Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Bell Fibe TV/PVR issues

12K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  rafaed 
#1 ·
Hello everyone.
I have Fibe TV recording PVR issues.
They seemed to happen only with Sporting events.
I have series set up to record and they have no issues.
When i set up sports games, about 50% of the time it does not start the recording. Or sometimes it starts but then stops it sometimes 3 mins in, sometimes 40 mins in (times vary) .
If i notice it i go and set it up again and at this time i will have no problems, but i have to keep remembering that i should have a game recording and i should check if its happening. The whole idea is not to worry about it but i spend a lot of time cross referencing if the recording is taking place.
I also noticed that sometimes it will record a small part of the game and then the recording disappears. When i restart the receiver, that small recording will show up.
I thought maybe its the receiver but realized that i have had it changed and the same issue is happening. I also confirmed with my brother that his receiver does similar things.
Most of the time the missed recordings are same on both receivers (located in different households). This to me is an indicator that something happens at the programming level where it cancels the recording for anyone trying to record, but i am not sure if its true. If it is true what can we do about it?
Thank you

See less See more
#2 ·
Are you attempting to record these programmes on an American channel and are the programmes also broadcast on a Canadian channel? If so, set the PVR to record the Canadian channel instead. As the switch occurs from a US channel to a Canadian channel that is simsubbing the programme, there are glitches that often occur with the signal that affects the PVR.

#4 ·
I've often noticed that a game will show in the listings on all 5 TSN channels or all 6 Sportsnet channels, and if I start watching at the beginning of the game, it will often stop and then show that it's blacked out for that channel and then I have to switch to the channel assigned to my geographic area.

This may be happening to you if you are trying to record games as a series.

I don't understand what sport has games on at the same time every week on the same channel? Certainly not any sports that I watch. I have to take my teams schedule and manually go each week and set the game to record - not a series, but a one time recording.

#5 ·
Thank you for the response. I only set up the recording on the channel that is meant for Ontario. I know that its the correct channel because, once i notice that it didnt record i end up hitting recording when the game is already in progress and it starts recording.
As for the series, i think there was a bit of a confusion.
Of course i do not record the games as series.
When i mentioned series i meant normal TV series (Big Bang Theory, Simpsons...). Just wanted to give a comparable that those shows dont have any issues recording. Its only the sporting events that do have issues. (I set them up as individual recordings)

Example: 2 days ago i went in the morning and set up to record the Hockey game at 7pm.
At 7:15 i checked and noticed that it was recording the game.
At 7:30 i checked again and notices that it stopped recording.
In the recordings i could not find the first piece of it, so i reset the receiver and it appeared.
So now i had a 24 minute recording of the hockey game (i guess it stopped for some reason after 24 minutes)
Realizing that i dont have the whole game recorded and it is still live, i went back into guide and pressed record again.
This time the game recorded (from 2nd period- because thats when i restated the recording) to the end.

If i did not notice that it stopped (which has happened many times), i would turn on the recordings to watch the game and see that it never recorded it.

Hopefully that makes sense.

#6 ·
OK yeah it makes sense now. I have to admit that's really weird, and unfortunately I don't have any good answers why?

I guess you could try and see if a manual recording setup would work. It's a bit more button pushing, but I do it on TSN all the time because for some reason they insist on scheduling hockey games for only 2.5 hours. This means I almost always miss the last 5 minutes or the overtime/shootout. So I set a manual recording for longer. I guess you could try that as an experiment and see if it ever messes up.

#8 ·
Had another missed recording today but i think i realized what made a difference.
I noticed that when i set the game to record in the description it said "No information available"
When i noticed that it skipped the recording i checked the description again and noticed that now they had some long description in there about the game.
It looks that it resets the setup for recording if the description gets changed.
Is there something i can do about that?

#9 ·
But, I don't understand why a Manual Recording would also fail since the manual doesn't care about the content - it just records from a start time to an end time that you set. Those times can span different shows without any problem, so the program content is ignored.

Yet you say that manual also messes up sometimes?

elyk

#10 ·
Based on the description of the issue in post 1, I didn't mention this earlier, but is it possible that the programme simply gets moved to another of the 5 TSN channels? I have noticed quite often that if I set a recording (say F1 race) on Monday for the following Sunday, the programme is often moved later in the week to another channel. Say TSN4 to TSN3? I always check my scheduled recordings for F1 races later in the week in an attempt to avoid these sorts of problems.

#11 ·
> It looks that it resets the setup for recording if the description gets changed.

This has happened to me so often with sporting events that I usually don't even bother to set a recording until the day of the event. The mobile app is critical for making this a practical strategy.

I consider it a bug; updating the episode description in the program guide should never invalidate a scheduled single-episode (or standalone) recording. I can see the argument if it was a series recording and the description changed from first run to repeat. But other than that, this is just a recipe for missed recordings.

-A

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.