Telus on demand - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 2010-11-18, 01:24 AM
Originally Posted by Pinza View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble but both Telus and Bell TV offer full 1080p VOD from their HD PVR's.

This is the Telus Satellite thread, the receiver being discussed is the 9241, the exact same one used by Bell TV.
Please don't quote me out of context. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough, I was referring to TV broadcasts not VOD content.

To my knowledge no provider currently gives its customers access to 1080p signals for HD TV broadcasts, either compressed or uncompressed. I certainly can't see it happening with Optik unless new 'lossless' compression methods become available, and while that is quite likely around the corner, its not here yet. For TELUS the bandwidth required for 1080p on Optik using MPEG4 compression would be too great. Maybe if we were all fiber fed, all the way to our homes, but ATM not enough TELUS customers are to make this possible.

Anyone with info to the contrary? I would appreciate links.

Quite right though this isn't the Optik thread

Last edited by Wiremonkey; 2010-11-18 at 01:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 2010-11-18, 07:42 AM
Your original statement;

No providers currently offer 1080P.
Was and still is incorrect, regardless of the context.

That was what I was correcting and then explaining.

You then go on to say
You can get 1080P over the air by antenna if you're within range of the station
Well yes of course and you can, you can also get 1080p from a Sat provider, if they allocate sufficient bandwidth for it, same goes for Cable or Fibre providers.

No one transmits 1080p terrestrially, at the moment, as far as I know and only Bell transmit 1080p via Sat directly to the HD PVR's Hard Drive at the moment, unless you know differently.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 2011-07-05, 01:27 AM

Umm this is Telus Sat we're talking about here isn't it? AKA which is from Bell, Not Optik. IPTV and Sat are two different things.
The Telus PVR Cisco 430 is IPTV. So my question is? Why are you talking about Optik Pvr in Telus Sat forms?

Pinza is correct, As far I know Telus Sat/Bell and does not Direct TV also now too also offer "Vod"1080p Movies?

Yes currently for live broadcast tv it is only max of 1080i. But VOD from Bell (& Telus sat) /DirectTV and I thought there was one more? Oh FreeHD Canada was suppose have 1080p support too. If they ever launch/start up.

Does Starchoice have VOD 1080p? (er ShawDirect? )

Optik can hardly do HD now, it is why I am switching to Telus sat,
a) Poor HD/SD quality
b) poor Sound quality/issue and there no 5.1 DD info.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 2011-07-05, 11:06 PM
This thread is nearly 8 months old. Check the date and try to let it go.

I know youíve had issues with your Optik (and or TELUS) and thatís regrettable. Don't presuppose that everyone has had the same experience that you have.

FWIW, I've taken the DD 5.1 notification in the guide issue to those who care and have been informed itís on its way.

- another TELUS tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.