This VLAN is number 33. Bell Aliant can use this to remotely manage your router. As for the ONT it is configured (usually at installation) with a specific timeslot for the fiber you are connected to. With the architecture Bell Aliant has deployed there are actually multiple people on the fiber you are connected to. You get a copy of all their data incoming but since it is encrypted you can only really see yours. As for outgoing data since you can't send light from multiple sources at the same time you have to be synchronized and only send when it is your turn (thus the timeslot value).

When you order FibreOP internet service DHCP access is added to your account and you are given access to the internet VLAN. This VLAN is number 35. The DHCP access is based on the MAC address of your router. If you hook up a different router on this VLAN with DHCP it will not get an IP address unless it is using the same MAC address as your provided router. You can not have a client identifier set in the DHCP client or you will get no DHCP lease.

Additionally if you hook up another router and it's not on any VLAN (well, it's on the default VLAN of 1) you will not be able to get a DHCP lease either and you will not be able to get to anything.

The router does NAT between this VLAN and your local network.

When you order FibreOP TV service you are given access to the IPTV VLAN. Unlike internet service where the router gets an IP address and then NATs this VLAN is actually 'bridged' to your local network. This means that any packets that your router gets and doesn't handle gets forwarded to this IPTV VLAN at Bell Aliant. One thing I learned is that packets going to this VLAN MUST contain a priority of 4 (for video). If you don't have this priority set then the packets are ignored. I suspect Bell Aliant is doing this for filtering purposes.

Let's examine how this works in the real world. When you turn on an IPTV Receiver it sends out a request to get an IP address. The provided router IGNORES this request and instead the request gets forwarded to the IPTV VLAN of Bell Aliant. A server at Bell Aliant provides the receiver with an IP address and also with additional information (where to get firmware, what firmware to get, some other configuration details). This is why you see your IPTV receiver getting a 10.X.X.X address even though your local network might be different. As the receiver contacts various IPTV servers these packets get sent to the router, which forwards them on to the IPTV VLAN and vice versa. The router is essentially a dumb forwarder.

When you tune into a channel the receiver joins a multicast group which is broadcasting the channel. This gets forwarded up the chain so that if equipment in the chain is not yet receiving the channel it shortly will, and if it already is receiving the channel then nothing needs to be done except send it downward.

This is crucial for IPTV since it scales far, there aren't multiple copies of a channel being sent simultaneously in the core infrastructure like a normal UDP stream would be. Multicast is good.

As for bandwidth usage on channels HD channels seem to utilize about 7.45Mbps and SD channels 2.45Mbps.

I think this covers everything I have learned... but if there are any questions feel free to ask and I'll see if I can answer.

See less See more
#3 ·
Yes, that is of course an option but I prefer to have as much control over equipment in my network as possible, which was another reason for replacing the FibreOP router. I have to say, I like the way they have deployed this. Theoretically they could offer a business their own 'network' on the FibreOP infrastructure just by giving them their own VLAN. Quite cool.

#4 ·
Does anyone have any experience replacing the Aliant-provided Actiontec router with a PFSense installation? I have been following the instructions in this thread as well as the following link to no avail (I still for the life of me cannot obtain a DHCP reservation. I'm pretty sure i'm doing it right!)

http://forum.pfsense.org/index.php/topic,34951.msg181022.html#msg181022

Maybe someone who has done this before could re-itterate the steps involved to do so. Just to confirm, I'd like to go directly from the ONT to the WAN port of PFSense and not through the Actiontec router itself.

#5 ·
In reply to file's post

This is how I replaced their Actiontec router with a Linux router. Many thanks file for all the hints.

modprobe 8021q <- module for 802.1Q VLAN networking
ifconfig ethX hw ether 00:00:00:00:00:00 <- replace with the MAC address of the Actiontec WAN MAC
ifconfig ethX 192.168.255.2 netmask 255.255.255.240 up <- bring up the WAN card
vconfig add ethX 35 <- bring up the 35 VLAN on the WAN card
vconfig set_flag ethX.35 1 1 <- you seem to need this to get their DHCP server to talk to you.
dhcpcd -d -t 60 -R ethX.35 <- daaaaa, acquire an IP address.

