Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

How to Bypass Home Hub 2000

27K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Henry Valk 
#1 ·
Hi All,
I am new to this forum so excuse me if this has been answer before. If so, please direct me to the link.
Otherwise I am trying bypass the BELL hub 2000 and go directly from the modem to network switch and then my tv, computer wired. If that makes sense. In a nut shell I have flashed DD WRT router that i wish to use for VPN purposes. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks all.

#2 ·
Not sure I am fully understanding, but here is what I did as I think this is what you want.

I have the HH2000 and my own Netgear R7000 router.

The R7000 is connected to the HH2000 by network cable. In the HH2000 settings, I put the R7000 in the DMZ and set the IP manually (reserved). In the R7000 Internet IP settings, I set the R7000 get the IP address dynamically. This ensures the R7000 gets the IP address from the HH2000, and it will also set the default gateway to the HH2000 (or it should at least); if this doesn't happen you can set those values manually.

I also turned off the wifi on the HH2000 and only use the wifi on the R7000, since this would force all my devices to connect to the internet via my router (R7000) and not the HH2000, this would ensure your VPN connection is used at all times.

There is no impact (at least none that I have seen) on the Fibe TV service, since all that still runs through the HH2000, including the VAP if you have one (for connecting the wireless receivers to the PVR/Fibe TV service).

#5 ·
From reading this, it sounds like there is no real way to completely remove the HH2000 or HH3000 from the Bell Fibe system. I use Tomato firmware on my router and I connect to Fibe with my Tomato router but if I remove the HH3000 and assign both VLAN 35 and VLAN 36 to the WAN, I get my internet but Fibe TV will not work. For that reason I need to keep my HH3000 plugged in which sucks.

#6 ·
Bell Home Wireless Service HH2000 using your own router

The Bell Home Wireless Internet service is for rural areas and operates on the mobility network, I believe at this point 4g. The speeds I get are around 25m down and 1m up, I know that for people on fibe etc these speeds seem slow, but for any rural internet available in my are they are very good. The hardware consists of an antennae box located on the outside of the house pointed at the cell tower and a HH2000 on the inside. I am not sure of the connection, but I do not have a PPoE, HH2000 internet connection is set to WAN ethernet.

My issue was with the HH2000 not being able to handle my routing needs, as far as I can tell it would get overloaded and drop internet connection every couple minutes. A ping -t test showed that the connection was unreachable for 10 - 20 sec. every 2 - 5 minutes. This caused problems especially with my live streaming of radio among other things. Bell Tech support was of little or no help. I did finally find a solution after much hair pulling and a visit from bell technician who said it was working fine and hours on phone. I found a solution on the forums that worked for me so I thought I would pass it along.

I am using a TP-Link AC2800 Mu- NINO Archer A10 router
I wanted the TP-Link to be responsible for routing and DHCP

The settings I used:

internet setting on router: (tp-link way of saying WAN)

static ip 192.168.2.2 (HH2000 fixed ip is 192.168.2.1)
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
default gateway: 192.168.2.1 (HH2000 ip)
Primary DNS: 192.168.2.1
Secondary DNS: 192.168.2.1
MYU: 1500 (default)

I then set up Lan on different ip whatever you use for home network, I used (10.x.x.x) just to differentiate for myself

Connect Router WAN to LAN on HH2000

I disabled Wifi and DHCP on HH2000

Everything seems to be operating well. No longer having the drop issues I did before.

Bell Tech support will tell you that the system will not work without routing being controlled by HH2000 and that it will not work with your own router etc. As a side not we had 26 devices connected to the LAN, large household and many devices.

I may have double NAT with this setup, has not seemed to effect the speeds in my normal range. The DMZ setting in HH2000 is not available, it seems that it has already DMzed the router, not sure if it is in bridge mode. At this point it is working for my requirements.
originally got down this path from this post
https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r3...0-to-internal-private-network-with-own-router
my settings our little different.

Thanks for time and input people have put on all the forums.

I hope this saves someone else some time.

DonnieC

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.