Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Bell Fibe TV getting Autotune (Reminder/timer) feature in an update?

11K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  Montrealer 
#1 ·
I spoke to a technician at Bell Fibe TV about the Autotune feature that only Bell Satellite has . Their supervisor said to tell me that it is coming to Bell Fibe TV in an update but they don't know when.
If someone who has Bell Fibe TV notices this update please tell me on this thread so I can switch services from Bell Satellite to Bell Fibe TV.

#10 ·
It is useful for people who are busy watching a recorded programme, but wish to be reminded of a live programme that they wish to watch at the appropriate time. As I mentioned in another thread, I like to watch the news at 11PM live and I set a reminder for that. It signals the end of the evening's viewing, even when I may be engrossed in a recorded programme I'm watching.

It can also be useful for the physically impaired. There was a comment here or over on Rogers where someone had a spouse who could not use a remote or change channels, but wished to watch TV during the day. The able-bodied spouse programmed all the reminders and the channels used to come up automatically all day for the physically impaired person. The new firmware doesn't do this and I'm not sure what the able-bodied person is doing now for the impaired one.

#11 ·
This feature is also handy for those who still have external VCR's and DVR's.

Don't laugh, those devices still are in service in more places than you'd expect.

I used the timers for changing channels on Cogeco's SD boxes all the time a few years ago.

Cameron

Reactions: JSW
#12 ·
I spoke to a technician at Bell Fibe TV about the Autotune feature that only Bell Satellite has . Their supervisor said to tell me that it is coming to Bell Fibe TV in an update but they don't know when.
If someone who has Bell Fibe TV notices this update please tell me on this thread so I can switch services from Bell Satellite to Bell Fibe TV.
The feature is coming? I note this was dated 2016, this is 2021. When is it coming? Unaccdeptable.

#15 ·
It's not likely that the autotune feature will ever be implemented in the Mediaroom platform that Bell Fibe TV uses. Although there are a few different scenarios where that feature may be useful, the main reason for developing it on other Set-top boxes (STBs) was to change to the channel so a VCR would record the correct program. Those days are long-gone, but some old designs still have the feature.

Mediaroom was developed as a whole-home PVR where all the recording is done centrally and available to all the STBs in the home, so there was no need to have a separate PVR for every TV (or worse, a plain STB connected to a VCR). All the scheduling is done on the central PVR and the individual STBs don't have any scheduling code.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.