I hope that helps a few or can be adapted to other OSs.

#49 ·
This is how I replaced their Actiontec router with a Linux router. Many thanks file for all the hints.

modprobe 8021q <- module for 802.1Q VLAN networking
ifconfig ethX hw ether 00:00:00:00:00:00 <- replace with the MAC address of the Actiontec WAN MAC
ifconfig ethX 192.168.255.2 netmask 255.255.255.240 up <- bring up the WAN card
vconfig add ethX 35 <- bring up the 35 VLAN on the WAN card
vconfig set_flag ethX.35 1 1 <- you seem to need this to get their DHCP server to talk to you.
dhcpcd -d -t 60 -R ethX.35 <- daaaaa, acquire an IP address.

I hope that helps a few or can be adapted to other OSs.
Thanks for nuke12, file for the excellent info in this thread. The above steps work perfectly. (For Internet-only, more would have to be done for IPTV)

Changes I made to work on CentOS linux:
Line 3 - just used 'ifconfig ethX up' - didn't require dummy IP
Line 6 - used dhclient instead of dhcpcd (same thing really)

My Actiontec is now unplugged sitting on a shelf, and my linux machine is doing all the work. No more issues or 5 minute leases (with Adv. DMZ).

Don't forget to re-write your iptables rules with the .35 VLAN identifier after the external interface name (ex. eth1 becomes eth1.35).

#7 ·
Are you using Linux? What distro? I'm using Slackware and I can't seem to get that to work.

I picked an IP that is on a different subnet then my own. I can't see any reason for packets going to that IP or subnet unless I specifically send them there. Do you see differently?

#11 ·
file,

You still around?

I have a question on the TV side of things. This is for a friend, as I'm not using Aliant's IPTV.

From your first post in this thread, I gather your using your Ubuntu Server for the internet and your still using the Actiontec for the TV?

If the above is correct, are you using a managed switch (VLAN aware) from the ONT and feeding the other two units?

We also had thoughts of placing a third NIC in his server. Bring VLAN 34 into his Wan card and bridge it over to a VLAN 34 on the added NIC. The added NIC would feed the Actiontec. The savings here would be on buying a managed switch.

Thoughts?

#12 ·
I'm not using the Actiontec *at all*. It's sitting on a shelf looking pretty.

My architecture looks like this:

ONT -> pfSense box -> Managed switch with VLANs

The pfSense box bridges the 34 VLAN to my own internal IPTV VLAN, and works fine.

#15 ·
The Aliant tech converted a phone jack (using CAT5) from phone to an ethernet port.

Could i use this 1 ethernet port in the wall, with a switch/hub, to hook up multiple devices including the PVR? Would i have to do some config changes anywhere to get this to work, if it's even possible?

The ethernet port in the wall hooks directly into the Actiontec router.

#19 ·
Hi,

Been trying to replace the Actiontec router with my WZR-HP-G300NH. It is currently running DD-WRT. I only have internet, no TV. I was wondering if anyone could provide me with set up set up the router to allow it to connect.

I tried using some the of scripts provided but no luck and my knowledge on the subject isn't the best.

#20 ·
We did this at a friends place who has coax feeds to all the STBs but wanted to use his own Linux firewall/NAT.

First I'll explain the setup. He has three ethernet cards in this computer.

1) eth0 - The LAN card and faces his internal network.
2) eth1 - The WAN card. Connects to Bell Aliant's ONT.
3) eth2 - The TV interface and connects to the WAN port on the Actiontec router.

VLAN 34 and 35 both arrive on eth1. VLAN 35 is firewalled and NATed for his internet connection. VLAN 34 is bridged to eth2 so TV is feed to the Actiontec for distribution via coax to the STBs.

This is the script to do this;

Code:
#!/bin/sh

##################### internet connection ###################

modprobe 8021q
ifconfig eth1 up
vconfig add eth1 35
ifconfig eth1.35 hw ether 00:15:05:xx:xx:xx
vconfig set_flag eth1.35 1 1
/sbin/dhcpcd -R -Y -N -d -t 60 eth1.35

##################### TV connection #########################

ifconfig eth2 up

vconfig add eth1 34
vconfig add eth2 34

vconfig set_egress_map eth1.34 0 4
vconfig set_egress_map eth2.34 0 4

ifconfig eth1.34 up
ifconfig eth2.34 up

brctl addbr br34
brctl addif br34 eth1.34
brctl addif br34 eth2.34

ifconfig br34 up

#22 ·
This should work for people that have cat5 or better to the STBs. This assumes the same three ethernet cards in the Linux server (as above) but eth2 is connected to a switch instead of the Actiontec.

Not actually tested by me. Just my thoughts.

Code:
##################### TV connection #########################

vconfig add eth1 34

vconfig set_egress_map eth1.34 0 4

ifconfig eth2 up
ifconfig eth1.34 up

brctl addbr br34
brctl addif br34 eth2
brctl addif br34 eth1.34

ifconfig br34 up
I'm still not clear if Aliant does both ethernet and coax feeds to the STBs in the same household. If they do, so far I'm not sure how that is done.

#23 ·
i asked an installer the same thing but they said they cannot have a mix of STB'S having coax and Ethernet because it will mess up the whole home PVR option.

i myself am fine with the actiontec router as it is the only wifi router i have experienced that i do not have to powercycle and have no connection issues

#26 ·
Not that I have seen mention of.

It might be possible. It also depends on the hardware DD-WRT is installed on. I have a couple of Linksys WRT54Gs with DD-WRT installed. The units support VLANs but the GUI interface does not allow VLANs over number 15. So, in order to use the unit on FibreOP, the person will have to configure everything from the shell. Possible, but will take some work.

#27 ·
Installation advice needed

Hi Folks

I've been reading the posts with great interest (and almost zero understanding).

I have been looking into Bell Alaint Fibre Optic bundle. They are offering a some solid pricing over and above the posted rates to keep my buisness. I therefore am seriouly considering going Fibre Optic.

However my technical knowledge is lacking and am looking to you guys for guidance.

My house is now wired for Bell express vu sateliite and maybe older eastlink cable. So, do i need to insist they run all new special wire (is it Ethernet ?) in order to maximise the fibre optic signal. I assume they will shortcut as much as possible as we have 3 tvs in 3 diff rooms that are far apart. Only one tv will be HD and its quite close to the desktop, and also close to the incoming existing cables (all the same rec room).
And with all the talk about modems or routers should i ask for something special.

Let me reword this- what exactly should i insist on from them in order to maximise my internet and tv viewing pleasure.

Thanks in advance- i truly realise i'm way out of league when it comes to the technical side of this. (my skill is getting the best price :))

#28 ·
The installer will run cat5 drops to your TVs if possible. If he has to use your existing coax runs you won't notice a difference in picture quality as long as the cables are terminated properly.

You don't need to request anything special, the Actiontec is one of the better ISP-supplied gateways out there. Unless you have a specific need for your router to do VPN etc you'll be fine.

Honestly my experience with Aliant techs has been really good, and they seem to be very accommodating regarding where they put the drops and where they run the cable.

#30 ·
So I have attempted to setup and remove the actiontec router.. I have a HP procurve switch that i have done the following.

1. Create VLAN 35
2. Port 25 is Tagged VLan 35 and connected to ONT
3. Port 26 is untagged VLAN 35 and connect to DDwrt router via wan port with MAC Address cloned to match the actiontec router..

Does this seem correct? I still cannot get a DHCP address on the WRT Router.

#31 ·
That sounds about right but I haven't tried this with managed switches.

I will tell you a little secret. The Actiontec gets a 2 hour lease from Aliant. The new firmware on the Actiontec allows you to release and renew the IP but we found it didn't work correctly. We found you had to wait 2 hours (with the Actiontec disconnected) for the lease to expire before you could get an IP on another machine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.